ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should I stay or should I go?
Wildman, I'm never riding with you, you selfish SOB! 3 4.05%
Feh; it's a man's world and we're all free agents 65 87.84%
Fuck loaded 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,682
Would you leave a riding buddy?

Got a situation. I put up a thread in the "Travellers Seeking Travellers" forum of the HUBB asking if anyone wanted to join me on a trip to Morocco. Clearly stated that my dates were set but route in fact, everything else, was wide open. Got a guy take me up. He suggested the route and I agreed.

Met up in Southern Spain; me on a four and a half year old 800GS, him on a twenty four year old Moto Morini 350. First days pootle into Morocco went fine. Second afternoon, he broke down. We waited an afternoon for it to be fixed. Spent the next day in the nearest city trying to source parts. Next afternoon he broke down again. I took a day trip to see if his bike could get fixed. It couldn't so I rode on two days ahead to meet my wife who was flying in for a short break. I left him with some decent local people.

This gave him five days to catch up. The bike was fixed on Saturday although he didn't ride to catch me up, suggesting we rendezvous on Wednesday on the way back, arriving by different routes. He never made it; broke down again. I'm now back in Spain and he's not responding to my texts.

I'm kind of feeling bad that I didn't go back for him and if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't right. Then again, there's nothing I could do but stand and look at his broken bike, I'm no wrencher.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,012
Man got to ride his own ride.

I will help if I can, but there is a limit on what you can do to help.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I see nothing wrong.

If he understood your timeline was set and he couldn't keep up, oh well.

If he had crashed and was laying in a hospital or unable to ride I would stay, but mechanical failure due to lack of prep or poor maintenance would not become my problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,434
Your title said "riding buddy". If it was my riding buddy I'd know if he was like A) the fellow to the north of me who can and does ride 24 and 34 year old bikes wherever he wants and gets there and back, or B) the fellow to the west who has a malfunction (if not an actual breakdown) going around the block then fixes it with Gorilla tape because it's better than duct tape.

Even if I went on a trip with B, I'd have to stick with him to the best of my ability, but that doesn't mean I'd babysit while waiting for parts.

You seem to have been not with a buddy, but a new acquaintance. You didn't leave him in particular danger.

If anyone should feel awkward about the situation (as you've presented it) it's not you.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Wildman OP
In my castle

Thanks guys. We've just made contact again. He's now home but had to leave his bike behind in Morocco.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,126
Probably just as well.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
D R
----

Oddometer: 466
Perhaps I don't understand your tag line....

...aren't there just seven continents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

"Every county of England, every country of Europe and every (part of every other) continent of the Earth" ... 78% complete!
Counties: 39 of 39 - done!
Countries: 36 of 42; last up, Portugal, next up, Ukraine
Continents: 3 of 19; last up, North Africa (Morocco), next up, Middle East (UAE)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

You earthlings think soooo 3-dimensional...
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
I think you did ok, what else could you have done? One should ride a dependable bike on a trip, any trip.

Had he told you ahead of time that he would be riding a 24 year old Moto Morini 350 you would have asked "Hu?"

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

Yes, but the way I'm looking at it, there are 19 "parts". According to the UN, there are 20 "peoples" of the world, one of which is European, leaving nineteen outside of Europe:

Americas: North, Central and South
Africa: North, South, East, West and Central
Asia; North, South, South East and Central, Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian and Middle Eastern
Eurasian
Australian and Polynesian

That gives me my target. 39 counties of England, 42 countries of Europe and 19 (parts of) continents of the Earth.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
It's fair enough. Unless he was put in physical danger by you abandoning him (injury, hostile environment) or you left without telling him (so he might have spent ages looking for you thinking something had happened to you), it's fair game in my book.

As you say, your hanging around would have achieved nothing apart from delaying your own trip. Don't feel bad.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,697
He should have told you he was riding an old Italian m/c first of all.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
I go off roading in jeeps a lot, and our group is all guys with fairly well set-up vehicles, all of them reliable. When a new guy comes out that's fine, but their junk better hold together. If they break we'll get you out, but that's it. Next time that person is not invited unless they have made noticeable changes to their rig, and seem ready to go.

I've personally told friends they can't come, and feel like an ass doing it. But, when you spend your whole weekend fixing someone else's junk you end up ruining yours. We went out once last spring, and I went with a few friends friday and saturday, then met up with the actual guys I ride with on sunday. I spent all of friday and saturday running parts back and forth, because my truck is the only one that was holding together. Sunday I told those guys not to come out, and I went off with the group I normally ride with. Felt bad, but that's how it is sometimes.

When I first started riding with those guys my CJ was a 'chronic breaker' with dumb stuff always going wrong. It didn't take long before I quit going out, built a Ford Ranger right, and went back to riding with them.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
You've heard the opinions, I'll add mine. I was the guy that was slowing the rest of the group down. Never ridden with them before, only knew a couple of guys. They rode WAY over my head. FAST. Faster than I felt good about. They did keep waiting for me at corners, but I eventually bailed to let them ride their ride. I rode mine back home.

You did the right thing.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Your thread title is misleading. You did not leave him, it sounds like you both made the decision to split up. It sounds like he could then not keep his committment to rejoin you.

I would not leave someone broken down on the side of the road or out in the wilderness, especially in a foreign land. OTH, If I was clearly screwing up the ride itinerary, as soon as I got to a safe harbor were I could handle things myself, I would send the others ahead.

Was he expecting you to wait when he broke down the for the 3rd time? Did you offer what assistance you could?
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 01:35 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote