Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
KLR 650 Rear wheel bearing/hub question?

My buddy has an '07 KLR 650 and he commutes daily on. He takes very good care of his bike, and maintains the bike very well. But he is having bearing issues.....the left side bearing on the wheel has grenaded twice in 40k!!! I mean, cage and all!!! Last time it was professionaly installed, and the time before he installed them. He's using factory bearings. Well today he came by to replace the set he had a dealer install. And I noticed that even though we had the bearings fresh out of the freezer, that bearing slid right in the hub with NO pressure!!! As though the hub has worn out....we checked the old outer race and they are proper sized bearings. Is it possible the hub is worn out??? thx
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Yes....is the spacer between the hub and carrier present? How are the bearings in the carrier? After temps cooled/warmed how is the bearing sitting in the hub...tight?
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Yes....is the spacer between the hub and carrier present? How are the bearings in the carrier? After temps cooled/warmed how is the bearing sitting in the hub...tight?
Oh yeah, spacer present. Knew about that potention problem. After about 30 mins, the bearing could be removed with a finger.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Anybody else got any info? It's weird, all the KLR stuff out there on the web and not one thing about this possible problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,397
I am taking a long shot here, look and see if the spacer in the hub itself is still there (between the 2 bearings), who knows, i have seen all kinds of weird things happen, get left out, lost while being wrenched on etc.
That should not have any effect on the left side sprocket hub bearing, wont hurt to see.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
it sounds like the bore in teh hub is too large . . . many different ways that could happen . . . .

one potential fix is to knurl the ID of the hub . . . . most big machine shops should be able to handle the job . . . . even with a hand-knurler . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Another thought, is this Mikes bike, he rides off road some too, right, are the factory bearings sealed on one side only, the DR650 is that way, i have never had to replace my KLR bearings but have had to replace 2 complete sets of DR bearings on low mileage bikes, the DR ones are sealed on one side only, i replaced them with good quality double sealed electric service application bearings, no problems since.

Water does get into places and that is what makes the single side sealed bearings go, i have found a bearing spply house close by that carries the good stuff, the electric service bearings are a little closer tolerance.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,870
I may make now a totally forbidden statement; something one should NEVER utter, as a maximum; and . . . something totally irrelevant as a minimum:

I have witnessed bearing housings SHIMMED with metal foil, when a tighter fit was desired . . .

Oh? Is this expedient akin to using pork rind under automobile engine crankshaft bearing halves? Perhaps!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Another thought, is this Mikes bike, he rides off road some too, right, are the factory bearings sealed on one side only, the DR650 is that way, i have never had to replace my KLR bearings but have had to replace 2 complete sets of DR bearings on low mileage bikes, the DR ones are sealed on one side only, i replaced them with good quality double sealed electric service application bearings, no problems since.

Water does get into places and that is what makes the single side sealed bearings go, i have found a bearing spply house close by that carries the good stuff, the electric service bearings are a little closer tolerance.
Hiya Phil!!!

Yep, it's Mikes bike.....weirdest thing, that bearing just falls into the hub. No pressure! this is the 3rd one he has grenaded in a year....and they're sealed non factory bearing from a bearing shop. I measured them just to be sure. he does ride the shit out of that bike, so may just be that. I looked at the schematic and watched him do it and he had the collar the right way and the spacer in the right place.

My Step sister just did some Cades Cove history/story tellin' stuff about her family, Whiteheads and Coopers!! I keep forgetting to tell her about you and Bobby. If you give me your last names, I'll tell her! Her name is Becky Thompson....her husband passed away back in August, but she's a Whitehead thru and thru!!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,647
"If one keeps on doing the same thing and then expects a different outcome..."

There are 3 bearings in the rear wheel assembly. 2 in the hub and 1 in the sproket carrier. Are you referring to the bearing in the hub or the sprocket assembly?

Sounds as though the bearing housing is no longer to tolerance- is that all? The initial reason for the failure may never have been properly investigated and just throwing more bearings at it will not resolve the underlying cause. Has it been measured?

Knurling may be a temp fix for the bearing fitment, but the the cause? Having two bearings now fail may have made 'it' worse to the point if cant be properly fixed.

Pictures of the bearings- the bore and what is left? When things break they often leave signs of the causes.

KLR hubs and bearings are pretty robust and not know for going south.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hiya Phil!!!

Yep, it's Mikes bike.....weirdest thing, that bearing just falls into the hub. No pressure! this is the 3rd one he has grenaded in a year....and they're sealed non factory bearing from a bearing shop. I measured them just to be sure. he does ride the shit out of that bike, so may just be that. I looked at the schematic and watched him do it and he had the collar the right way and the spacer in the right place.

My Step sister just did some Cades Cove history/story tellin' stuff about her family, Whiteheads and Coopers!! I keep forgetting to tell her about you and Bobby. If you give me your last names, I'll tell her! Her name is Becky Thompson....her husband passed away back in August, but she's a Whitehead thru and thru!!
You know i was married into that Whitehead clan from the cove, my kids mom is a Whitehead.

Any how, back to bearings, i once saw Holycaveman JB weld his rear hub bearing in place one evening, he went to sleep that night under his tarp ( thats how he camps) woke up in the morning put the wheel on the bike and rode it that way for a while, till he could get another hub.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
You know i was married into that Whitehead clan from the cove, my kids mom is a Whitehead.
Well, this one was born with club feet...so she can't run very fast.

And it is the left bearing in the HUB.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
I've had that happen to my xt600, but after over 100.000km of use (and abuse)

The solution for me was a thin metal"sheet" made for just that:

Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
big_papa_nuts
n00b

Oddometer: 6
There are a couple solutions. My first approach would be a retaining compound from Loctite. 609, 680, 660 are three options for varying tolerances. Do some measuring and use the right one.

Second option would be a bearing shim, like Jens posted.

I would also do some measuring and make sure none of the spacers got crushed or damaged. There is some reason the bearings keep blowing out and you should try to figure out why before you go through the trouble.
big_papa_nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
Factory sealed.....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote