Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
TopDogDavid OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 4
Backcountry Discovery Route Weapon of Choice

New member first post....

My wife would like to start riding with me. She has taken the MSF basic course but that's about the extent of her experience. We're looking at doing some rides like the WABDR and the like. She's not interested in spending much time on the road, I would guess a two hour road ride to the beach would be about the most she would want to do?? I'm hoping for some constructive ideas here. She's 5'5" with a 30" inseam, though I don't have a problem having a suspension shop add some spacers so height is not a huge concern. I'm thinking a thumper is best so that's why I posted here, however anything goes.

Dave and Tracie
TopDogDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,240
used xt225 or xt250
new crf250L
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
CRF230L - lighter than most of the other small 4-strokes, electric start, stone reliable and cheap'n easy to buy and maintain. Plus when she drops it - and she will - it takes a beating real good.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
The WABDR is pretty straightforward IMO and can be run on a variety of bikes. I did it on my F800GS and while there were a couple times the bike was a bit big, on most of the route it just didn't matter and the size and comfort were a bonus. That said, you should factor in what overall type of riding your wife will actually be doing. I think the xt 225 suggestion is a good one. Relatively low seat, wide stable tires. You need to sort out a bit more fuel range. Rotopax or the like. For the record I just came back from the UTBDR and that is a whole other can of worms. I took my WR250R and on the harder parts like Lockhart, I was really glad I wasn't on a bigger bike like the F800.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
CRF230L - lighter than most of the other small 4-strokes, electric start, stone reliable and cheap'n easy to buy and maintain. Plus when she drops it - and she will - it takes a beating real good.
Honda CRF230L: Curb Weight 267 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride).

My WABDR ride-Honda CRF230L. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824677

Geometry and suspension is more trail or trials style, precise and easy to ride. Not good for wide-open riding or places where high HP is fun. I weigh 230 and have outclimbed on the 230L guys on bikes seen as "better" here and universally because of 230L engine characteristics= low end unstoppable torque, tractable power instead of wheel spin. It helps that the bike is small and light. This is a dual-sport motorcycle at this weight that will pull highway speed, ride tight and gnarly easily, has indestructable frame and motor- load it up and pin it on the pavement for 70 miles, no problem, then head up singletrack trail with the 40lb load and low 1st gear, and RIDE it! Oh, and 73MPG on the WABDR, loaded! I have a 1.5 gal Kolpin that can fit the front rack, plus 2.3 stock tank = good range @73 MPG

As well, I saw two women riding XT225 Yamahas on the WABDR, and really enjoyed touring those motorcycles.

230L is not fast, except on the tight dirt and on gravel/ dirt roads, small but I think comfortable with handlebar risers and Seat Concepts seat, XRsOnly footpegs. A well designed incredibly bulletproof versatile motorcycle that is mostly overlooked. A few of us here speak of it fondly.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 12:23 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
My wife is 5'5'' and about 110 pounds. She is a pretty accomplished street rider, but we're both pretty amateur at difficult off road. In attempt to do a little more dual sporting we picked up some yamaha's - her an xt250 and me a wr250. This summer with only a little real off-pavement experience under our belts we did the CDR with the Rawhyde group (all BMWs except for us) and then turned around and did most of the utahBDR. There were some pretty challenging sections but the bikes did great. My wife handled the XT well - the combination of low seat height, but high ground clearance is pretty helpful. I think she would have really struggled on a bigger bike. That being said, the bike has a carb and we didn't rejet it for the trip (intentionally) and its a bit of a slug at high altitude. I carried extra gas for her and we needed it. The wr is fuel injected and more powerful and an all around better bike, but she was able to do what I did without much problem.

To sum up - xt 250 -- good beginner bike, good casual trail bike for shorter folks, more capable than you would expect
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,396
You might also ask in the Pacific Northwet area of the forum. Lot of people with specific experience doing the WABDR

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
TopDogDavid OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 4
This is awesome! I was hoping for insight from people who have ridden some of these routes and you didn't fail me. My thoughts were leading me to something like the xt250 or the Crf250l and based on what you have written that's the direction we'll go.

Thanks
TopDogDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Get her a CRF250L and lower it for free following the thread here on adv. Throw some bark busters, aluminum bars, throw some Shinko SR241 tires on it, and make a velcro windshield for it from the minimalist touring thread.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote