ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should I stay or should I go?
Wildman, I'm never riding with you, you selfish SOB! 3 4.05%
Feh; it's a man's world and we're all free agents 65 87.84%
Fuck loaded 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Your thread title is misleading. You did leave him, it sounds like you both made the decision to split up. It sounds like he could then not keep his committment to rejoin you.

I would not leave someone broken down on the side of the road or out in the wilderness, especially in a foreign land. OTH, If I was clearly screwing up the ride itinerary, as soon as I got to a safe harbor were I could handle things myself, I would send the others ahead.

Was he expecting you to wait when he broke down the for the 3rd time? Did you offer what assistance you could?
I'm not sure what he was expecting. It seems cool now as he's back home although his bike is still there; nothing I could have done about that. I asked (by text) if he needed help and got no reply. What started me being concerned.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Well, my riding buddy had a problem on our big trip last year. He suggested I go ahead. No way! It was a modest problem and even if it turned out terminal, I was going to try and help. That is why we ride together through remote places. This year, our big trip was shorted because I had a problem. Oh well...we had great fun, though, and can look forward to completing that trip next year. My buddy stuck with me and it worked out.

I ride solo a lot. It's a different mindset. You'll accept any kind of help you can drum up...

Pantah screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 12:53 PM
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
I go along with most of the crowd. If there was a real danger to him, then you stay until that's sorted. Otherwise, he sorts himself out.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
I go along with most of the crowd. If there was a real danger to him, then you stay until that's sorted. Otherwise, he sorts himself out.
+1

I don't think you did anything wrong. It's not like you left the guy with a broken leg in the Alaskan wilderness, surrounded by bears, with a blizzard coming in, and no radio.

And when they stop responding to phone calls/texts, it's time to ride on.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,178
I would have ditched after the first BD
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Well, my riding buddy had a problem on our big trip last year. He suggested I go ahead. No way! It was a modest problem and even if it turned out terminal, I was going to try and help. That is why we ride together through remote places. This year, our big trip was shorted because I had a problem. Oh well...we had great fun, though, and can look forward to completing that trip next year. My buddy stuck with me and it worked out.
I agree with that. Never leave your dive buddy, but if it was just some random person I met on the net and he came on some POS bike he couldn't keep running. I'd talk to him about it then roll out.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Dont be a Nater..... Deja vu, this thread is.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I go off roading in jeeps a lot, and our group is all guys with fairly well set-up vehicles, all of them reliable. When a new guy comes out that's fine, but their junk better hold together. If they break we'll get you out, but that's it. Next time that person is not invited unless they have made noticeable changes to their rig, and seem ready to go.

I've personally told friends they can't come, and feel like an ass doing it. But, when you spend your whole weekend fixing someone else's junk you end up ruining yours. We went out once last spring, and I went with a few friends friday and saturday, then met up with the actual guys I ride with on sunday. I spent all of friday and saturday running parts back and forth, because my truck is the only one that was holding together. Sunday I told those guys not to come out, and I went off with the group I normally ride with. Felt bad, but that's how it is sometimes.

When I first started riding with those guys my CJ was a 'chronic breaker' with dumb stuff always going wrong. It didn't take long before I quit going out, built a Ford Ranger right, and went back to riding with them.
Ford Ranger............................................ ......... for reliability?????????????????????
I must missed a memo. Jeep no good off road,Ranger better. Who woulda thought?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
I wouldn't feel bad about being on either side of that equation at all.

If a guy wants to ride that old of a bike on such an adventure, then that's the adventure he decided he was up for. There is no doubt some old or less-proven vehicles add to many an adventure, but that kind of unplanned stoppages and re-configuring of routes and times surely isn't required or desired by all travelers.

If he expected someone to stick with him, he would have taken a good friend of his who understood and accepted the probability of break-downs.

If it at all fit my route I'd hook back up on the return-route, but I wouldn't divert or push to meet up. And even at that... one of you may not make it back with the other.

Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance sort of hit on this, or even dwelled on it, but neither bike broke down because of the care taken for the bike that was older.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,093
The poll needs another button. The "I am not taking a trip with someone I don't know" button.

That shit is asking for trouble. You got some.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
The poll needs another button. The "I am not taking a trip with someone I don't know" button.

That shit is asking for trouble. You got some.

Barry
How about "I am not taking a trip with a bike I don't know " ?
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I'm not sure what he was expecting. It seems cool now as he's back home although his bike is still there; nothing I could have done about that. I asked (by text) if he needed help and got no reply. What started me being concerned.
He's probably a little embarrassed and overwhelmed w/work, making arrangements for the bike etc....

I'd give him some time to get sorted and then check in with him.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I'm not leaving anybody in the middle of nowhere to fend for himself. I'll at least get the person to civilization somehow where he can deal with the problem, and/or make a parts run. At that point if it isn't a reasonably quick fix, I'll likely be on my way. That assumes someone I don't know terribly well and a schedule I must keep to. If it is a close friend, I'll probably stick around til they get the issue sorted and deal with the schedule issues later.

Sounds like you did right by them, not leaving them stranded in the middle of nowhere, etc. That's all a reasonable person can ask.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
I'm not leaving anybody in the middle of nowhere to fend for himself. I'll at least get the person to civilization somehow where he can deal with the problem, and/or make a parts run. At that point if it isn't a reasonably quick fix, I'll likely be on my way. That assumes someone I don't know terribly well and a schedule I must keep to. If it is a close friend, I'll probably stick around til they get the issue sorted and deal with the schedule issues later.

Sounds like you did right by them, not leaving them stranded in the middle of nowhere, etc. That's all a reasonable person can ask.
This is what I was going to say. You just said it with a lot fewer words than I was going to.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #30
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote