User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Lemo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Flooding problem, please help

I have a 1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 and i need HELP!

The bike is flooding and leaking a Dark colored Gas out of the air box(drain hose and side panel). I can easily start it (I left it all winter with gas in it and it started with one kick)but it stays running with gas pouring out. If i set the idle high i can even ride the bike with it leaking so bad. It is a very fast drip but not a steady stream the whole time.

Before this, it would flood through the carb overflow hose every so often; it would die and i had to let it sit or drain the carb. then it would be good for days or weeks.

No other problems with the bike. All the hoses seem to be clear and unplugged.

It ran ok for me when i bought it and i rode it for about a month on the street.......it seems like CONTINUAL carb problems. the floater came broke so i bought a new one and set it to the right height. Someone rebuilt the choke or something so the choke doesnt really work...darn PO.

I dont know what could be wrong and its really frustrating. I took the carb apart over 4 times in the fall and it randomly floods so often. I also replaced the black vacuum plunger valve in the carb; it came with a melted one.

Please tell me what you think. Thank you!!
Lemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemo View Post
I have a 1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 and i need HELP!

The bike is flooding and leaking a Dark colored Gas out of the air box(drain hose and side panel). I can easily start it (I left it all winter with gas in it and it started with one kick)but it stays running with gas pouring out. If i set the idle high i can even ride the bike with it leaking so bad. It is a very fast drip but not a steady stream the whole time.

Before this, it would flood through the carb overflow hose every so often; it would die and i had to let it sit or drain the carb. then it would be good for days or weeks.

No other problems with the bike. All the hoses seem to be clear and unplugged.

It ran ok for me when i bought it and i rode it for about a month on the street.......it seems like CONTINUAL carb problems. the floater came broke so i bought a new one and set it to the right height. Someone rebuilt the choke or something so the choke doesnt really work...darn PO.

I dont know what could be wrong and its really frustrating. I took the carb apart over 4 times in the fall and it randomly floods so often. I also replaced the black vacuum plunger valve in the carb; it came with a melted one.

Please tell me what you think. Thank you!!
WOW .......you certainly need help! Have you considered taking it to a mechanic? After 4 attempts and not much carb knowledge, that may be a good idea. If the float, (I guess you are calling this the floater) is good, and set right and the needle valve and seat are good then it won't overflow, (I guess you are calling this flooding).
Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
I'm going to wager your carb is overflowing because of a faulty float valve- it's allowing fuel to overflow up through the carb and it's running back to and out of the airbox. If you have had the carb apart it is also possible you have set the float height incorrectly, but this is less likely.

Fortunately, it sounds like the gas isn't flowing into the engine- if it were the cylinder would fill up and the fuel would eventually leak past the rings and flood the crankcase. The fix should be as simple as replacing the float valve and it's seat, then resetting the float height. Any decent manual for your machine should provide a good description of how to do this.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Another thought- you haven't mentioned how far or how much you have tried to drive since you had the first float issue. Have you checked the oil? If your leaking carb dumped a full load of fuel into the sump the black gas may be a mix of fuel and oil being ejected through the airbox via the crankcase breather. If you check your oil and find it obviously diluted and WAAAAAY too full you need to drain it and replace it before proceeding.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Lemo OP
n00b

thanks for the replies. i just ordered some parts. the float seemed to be working well when it was apart but i guess i may as well replace it.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Modern floats rarely saturate and sink, the usual suspect is the needle and seat or valve as some people call it.
These wear out and deteriorate over time, contaminated fuel can also prevent the needle from fully seating and sealing off the flow of gas.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Lemo OP
n00b

yikes there is indeed gas in the oil. dang. i shoulda thought of that.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Drain and replace oil and filter. You may have corrected the carb problem allready and the engine is trying to get rid of all the extra volume in the case. Once you have the proper amount of fresh oil in it see if the carb is still overflowing by placing the petcock in "prime" and monitor for leakage.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
Drain and replace oil and filter. You may have corrected the carb problem allready and the engine is trying to get rid of all the extra volume in the case. Once you have the proper amount of fresh oil in it see if the carb is still overflowing by placing the petcock in "prime" and monitor for leakage.
+1 with the case drain open, and no oil inside. It's best to not ruin two batches of oil. If it's still leaking and you end up opening the carb, be sure to wet-set the float level (use a length of clear tubing connected to the float bowl drain to see the fuel level in the bowl).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Lemo OP
n00b

thanks again.

I decided to sell the bike. When the guy looked at it, it didnt flood on him...dang.

Disregard the request.