User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
rycomm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Trade WeeStrom for Tiger 955i ?

I ran across an 06 Tiger 955i that is well equipped and has around 15K on it. I currently have an 07 DL650 with 18K on it. It has been pretty well accesorized. I would like to add a center stand and find a better seat, but other than that, it is ready for commuting, touring, or gravel road running. The Tiger has a center stand. I've been told the stock tiger seat is more than adequate. It has full factory luggage.
I also have a DRZ400 for true dual sporting, so the "off road" capability is not as much as a factor.

The trade would be pretty close to even, if I sell the DL outright, and sell some of the accesories separately.

Here is my summary of what I know about both:

The Wee gets better gas mileage.
The Tiger has more HP.
Both are about the same on the highway.
Both are not dirt bikes.
The Wee has been super reliable.
The Tiger may be slightly better 2 up.

Anyone have any comments or opinions?

Would I be better off going to a full blown sport tourer (FJR?)

I'm going to try to get a test ride on the Tiger soon.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post

I'm going to try to get a test ride on the Tiger soon.

Ryan
If you do you'll buy it
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
rycomm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Well, I rode it. I liked it. The riding differences are more subtle than I expected. Yes, the engine has more horsepower, and it is smoother through the rpms. The footpegs are higher and more rear set. The overall riding position is very similar, the wind protections may be a bit better on the Tiger. The seat was fine, but not that much different. The right pannier is pretty small with the notch for the pipe. I did notice the tach indicated about 1000 rpm lower at any given speed compared to the DL650. The triple growl can be addicting. Oh, it was an '05 not '06 as I originally stated. I understand that they are identical.

I'm going to ponder this over the weekend.

Opinions still welcome.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Well...not exactly identical, but very close. Triumph ran out of 05's early (only made about 3,000 or so) so switched production to an "early" version 06 model. Apparently they also ran out of 955 heads & cases - so used 1050 model motor parts for that. The last of the 'girlies' also has revised tranny with backlash gear & lighter clutch pull, as compared to 05 models. Not sure about the "problem" tank fuel fittings - I think (but not sure) 05s had metal (like 06) instead of plastic. Of all the changes - the fuel fitting is the only one I'd pay any attention to on 05 vs 06. The plastic ones will leak eventually - most folks change them out to metal. See 'tigertriple.com' for details. Other than that - either years model are very capable machines. I got an 800xc 18 mos ago, with intention of replacing my 06 girlie. However, after careful introspection - cant do it, so still got it. The xc is a better dirt road bike, no question. But (For me at least & with farkles ive added) the girlie is a more comfortable road bike - it just 'fits' me better than any bike Ive ever had - with possible exception of my 08 Uly X. Good luck with the deal. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
PS: I would agree the stock seat & suspension is quite adequate (actually pretty good) If you're under 200#. Bigger folks seem to have some long distance 'comfort' issues. As far as performance: if you make sure the TBs are sync'd right & put a TOR (or equivalent) pipe with a remap & you'll frankly be amazed at what that girlie tiger can do - it hauls!
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote