Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 964
What do you pack in your OGIO Flight Vest??

I bought an OGIO Flight Vest and now I'm thinking, "What the hell am I going to pack in this thing?!"

Besides some granola bars, a tire repair kit, water, two-way radio and my friends suggestion of a Glock & some clips.....to keep the bears at bay ......what else do you pack away?? What do you guys pack in it??

Please list;
What you pack.
Where you pack it.
What's your best use of it?......Day dual sport ride, overnight camping, all the time, etc....
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
alpo996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Let's see.
Right front bottom pocket: XD-40 subcompact in a nylon holster that I sewed to the inside of the vest, bottle of Jungle Juice 100 DEET, ziplock with TP in it (gotta be able to get to that fast).
Right front top pocket: compact survival/first aid booklet, room for cell phone.
Left front top pocket: Motrin, Immodium, and AA and AAA batteries for GPS/SPOT/flashlight.
Left front middle pocket: power bars/trail mix.
Left front lower pockets: spare mag for the .40 in one, big Leatherman in middle, and tire pressure guage in 3rd.
Left front lower large pocket: floppy hat for when you're stopped or walking out of a trail in the sun, room for a sandwich.
Left rear pocket: room for two barley sandwiches (for trail rides, not street) or regular sandwiches.
Right rear pocket: extra tools that don't fit on the bike such as tire irons, pump, patch kit, extra bolts/nuts, space blanket, flashlight, SPOT, and other stuff I can't remember.
Middle pockets: 3L water bladder on inside, spare food at the bottom of the outside one such as sardines and more power bars. Water filter on top of this.

This was set up mainly for off-roading and I've used just about everything at one time or another.
alpo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
dheimer
Burnin' fossil fuels

Oddometer: 196
Ogio vest

I break down a coupld of MREs for extra chow, and place those in the rear side pockets. I carry a good set of small binos in one of the pockets. I attach a retractable fish net holder on a small caribiner to the shoulder strap. On the other end of the retractable part I attached a camera and place it in the upper pocket. I can pull the camera snap a pic and let the camera drop. It will retract without worry of dropping it on the ground.

Glacier ride report-http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812193
dheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,206
Spare tube left rear. Wind shirt or rain jacket right rear. Sometimes sandals.

TP center rear. Water bladder.

Goggle spray, tools, misc front pockets.

Wallet top right.

Keys etc top left.

Camera on retractable lanyard in partially open mid left pocket. Allows for on the fly use.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 09:47 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo996 View Post
Let's see.
Right front bottom pocket: XD-40 subcompact in a nylon holster that I sewed to the inside of the vest, bottle of Jungle Juice 100 DEET, ziplock with TP in it (gotta be able to get to that fast).
Right front top pocket: compact survival/first aid booklet, room for cell phone.
Left front top pocket: Motrin, Immodium, and AA and AAA batteries for GPS/SPOT/flashlight.
Left front middle pocket: power bars/trail mix.
Left front lower pockets: spare mag for the .40 in one, big Leatherman in middle, and tire pressure guage in 3rd.
Left front lower large pocket: floppy hat for when you're stopped or walking out of a trail in the sun, room for a sandwich.
Left rear pocket: room for two barley sandwiches (for trail rides, not street) or regular sandwiches.
Right rear pocket: extra tools that don't fit on the bike such as tire irons, pump, patch kit, extra bolts/nuts, space blanket, flashlight, SPOT, and other stuff I can't remember.
Middle pockets: 3L water bladder on inside, spare food at the bottom of the outside one such as sardines and more power bars. Water filter on top of this.

This was set up mainly for off-roading and I've used just about everything at one time or another.
I knew someone would put a piece in those lower pockets Everytime I wear this thing and can't help but think I'm supposed to show up to a SWAT team meeting or hostage situation!

keep the ideas coming, it's good stuff.........
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 490

Just kidding! And just because I know there's always the one cool guy out there that will miss the obvious joke.

IT'S A JOKE!

Here's a more accurate representation...

OK. Fine. I don't really bring the condoms either.

In all seriousness, I am loving this vest. So much more comfy than the Hydrastorm I used to wear. And it's nice to have everything I want right up front instead of fumbling around trying to swing my Hydrastorm to the front to get stuff out. I've only had mine for a week so I'm still trying to figure out what to pack.

Only thing I'm not liking so far is that hydration pouch is set too low. It's touching my lower back where I prefer to have it up high almost to the nape. There are also no elastic bands to hold the hydration tube in place on the left side, where I prefer to have it. Who uses their throttle hand to reach for the mouthpiece anyway? Oh and the hydration bladder that came with the vest is crap with that retarded closure system, I replaced it with my 100 oz Camelbak bladder.
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,413
I really load up the vest. I would rather have the extra weight in the vest that in the DirtBagz. And I also have quick access to the items this way.

Upper left- cell phone
Middle left- camera on lanyard
Main lower pocket- knit cap and balaclava
3 clip pockets-small two way, cigar tube, pocket knife
Upper right-lighters
lower right-misc
Back Center
100oz baldder
Tire patch kit and second wind pump
Left back-tire irons cigar tube with cigar, riding gloves(cold pro or warm depending on what I am wearing)
Right back-tire lube, front tube.

I don't mind the weight back there since the vest sits on the seat when seated takes the weight off my shoulders. When standing I like the weight on me. I have more control over the bike than the weight hanging on the sides in the bag. The vest is very heavy when the bladder is full. I don't notice it when riding though.

Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 02:31 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,413
I was thinking about getting a new backpack recently and in the course of searching around I stumbled on the Ogio Flight Vest. A little more research into it, and I was sold.

I'm going to bump this from 2011 because the Ogio Flight Vest is such a cool piece of kit, and it doesn't get the appropriate respect that it deserves. Hell, even in Ogio's dealer description for the product, they undersell it. They don't even enumerate the number of pockets it has! (12)

I discovered that it should be aggressively marketed as a bad ass replacement for a backpack, hydration pack, and 'on bike' bags; because it pretty much swallows up everything I used to carry in those bags, with room to spare, added comfort, less weight on the bike, and style in fucking spades. I have now dumped my enduro tank bag, spare tube fender bag, and hydration backpack in favor of this one piece of gear.

Looking at the front, top to bottom, you've got the following features:

Right side (as worn):

-H20 tube keeper R shoulder
-Clip type open bottom sleeve pocket R chest (empty, but would hold a knife or similar item with a clip on it)
-Hidden vertical pocket R chest (wallet, phone)
-Elastic loops (empty)
-Large pocket R abdomen (first aid kit)
-Vertical webbing
-D ring

Left side:

-D ring (camera strap clipped to it w/ carabiner)
-Small upper pocket L chest (chapstick, lighter, 2 spare AA batteries)
-Medium middle pocket L chest (camera)
-Large pocket L abdomen (bunch of paper napkins for pooping, Wet Ones, kickstand side plate, small towel and goggle wash)
-3 vertical pouch pockets on top of the L abdomen pocket (Leatherman, spare plastic baggies, trail mix in the tube they sell it in at gas stations)

Rear:

-L large / deep pocket w/ 3 tool sleeves sewn in (tire irons, patch kit, zip ties)
-Middle dedicated hydration pocket and bladder
-Middle medium pocket with velcro and fastex closure (empty)
-R large / deep pocket (spare 21" tube)

General: Front fastens with 3 adjustable fastex buckles. Sides adjust with 2 fastex sliders per side. Shoulders and sides are mesh for cooling. Areas on chest and back that are behind the pockets are lightly padded. Larger pockets have drain holes in the bottom. Hydration bladder is 'Hydrapack' and is of good quality, tube bite valve has an on/off switch. All zippers are built to open out and zip shut in towards the body, which is handy. All pockets have a built in zipper stop to keep the front part of the pocket from being unzipped too far and letting the contents spill out.

Some guys are stowing their tools in the vest; I personally don't want to do that because of the weight, potential wear to the vest, and the risk of crash damage to myself. I'll continue to run the tool kit and the 12V pump in a small rear fender bag on the bike.

The vest pictured is the 2014 model and is $139 at most online vendors (Revzilla is where I got mine).

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Not worried about all that stuff puncturing a lung or breaking a rib? Just thinking aloud.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
continentaldrifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
AS i am new to adventure riding, i am not new to riding.....QUESTION: Are you wearing this vest in addition to your packed saddlebags or do you wear them for single day rides? I am a total gear whore, but having additional weight on my body seems a little"claustrophobic" after the chest protector......
continentaldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
For an 8 day trip in Baja........

It is the best piece of bike kit that I own

Yea, I know it's a tire plugging kit...I run Nuetech Tubliss (never had to use it)

Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Not worried about all that stuff puncturing a lung or breaking a rib? Just thinking aloud.
I suppose that is a consideration, however, I think it is unlikely. Most items are soft (first aid kit, spare tube, goggle cloth) or would break before causing major injury (camera). Tools could be a different story but even they would be carried in a vertical orientation and as long as the mass was kept reasonably flat I don't think it would be a big issue. The vest is also designed to be worn OVER armor, so you'd have an additional layer of hard plastic between soft body parts and the vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by continentaldrifter View Post
AS i am new to adventure riding, i am not new to riding.....QUESTION: Are you wearing this vest in addition to your packed saddlebags or do you wear them for single day rides? I am a total gear whore, but having additional weight on my body seems a little"claustrophobic" after the chest protector......
I think the vest is designed to replace a backpack and maybe a small bike mounted bag for more dirt oriented dual sport riding. You couldn't really carry any clothing, camp gear, etc., in the vest. The weight is a non issue because it is so well distributed, and being worn over the chest protector helps distribute it even more.

I do not wear it on street rides, I prefer to have a tank bag and /or saddlebags in that scenario.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,735
camera's etc have broken ribs before, just read about that happening to a guy on Face Plant.

Me I carry nothing hard on my person.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
camera's etc have broken ribs before, just read about that happening to a guy on Face Plant.

Me I carry nothing hard on my person.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRat View Post
For an 8 day trip in Baja........

It is the best piece of bike kit that I own

All of this fits in that vest?