Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #76
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
You guys are my heros!

I wanted a 2 stroke commuter supermoto like nothing else, but ended having an XR650L cross my path at an insane deal and couldn't pass it up.

For you guys putting serious miles on your 2 strokes, how is it for riding long distances or commuter miles? Replacing the piddly amount of transmission oil every weekend, or halfway to your destination? Find getting gas at a gas station a pain since you need to add oil? How does the motor handle slab riding, any burnt pistons from an hour of highway riding? If its not to bad I might just look at trading my XRL for a big bore KTM or similar.

There is something super appealing about walking out of work and kicking over my 2 stroke in the string of Harleys while wearing a suit and tie.
Thanks!!

For long distance, this thing has WAY less buffetting then my DR 650 or GS 1150 had. At the end of an hr on the GS I wanted to tear off my helmet. It felt like I was being slapped on each side of my head. I really did not like that bike.

For tanny oil, I do not know what you are talking about. Mine has a small leak on the countershaft seal and I just keep putting in a ml here and there. No issues at all with swaping out the oil. If I want to do it, it is all of 3 minutes. No oil filters and screens to deal with.

Commuter miles - I commute on mine daily. No issues at all, if you don't mind your backpack smelling like H1R

Gas at the gas station, I use a clear shampoo bottle that I got off a friend who has a shampoo company, marked in 20 ml intervals. 20 ml per litre, pretty simple math at the pump. Turn off the petcock, fill up with gas, pour in the oil, shaky shaky with the bike. Fire up and rip away. Don't forget to turn on the fuel though. Hard to look cool when you run out of gas......

Burnt pistions from an hr of riding?????? Internet lore. Vary your throttle, don't sit right high on the pipe, and you will be fine. The only thing that I ever heard that made any sense was that if you kept it at the same RPM for the whole hr, that the rings on the exhaust side tend to stick. That makes sense to me, but the riding around here is never a slab drone like that. Plus it gives you a reason to pass.

Yes, you have to pay more attention to it then a DR, but like you said, when I wheel in to grab a coffee, I always go to the local hippy hangout. Kill the bike, have my java, get on my bike, stand on the pegs, roll out the kickstarter, crank it over as she fires on the first kick (always), rev it a bit just because I can, smell the smell, look at the faces, then hammer away on the gears as I fly down the road. I love the look on peoples faces when I fire it up in public places.

And on a side note, I tried to blow this bike up this year. I could not. It is very strong.

BRRRAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Here is video proof :)

http://youtu.be/aWjG0XFuWQc
bchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #77
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
....it's jetted just a touch rich... keeps it safe. jetting & gearing make or break a 2 stroke when it comes to distance and/or steady speeds....
Bang On!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #78
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,338
Took my EXC out for a bit today, about 30-35 miles.
Ended up doing some pavement as I ran by a friend's house for a while.

About 50 mph on the 2 lane, no problem.
I mix my gas just a little rich, as I think a little more oil is much better than not enough .
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #79
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
^^^
not to hijack ... but as a long time 2 smoker and long distance $ even across australia on a DT400 & raced rds/ TZ . had a plated NSR 400 ...
Be careful about the "extra oil being good" thing.
Oils burn hotter than gas. ... good 2/ oil at the correct ratio and good carb set up is better than more oil ever was.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #80
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
More oil will lean out the air/fuel ratio without a rejet.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #81
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,338
Mine is jetted for it.
Never had an issue.

The newer 2 strokes are more durable than the old ones.
I think doing top ends every 40 hours (or less) is a thing of the past unless you are racing.

People ask me all the time if I get tired of doing the top end every 10-12 hours

I tell them I'll let them know when I have to do one, as I haven't yet.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #82
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchunter View Post
Thanks!!

For long distance, this thing has WAY less buffetting then my DR 650 or GS 1150 had. At the end of an hr on the GS I wanted to tear off my helmet. It felt like I was being slapped on each side of my head. I really did not like that bike.

For tanny oil, I do not know what you are talking about. Mine has a small leak on the countershaft seal and I just keep putting in a ml here and there. No issues at all with swaping out the oil. If I want to do it, it is all of 3 minutes. No oil filters and screens to deal with.

Commuter miles - I commute on mine daily. No issues at all, if you don't mind your backpack smelling like H1R

Gas at the gas station, I use a clear shampoo bottle that I got off a friend who has a shampoo company, marked in 20 ml intervals. 20 ml per litre, pretty simple math at the pump. Turn off the petcock, fill up with gas, pour in the oil, shaky shaky with the bike. Fire up and rip away. Don't forget to turn on the fuel though. Hard to look cool when you run out of gas......

Burnt pistions from an hr of riding?????? Internet lore. Vary your throttle, don't sit right high on the pipe, and you will be fine. The only thing that I ever heard that made any sense was that if you kept it at the same RPM for the whole hr, that the rings on the exhaust side tend to stick. That makes sense to me, but the riding around here is never a slab drone like that. Plus it gives you a reason to pass.

Yes, you have to pay more attention to it then a DR, but like you said, when I wheel in to grab a coffee, I always go to the local hippy hangout. Kill the bike, have my java, get on my bike, stand on the pegs, roll out the kickstarter, crank it over as she fires on the first kick (always), rev it a bit just because I can, smell the smell, look at the faces, then hammer away on the gears as I fly down the road. I love the look on peoples faces when I fire it up in public places.

And on a side note, I tried to blow this bike up this year. I could not. It is very strong.

BRRRAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Here is video proof :)

http://youtu.be/aWjG0XFuWQc
Buffeting? Yeah, I don't have much (read any) wind protection on my XR. Its all good until about 70 when the visor starts to pull my head back.

The transmission oil was in reference to the very small amount most bikes have, something like 750ml or so since they are not lubrication the engine. Quite a few bikes I looked at said anywhere between 4-10 hours for a change, that's not much if you take the bike for a weekend trip. Others were sawing 100 miles or so for road use, better, but still not a long time on a commuter. I just wouldn't want to do an oil change a weekend that's all.

Good to know on the oil, I wasn't sure how much of a pain it is. Having to carry a spare can just to mix proper would be a serious pain, but a shampoo bottle (great idea) and sloshong the bike back and forth is easy enough, and adds to the charisma.

As for burn pistons it was in reference to 2 strokes leaning out at steady throttle. Not too hard to deal with, but droning on the interstate is preferable if your just burning miles. I would hate to be 'that guy' on road trips, not that I do many. I am the guy in the cage who sets the cruise and then spends the next 3 hours watching traffic to see how spaces will play out and when I need to change lanes, etc, to keep the cruise set for a long as possible. Basically my game to keep my head in driving, but as such I prefer a steady speed (and for traffic flow, one guy who is always doing a different speed really messes with traffic).

But good news to hear guys are doing it and like it, maybe a converted 2 stroke IS in my future. I grew up on snowmobiles, and the sound of an idling 2 stroke, and the feel of one getting on the pipe, is pure heaven in my book.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #83
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
steady, droning speed on the flat isn't an issue if it's geared for the speed. i had a plated KX500 that i rode from los angeles to san diego and back a number of times. it was geared a bit high, but it'd cruise at 70mph off the pipe. i'd spend 90 minutes without changing speed. never had an issue. didn't even get horrible mileage.
i did have one soft seize, but it was in cold weather (wasn't jetted for it), long time on the pipe up a grade. had the jetting been appropriate for the weather, it'd likely have been fine.

now, what steady, droning speed is an issue for is me losing my mind with it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #84
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
A baby bottle is another cheap thing to transport 2stroke oil in. Most of them have measured 9oz with a good seal on the top.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #85
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 518
This is the best container I've found to carry smoke oil!

It holds enough for a little more than 2 gallons of fuel - enough for me..

I have it marked off on the bottle so I know where 1gl and 2gl are. I pour it in as the gas is spraying in go.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #86
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is my "on the road oil container"

Back when I had the original TS engine in my bike, I did squeek a piston while riding to work (80 kilometers away) in -5 weather. It squeeked because my jetting was off....... Now with this KTM engine in the bike, I took my time on the jetting and so far so good. Lesson learned
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #87
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,072
Here is my 250 XC..built to take back to Colorado and do Brek Trek with..280 miles that day..some of it 70 mph hard top...but mostly forest road and two track..have had it in Moab...bike is just brilliant..

_IGP0389

The only improvement would be the six speed from the following year..this one is an '07..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #88
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

dunno what the bottle is for... but it holds enough premix for 2 gallons of gas. i carry 2 of these bottles on the bike in the tool bag, another one or two in my backpack if i'm going far. don't need anything fancy.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #89
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Just a question on jetting:

"i did have one soft seize, but it was in cold weather (wasn't jetted for it), long time on the pipe up a grade. had the jetting been appropriate for the weather, it'd likely have been fine."

How would you jet it for colder weather?
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #90
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
Just a question on jetting:

"i did have one soft seize, but it was in cold weather (wasn't jetted for it), long time on the pipe up a grade. had the jetting been appropriate for the weather, it'd likely have been fine."

How would you jet it for colder weather?

cool air is more dense than warm air... therefore the air/fuel mixure that was spot on in the gloriously warm days of summer will be lean in the frigid, wretched cold days of winter.

on my IT250, i go up 1 main jet & richen the needle by 2 clips between summer (80s - 90s f) and winter (30s - 40s f)... and it's not a very temperamental bike. my old YZ490 i'd go up as much as 5 main jet sizes for winter. don't remember what i did with the needle.