User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
terrordaktyl rexxx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I need more room on handle bars.

Dealing with an xl600r. The bars are crowded. It has choke decomp all sorts of things. I'd like to add some real hand gaurds and at some point a GPS/ phone mount.

The width of the bars is all ready where I need it to be, so what I am looking for are a set of bars that have a narrower center; sort of like a z bar youd put on a street bike, so there is less bar space occupied by sweeping bend and rise. New to this scene I'm not really sure if something like his exists or what a work around may be.

Any help appreciated.
terrordaktyl rexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
cycra has triple tree mounts available for their hand guards. Not sure which application might work for you. Other brands may have this, too.
Not sure what gps you are using, but RAM has balls that will screw into a mirror mount along with bar clamp type mounts.

Might check this thread in thumpers http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=xl600
Ditch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
try the highway dirtbikes setup, the handguards mount to a handlebar top clamp, plenty of options for adding other bits too
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
try the highway dirtbikes setup, the handguards mount to a handlebar top clamp, plenty of options for adding other bits too
+1

If you can live with a smaller mirror, HDB has mirrors built into the hand guards, saving more room on the bars.

I've also got a bar real estate crisis. I bought a KTM 300 with flex bars. It's plated, so I've got mirror & horn on the left. I want to mount a left hand rear brake and an engine map toggle switch, but have no room. I think I'll have to figure out how to relocate some of that stuff to the funky cross-bar.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
terrordaktyl rexxx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Good suggestions all.

This dual sport stuff gets spendy huh.

I think the moose racing ones would work, or something similar because I could mourn the inner stanchion on the downwards but of the bar.

I'll have to hunt some pictures.
terrordaktyl rexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 422
Use an XR650 clutch perch it has the decomp and the clutch mounted together. I used it on my XR250 so could cut the bars down tight woods riding.
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
This is a common problem among enduro riders who run very narrow bars. Bar bends with the very narrow middle section are generically known as a mini bike bend. The renthal website gives measurements for all dimensions of their various bends. Look under the section for mini bikes, not full size.

I run bend number 783.
heart_of_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote