User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Bluethumb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Need advice, electric vest/jacket

I have an electric vest that's long in the tooth and needs replacing. I'm going to replace it with a new electric vest or jacket. Gerbing seems to be the current gold standard. But before I put down the bucks, I'd like some advice. Seems like with all technical clothing, big strides have been made with heated motorcycle clothing in the last few years. And I'm totally ignorant of the newest advances.

I've always used an electric vest but thinking of going for a jacket. Is a jacket worth the extra cost?

What I am dreaming of is a jacket that actually gets so warm that I have to turn the setting down! That would be pure riding heaven. As it is now, there are times when I cant even tell if my electric vest is on!

So what's the latest technology? And are temperature controls worth the extra cost?
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
smoky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Well, I wore out three vests in about 35 years of riding.

last year I moved up to a Warm n Safe jacket, and controller. It's a big improvement.

However, my wife got a Gerbings jacket, and it looks like a better jacket. The sleeves have cuffs, and its better looking. The thin wires are an improvement also.

get a Gerbins.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
KZDon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a Tourmaster Synergy jacket. My riding friend has a Gerbings. Both do the job well. The high setting on the Tourmaster equates to we'll-done. Medium is medium-well. Low is toasty. I appreciate that the Tourmaster comes with a temperature controller, whereas for many othe jackets the spendy controllers must be bought separately.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them.
KZDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb View Post
I've always used an electric vest but thinking of going for a jacket. Is a jacket worth the extra cost?
Only if you would like your arms to stay warm also.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the vest.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Powerlet makes the most technically advanced heated clothing. But new tech is sometimes full of new issues. Gerbing has the best warranty. All are about the same price.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb View Post

What I am dreaming of is a jacket that actually gets so warm that I have to turn the setting down! That would be pure riding heaven. As it is now, there are times when I cant even tell if my electric vest is on!

So what's the latest technology? And are temperature controls worth the extra cost?

Check into the Gerbing jacket liners with the controller. I bought one 3 years ago and it is better than sliced bread. The jacket gets too hot for me and with the controller you just dial it down to a more managable temperature. What ever you buy make sure you can contol the heat setting with a rheostat control just like the Gerbing.

As for the cpntroller you only have to decide if you want the single or double controller. I have the single since I only need the jacket and there is no need for pant liners for me. That is your call..........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'

stickman1432 screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 09:58 PM
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Agcountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Only if you would like your arms to stay warm also.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the vest.

Walter
I have the Tourmaster Synergy vest. Works great, always on the low setting. Next time would definately get the jacket. Why be nice and warm around the middle and then let your arms freeze.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
A quick question on heated gear concerning power draw. Does the power draw decrease when a lower heat setting is selected?

Or is the difference in wattage shunted off to ground when a lower heat selection is made?

Thanks

Ron W.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
A quick question on heated gear concerning power draw. Does the power draw decrease when a lower heat setting is selected?

Or is the difference in wattage shunted off to ground when a lower heat selection is made?

Thanks

Ron W.
My Warm-n-Safe is on/off control with full wattage anytime it's on. A linear control would be nice but I haven't seen one.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
I like full sleeves -- i.e. a jacket. I put the gauntlets over the heated jacket sleeves but inside the shell sleeves and end up with a good seal against drafts.

Aerostich makes a PWM* controller -- i.e. a continuously-variable controller that doesn't waste energy. Other controllers are probably PWM also but I know that some have 3 or so settings to choose from where 'Stich is stepless. I DO have a 'Stich jacket but would prefer to have one with more insulation instead.

*PWM, or Pulse Width Modulation, provides full voltage for short bursts. To a resistance device like a heating element (or to a battery), it looks like partial voltage. When you increase how long the PWM is ON and decrease how long it is OFF you increase the apparent voltage. THere are ways to use resistors to control the heat of a jacket/vest, but they waste energy as heat in the controller and are not likely to appear in modern garments. FOr a graphic demonstration of PWM, see THIS site then, from the options across the top, select "circuits", then "555 timer" then "Pulse Width Modulation". The traces at the bottom of the window show the "target" voltage and, below that, the full-voltages pulses that approximate the "target" voltage. EDIT: In the simulation, the "target"voltage goes up and down regularly to follow the voltage input at the bottom of the schematic. In a controller, the target voltage would stay constant until changed by a variable resistor.

Grinnin screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 01:04 PM Reason: added to PWM explanation
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote