Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #31
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
You could and that would provide you more amps. The reason for the setup I'm trying to put together is to protect the battery responsible for starting the bike, so I won't get stranded by running it down which can happen if you just connect them in parallel.
Rescue Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #32
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thanks for the response. I was thinking it would be easy and quick to rig up and I would take it off the bike if I were running anything off it at night. That way I get what's in the battery and that's it.

I was thinking of 2 x Lion batteries due to the weight savings. Is this technology a good reliable replacement to use. I will be adv touring and am currently in Colombia.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #33
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Lithium Ion batts ?

Am quite interested in the theme of this thread and would like a lighter, more powerful, efficient, and dual set of batteries...these similar style batteries are causing Boeing's 787 Dreamliner issues are they not? You're riding somewhere perhaps a very remote area and you catch on fire....freaky sh*tters...seems like we're looking for our own electrical Holy Grail

whatdoyouallthinkaboutthat?
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you referring to Lithium Ion Batteries?

The technology has been around a long time. The military uses them for portable radios and chemical warfare agent detectors. The main issue is they don't like water.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #35
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Are Lithium Ion and Lion batteries different?

...am I missing something here...DaveBurton is asking of something different with Lion batteries than my query?
and if these batteries do not like water (moisture) is a dual sport bike not going to splash some water or ride in rain..?....I'm in the Pacific North Wet....getting (myself) more questions than answers....
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Lith Ion = lion

I think Lion is the same but as I said I don't know much about this stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They are sealed, so the water only becomes an issue if the battery is damaged and water can get in.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #38
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Rescue Wagon, you seem to be technically competent in the field, do you believe that using Lithium Ion batteries is a logical and reliable improvement.

Based on what I have read it looks great on paper, light and holds charge for long periods which helps for long trips when the bike gets stored for months.

Are the batteries called Lithium Ion, LION or what. Is there an official acronym.

Just want to make sure there are not 2 separate technologies that are getting confused.

thanks dave
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Battery Isolator

12 volt and 24 volt Smart Battery Isolators with 80+ amps pass through and solid-state control

Battery isolator (or split charge relay) allows an auxiliary battery to be charged by the vehicle's system, yet prevents the starting battery from being run down by your equipment when the engine is off.

I carry a C-pap machine with me when out traveling & camping. I use this to charge my PC925 battery after each use. It is always charging & connected to the main battery but when the main battery voltage goes down to 12.6V it disconnects the auxiliary battery. The aux battery is parasitic only until the main battery drops to 12.6V then the two are disconnected. Have been working for me since 2009.
Cheers. (dunno why the font color is different from the post, oh well)
CT
URAL CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #40
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Rescue Wagon, you seem to be technically competent in the field, do you believe that using Lithium Ion batteries is a logical and reliable improvement.

Based on what I have read it looks great on paper, light and holds charge for long periods which helps for long trips when the bike gets stored for months.

Are the batteries called Lithium Ion, LION or what. Is there an official acronym.

Just want to make sure there are not 2 separate technologies that are getting confused.

thanks dave
LION = Lithium Ion

My experience with them is that they are lighter and smaller for the same amount of output as other battery types which is why you find them in iPods and Smartphones. They won't develop a memory like some batteries can and they are capable of being charged and discharged numerous times with little issues.

The downside is they typical only good for two to three years and that time starts from when the battery is manufactured, so it seems like a very expensive investment when you look at the price of the LION motorcycle batteries.

My setup is two traditional batteries, battery isolator, and battery tender to be able to camp at night and insure in the morning my bike will start and all my accessories will be connected to the second battery as well, so once the bike is turned off if I leave my Ham Radio on it will only be able to drain the second battery and not the starting battery.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by URAL CT View Post
12 volt and 24 volt Smart Battery Isolators with 80+ amps pass through and solid-state control

Battery isolator (or split charge relay) allows an auxiliary battery to be charged by the vehicle's system, yet prevents the starting battery from being run down by your equipment when the engine is off.

I carry a C-pap machine with me when out traveling & camping. I use this to charge my PC925 battery after each use. It is always charging & connected to the main battery but when the main battery voltage goes down to 12.6V it disconnects the auxiliary battery. The aux battery is parasitic only until the main battery drops to 12.6V then the two are disconnected. Have been working for me since 2009.
Cheers. (dunno why the font color is different from the post, oh well)
CT
Thanks a lot that looks exactly like what I need (I think) and it appears to be small. Is it water proof or does it need to be mounted in some kind of case.

dave
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Battery Isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Thanks a lot that looks exactly like what I need (I think) and it appears to be small. Is it water proof or does it need to be mounted in some kind of case.

dave
Hi Dave...I don't think it needs to be mounted in a case. Mine is mounted on an (aftermarket) air cleaner unit on my Ural. Won't hurt to put silicone sealer where you might think water could get in. Just mount it under the seat or some place where it is shielded from direct water exposure. I've had mine through some rainstorms & seem not to be bothered by it. There's a small green LED light that is lit up when the two batteries are connected. It goes off when the main battery voltage goes below 12.6V. I kept my installation simple, there are other features though. Neat little unit...it has survived since '09.
http://www.powerstream.com/battery-i...olid-state.htm
URAL CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
BaldHead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I ride Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord. Very interested to build dual battery system but second battery (sitting inside some custom made alu box) will be quick and easy to remove (with the box) and to attach back on bike when needed (long and/or remote area trips, camp weekends).
That alu box with second battery will have to be fitted somewhere close to my alu panniers, not sure yet where exactly. Thick wires fitted permanently on bike, connected to main battery on one side and to high power quick connectors (plugs ?) on other side. These connectors (Anderson type maybe ?) will be permanently fitted on back of bike, close to alu box with second battery and connected to it when second battery attached on bike. Thick wire (plus) fused 100A. I am thinking I should fit isolator inside the alu box (with second battery) but not sure yet. I can take the alu box with me inside/close to a tent to power light, laptops, communication etc...
Also, second battery needs to be capable to work as main-starting battery in case normal starting battery fails (that is exactly what happened to me year ago in Flinders Ranges Nat. Park). This is my general concept but have lot of dilemmas...hope to find somebody more knowledgeable here...my questions are:
-I would love to use lithium as second battery but is that correct to combine acid type starting battery with lithium type battery ?
-Is that safe for rec/reg and generator to force them to do this job ? (recharging sometimes flat lithium battery AND provide power for bike including 2 x 45W H4 globes etc...) ?
BaldHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #44
Syncrosimon
Numpty

Oddometer: 32
Tenere

Reading this thread with interest.

I am about to wire up a second battery on my sons Yamaha 660Z Tenere.
We are using a powerlet kit from Zen Overland same as this. It will allow power to enter the Givi Trekker Top Box with a quickly removable SAE connector with a fused connection to the battery.

http://www.zenoverland.com/electrica...TB-004-A1.html

We are then thinking of having a second battery inside the top box wired in via a battery separator type relay. This should allow charging of the second battery when the engine is running, separate them when not. The Top Box is then filled with the things that need charging, and most importantly the whole top box will be removable to the tent, and provide power for lighting, and charging etc.

I think this should work, and no need for an uprated generator as the battery won't be that big. (Not sure what size and type we will use)
The top box will be compartmentalized with slots for all the individual items used during the day. IE the Jet Boil, water, day rations of food so these can be quickly accessed.

what do you think?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #45
2Fat2Pedal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How About One of These

I'm probably going to get on of these for solo, remote area riding.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstartxp1/

"The Micro-Start PPS (Personal Power Supply) is the world’s smallest Jump Starter and Personal Power Supply (only 6” x 2-7/8” x 1”). The built-in Extreme Power Lithium battery can hold a charge for up to a year and not only will it jump-start any car, truck, motorcycle or powersports vehicle mulitple times, but also provides hours of backup power to all of your electronic devices. Weighing less than a pound (14 oz.) and small enough to fit in your pocket..."