Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Canon T4i, 60D, or...

7D?

My wife is wanting us to get a new camera, and honestly I would like one as well. My question, and I am sure the same one everyone asks themselves, is what do I really need, and what has those features at a reasonable cost?

I am mainly looking at the Canon cameras because I already have three lenses and a Canon Speedlight. Granted, they are not L lenses, but still, going with Nikon I would have to buy a new camera, and at least one new lens right now to be able to take any pictures.

So, I have finally narrowed the choice mainly between the T4i and 60D. The new Rebel (T4i) has the latest Digic 5 processor. 60D is more sturdily built and has a faster burst rate. It also has the slightly older Digic 4 processor. I really can't find many significant differences between the two, although I know there have to be some. Any thoughts from the collective about these two cameras?

The last thought is that I can get the 7D if it is that much better of a camera. Question is, is it that much better than the 60D? With a price tag that is 500 dollars more than the 60D, is it worth it?

My pictures will be mainly of family, either posed or candid. At family events, day-to-day, sports, etc... Normal family stuff. I would also use it on trips, so mainly landscapes and nature photos then. We are hoping to not have to go to a studio for kid pictures if we can do them ourselves, so that is the impetus for us getting a decent camera, then learning/practicing how to use it to get good to hopefully one day great pictures out of it. Currently I have a 5ish year old Rebel, the 400D.

Any advice would help. RxZwife is getting impatient with all my research. Her comment this morning --> I'd really like to order one today.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
RBR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Have you considered looking for a used 30/40/50D if avaialble? I think most owners of that line of cameras generally take pretty good care of them. Let somone else take the depreciation on a new body. Any of those should be a good step up from the Rebel line.

good site for body/lense reviews
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,374
I just bought my first dslr a couple of months ago. A refurbished T3 from B&H. effectively brand new. Takes great pics.

If I remember right, the main differences between the older T3 and the newer t3i, t4i etc.... are things like higher megapixels, newer processors, 1080p video, and a flip & swivel lcd screens.

I doubt if you can go wrong buying a dslr.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,224
budget?

and

unless you have some nice Canon glass I would check out the other brands as well.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
OK, 60D and 7D are exactly the same save for the titanium body on the 7d which makes it much more expensive both new and used. So look for a clean 60d. It does GREAT video and excellent stills even if you are a pro. I have a 30D and love it but want to get a 60d for the video.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
dr. jones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
i bought a T3i a few months back, great price and everything i need for now. i plan to invest more on the lenses and upgrade the body when/if i ever can justify. i'm a newb so much of the T31 is wasted on me, other than the learning potential. classes and lot of practice are in my future.

not sure if we're in the same camp, but the D cameras were way more that i needed and the money spent on lenses will last well beyond this body. my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
budget?

and

unless you have some nice Canon glass I would check out the other brands as well.
Budget? Well, the T4i and 60D and 8 and 900 dollars. 7D is about 1400$. So in that range is good. As always, lower is better

Nah, none of it is "nice" glass, although nicer than the normal lenses that come with the camera. I know nothing about Nikon, et al however, so I wouldn't know where to start looking at their offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
OK, 60D and 7D are exactly the same save for the titanium body on the 7d which makes it much more expensive both new and used. So look for a clean 60d. It does GREAT video and excellent stills even if you are a pro. I have a 30D and love it but want to get a 60d for the video.
Well, although after a bit of research they are not the exact same, they are very close in most all instances (shutter lag and AF points being the big functional differences I can find). I think close enough in fact that the extra cost would be better spent on the 60D and a new lens, vs just the 7D. I am glad to hear that you love the 30D. A good endorsement for the 60D as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. jones View Post
i bought a T3i a few months back, great price and everything i need for now. i plan to invest more on the lenses and upgrade the body when/if i ever can justify. i'm a newb so much of the T31 is wasted on me, other than the learning potential. classes and lot of practice are in my future.

not sure if we're in the same camp, but the D cameras were way more that i needed and the money spent on lenses will last well beyond this body. my 2 cents.
I was in your camp a few years ago. We have had the 400D (its a DSLR in the Rebel series, older than your T3) for 5-6 years. My in-laws got one of the T3 cameras last year, and the pictures it takes on full auto are for the most part better than what our older Rebel can muster in pretty much any situation. Especially in low light.

I would love to get a full-frame camera for the extra low light abilities, but that is not in the budget.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I have a T3i, my wife has a 60d, and we've got an XSi as a spare. Side by side T3i to t4i, I don't see anything that justifies the cost. Check the canon refurb store; also, you can trade in old canon stuff for discounts on new (refurb) cameras from canon as part of their loyalty program. As far as iQ, my T3i and the 60d are impossible to tell apart (from the photos)

check here http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_29252

The T4i has a touch screen for lazy focusing (which is not a big deal) and has support for STM lenses (really slow but silent autofocus for using during video) - if you arent going to use STM and you're capable of pushing a shutter button for focusing the T4i isn't any better than the t3i. Same can be said t3i vs t2i, the t3i is just a t2i with a flipout screen. I love my t3i, with a battery grip and some nice lenses it takes fantastic shots.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

OK, after some research, I am not opposed to getting a Nikon D7000 and a lens (for now) if it will trounce the Canons I am looking at. It is in the same price range, and seems to be a good camera, especially in low light. Anyway, I know there are a lot of Nikon guys on the forum, what say you? Anyone with experience with these cameras to point me the right way?

(And I just discovered the Canon 6D. I think I may be salivating a little at that one, but it is out of my price range. Too bad, it seems affordable for a full-frame, but it doesn't take the EF-S lenses I already have.)

Remember what I am coming from also. A 6 year old Rebel. All of these cameras are a huge upgrade from what I currentlyhave, but what is going to last me and my family another 6 years and give us great pictures during that time? At around 1k dollars, it is not a trivial question.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,416
It would be helpful to know what lenses you currently have.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,286
Go Nikon, they focus better and the lens choices are better especially in the consumer models...

D5100 here...

A sample that I shot, very far away from this turn 4 action:

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Budget? Well, the T4i and 60D and 8 and 900 dollars. 7D is about 1400$. So in that range is good. As always, lower is better .
Unless you're talking body + glass, you're really not talking budget. Hell, it's really body + glass + flash + etc. It's a system.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
i have a 30 and 50d..there is a reason you see all the big white lens at the track and stadium..fast focus
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by local1 View Post
i have a 30 and 50d..there is a reason you see all the big white lens at the track and stadium..fast focus
Not to mention sharper and faster aperture.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: