Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,618
What I really need instead of a larger scooter (I don't want a maxi) is a route across the country. I have read many ride reports from people who have done this on small scooters, and they never did have a route. I tried to get Wan's route over on totalruckus.com, but could only get small parts of it. Many of the backroads are not on maps. Trying to piece together a route is very frustrating, I keep running into dead ends, or places where the route runs concurrently with a freeway for many miles. It seems that with as many people that have done it, there would be more information on the routes they took. I did find several bicycle routes, but they included a lot of freeway shoulders, where motor vehicles are not allowed. Many AZ interstates allow bicycles to be ridden on the shoulder. The reason for that is because there really is no other practical route that lets you avoid the freeways altogether.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #62
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Check out www. Vespa360.com
P- series taken around the world! And then one final trip to put it in the vespa museum (that last rides is on youtube)
Try www. Hondavstheworld. Com
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #63
xbeemer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
When I was 16 I rode a Lambretta 2 stroke, 3 (4?) speed handlebar shift, pedal rear brake scooter from Norfolk, VA, to Siren WI (just east of Minneapolis, MN). I rode due west to Indianapolis, then north. It was the adventure of my young life. This was in 1959, so there wasn't much of an Interstate, mostly 2 lane roads the whole way. Good thing too because that Lambretta had a high speed of maybe 55 going downhill with wind at my back.

I loved that old scooter, my brother inherited it when I went into the Navy; then the baby brother got it after that.

This was my 2nd bike, the 1st being a 50 cc moped. After that I went through a couple Hondas, then settled on BMW boxers. Have done a lot of cross country on the beemers, but the Lambretta tour remains the high point of my touring memories.

Now, at 70, I'm going back full circle, back to a scooter again.
xbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #64
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
It's legal to ride on a highway or freeway with a bike with less than 150cc or whatever hp rule they have in CA when their are no practical alternatives. IE:; for one The Golden Gate Bridge. I used to ride my Honda S90 on the bridge all the time to get to Marin. I had to get off at the first exit and take alternative roads, which, as we all know, are generally more fun/interesting. To "legally ride" sans freeway & freeway bridges from SF to Sausalito would actually take about 250 miles instead of the 5 miles taking the bridge. So no one ever bothered me whether it had the hp or displacement. I am fairly sure no one cares about this on the Bay Bridge either, as I've seen some pretty small scooters on that bridge as well.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #65
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
It's legal to ride on a highway or freeway with a bike with less than 150cc or whatever hp rule they have in CA when their are no practical alternatives. IE:; for one The Golden Gate Bridge. I used to ride my Honda S90 on the bridge all the time to get to Marin. I had to get off at the first exit and take alternative roads, which, as we all know, are generally more fun/interesting. To "legally ride" sans freeway & freeway bridges from SF to Sausalito would actually take about 250 miles instead of the 5 miles taking the bridge. So no one ever bothered me whether it had the hp or displacement. I am fairly sure no one cares about this on the Bay Bridge either, as I've seen some pretty small scooters on that bridge as well.
From my weak googling I've found California posts a "no scooters less than 150cc" rule. Also saw mention that Arizona used to have signs saying "no less than 175cc." But haven't scene any mentions for other states. To my knowledge NM doesn't have anything other than not allowing motorized bicycles which would encompass 50cc scoots here.

Any other states with a 150cc rule that people know about?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #66
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Here is a thread on Modern Vespa that list some states regs.

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiman007
With your help, we will compile an unprecedented list of the minimum motorcycle engine displacement requirements for interstate freeway riding (if any and what cc) for each of the 50 states in the United States.

As soon as reliable intel comes in, I will update the list below, with links to specific pages (state government ones if possible) where these laws, codes, or requirements are clearly stated. I welcome all good info, facts, official e-mails, and links. No unsubstantiated personal claims, please.

Thank you all for pitching in!

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California -- 150cc
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida -- 150cc
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan -- 125cc
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey -- no specific requirement
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
South Carolina
North Dakota
South Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Tennessee -- 126cc
Texas -- no specific requirement
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming
I was reading St. Joseph in Missouri's PD interpretation, and wondered if one could play both sides against the middle?
LINK
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJosephMo
A motorized bicycle is defined as any two-wheeled or three-wheeled de- vice having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder ca- pacity of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, which produces less than three gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground. (City Ordinance 28-1) If the vehicle does not meet all of these require- ments, it must be licensed as a motor vehicle.

A motorized bicycle is not required to be licensed or have insurance. However, the operator of a motorized bicycle is required to have a valid driver’s license. (City Ordinance 28-337 and 28-929)

The operator of a motorized bicycle is required to obey all the same traf- fic laws as an operator of a motor vehicle. (City Ordinance 28-928)
Motorized bicycles are not allowed to operate on any public road- way designated as part of the federal interstate highway system. (City Ordinance 28-929)

These roadways in the city of St. Joseph are as follows: • Interstate I-29
• Interstate I-229 • Belt Highway from North City Limits to 169 Hwy and I-29 • Frederick Ave. from I-29 to 9th Street • 9th and 10th Street from Frederick to Garfield • Garfield from 9th to 22nd Street • Pear from 22nd Street to the Belt Hwy

You may cross these roadways but you may not operate for any distance on these roadways.

Helmets are not required if the vehicle meets the definition of a motor- ized bicycle, but helmet use is strongly encouraged.
So, if you had a licensed 50cc Scooter capable of 35mph on level ground would it be legal to run on the Interstate in Missouri?

PS- what is interesting is assuming they are correct, multiple surface streets are off limits as they are part of the Interstate Highway System.

Jurgen screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 06:21 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #67
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

PS-- apologies for the mild thread hi-jack, it is just I have a 50cc Scooter fantasy (very long trip) and the route requires some Interstate travel. Due to this, I began thinking a Yamaha Zuma 125... In fantasy mode now, but every trip has to start somewhere.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #68
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I notice that there is still no information on most of those states. AZ lists the freeways where bicycles may be ridden on the shoulder, even lists the mileposts. Between the mileposts where they are prohibited there are reasonable alternative routes. I have spent hours searching the rules and regulations and and the only thing I can find is motorized cycles are prohibited on freeways, and they seem to be defined as having less than 5 hp. The Zuma 125 has over 8 hp. This information is very vague however, and there are numerous other laws that also cover the same thing. For example, even if your vehicle meets their technical requirement, you could still be cited for impeding the flow of traffic. Then there is the "slow moving vehicle" law, which applies everywhere except freeways, allowing vehicles to operate at very slow speeds on roads with up to 65 mph speed limits. The vehicle must be equipped with flashing amber lights and a slow moving vehicle reflective red triangle. Then there is yet another law that allows a slow moving vehicle on all non freeway roads without the lights and triangle, which would apply to someone towing a trailer in the mountains or under other circumstances where they cannot keep up with traffic. That law requires the vehicle to pull over if there are 5 other vehicles behind them, and let them pass. Seems like for every traffic law AZ has, there are multiple exceptions.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #69
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
As someone pointed out, legal isn't necessarily smart.

If I were cross-country-ing with a scoot...I'd want at least speed of 55. Displacement is secondary since there's such a wide disparity...but there is a REAL danger of getting struck from behind.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #70
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,927
I rode my Bajaj 150 on a local highway one time and was almost killed.

The real danger is if a car is tailgating you, it blocks the car behind it from seeing you. When the tailgater decides he has "had enough" and races around you to pass, the next car behind him might be coming at 65+mph while you are doing 55.

That happened a couple of times to me within about 2 miles between exits and I couldn't get off fast enough. Never again.

If I were ever to do a cross country trip on a small scoot, I would want at least a 250cc "in case" I had to get on a highway. One can always ride a 250cc slowly on backroads (where available) and enjoy the sights.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #71
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
I met these guys in Peru...

http://honda50.cc/
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #72
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I read a ride report where a couple rode across the U.S. on Symbas, before having them shipped to Africa, where they continued their journey. I can't find it now. I never did get the route they took.

Pedestrians, motor driven cycles, and sometimes bicycles are what are prohibited on AZ freeways. Check out their definition of a motor driven cycle, about halfway down the page.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...word=emissions
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #73
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I read a ride report where a couple rode across the U.S. on Symbas, before having them shipped to Africa, where they continued their journey. I can't find it now.
this one?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #74
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Instead of researching scooter touring, try bicycle touring... they cross the country all the time and know all the routes. Even a lot of the gear (ultra lite, etc ) is crossover.
Any search engine worth a damns mapping has the options to avoid freeways or bicycle mode.
Creative thinking outside the box.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #75
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Instead of researching scooter touring, try bicycle touring... they cross the country all the time and know all the routes. Even a lot of the gear (ultra lite, etc ) is crossover.
Any search engine worth a damns mapping has the options to avoid freeways or bicycle mode.
Creative thinking outside the box.

I did try the bicycle route thing. And maps and routes for bicyclists certainly do exist, but don't do me much good where I'm at. In many western states, it is legal to ride a pedal powered bicycle on interstate shoulders for hundreds of miles at the time, but motor driven cycles are prohibited. Most bicycle routes include large sections of freeways.

But many people have crossed the country on small scooters as well. There is/was an organization called Wandering Wheels, which had been around for a long time. They were a large group pf people who rode bicycles cross country. But eventually they got to old to ride bicycles that far, and switched to 50cc Kymco scooters. I tried to get information from them with no success.

As far as Wan's journey, he apparently did a lot of illegal riding, and got lucky. It seems he eventually did get stopped while riding down the median on I-5 in CA.

There are many old non freeway routes across the U.S., like Route 66. But sections of these routes are missing, and they detour onto and run along with freeways for many miles. I took route 70 from Globe, AZ to Lordsburg, NM, which is where it came to a temporary end, and connected onto I-10 east. It was a nice trip, through several old towns from the '30s and '40s, but didn't get me very far.