Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #211
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
It would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Why did you decide to do this ride alone? I would think it would be more fun sharing the ride with a fellow rider.
It would be. Not easy finding someone. I decided I would go it alone if no one else would go.

I expect I'll meet up with John Downs and RTW Paul along the way. I have been in touch with them through AdvRider. They are both posting ride reports here.

Travelling by yourself is not all bad. You decide what happens. When to ride, when to stop, when to eat, what to eat, when to sleep, when to get up. and you meet a lot of people. If you want to have a conversation you are forced to go meet someone.

People find a solo rider to be very approachable. All kinds of people talk to me. I had a wonderful conversation this morning with a man and his wife at the hotel in Galveston. They were a wonderful couple. He had the most excellent Louisiana accent. He's in Real Estate. They were riding a big red Harley and he said he had another at home. They have grand kids. How cool is that they are still riding and have grand kids. I wish I had remembered to take their picture. It's encounters like that that really make your day when you are alone.

I tried to download the video I shot while riding out of Galveston. It downloaded for hours and then just disappeared from #$@%^$#% Youtube. I may work on a shortened version when I have time. It won't have the same effect. So many bikes!

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:38 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #212
Kedgi OP
Banned

Last Night from the biker bar (Video)

I shot this from the biker bar with my Olympus (not HD but will download to Youtube) as the action on the strip got faster and wilder as the night wore on

http://youtu.be/NwFLBHklt80
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #213
BluNozr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
BluNozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #214
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hey Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
I believe in that and I discovered today.... That if a bad ass Texas Thunderstorm is bearing down on you..The nearest |Gas station your GPS can find will serve as a port in the storm.

Alive and well in Port Aransas, TX.... Going to look for new rubber for the trusty KLR tomorrow in Corpus (not that mine are completely done) I'd just like to have new ones to try and make it to Medellin where I believe I can get yet another set? Would welcome any suggestions from those like you that are in the know

About to take the plunge into Mexico later this week.

Had a wonderful night here in Port A watching football. Go Seahawks!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #215
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
If I had known you were headed this way I'm in Victoria Tx. Btw the Kawasaki dealer in Corpus is closed on Mondays. There is another place called Dynamo Cycles that is open and the people are very nice..

https://www.facebook.com/dynamocycle

Have a safe trip!!!
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #216
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
If I had known you were headed this way I'm in Victoria Tx. Btw the Kawasaki dealer in Corpus is closed on Mondays. There is another place called Dynamo Cycles that is open and the people are very nice..

https://www.facebook.com/dynamocycle

Have a safe trip!!!

I checked their hours before I rode over there and you are right they are closed on Mondays. That had occurred to me because dealerships at home do the same thing.

I found a Kawasaki shop in Laredo, called them they are btrying to get me a set of Anakee 2's and install them for me tomorrow afternoon. I'm just waiting for a call to say they can get them.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #217
dbmet
Adventurer

Good luck and safe travels!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #218
Kedgi OP
Banned

Port Aransas

The ride to Port Aransas was uneventful across a lot of open farm land like this

You ride on a ferry like this to get here

Port Aransas is a nice little tourist town I watched Football met some nice people, Tim and Sandy who are from Minnesota and Winter here.

This place is a football bar with lots of fans and excitement. It was fun.

I stayed at a cool motel, Amelia's Landing. They gave me a good deal on a nice room. The owners are pilots and every room is decorated in different aircraft motif. I'm in the Mustang P-51 room

The walls in my room are all done in P-51 memorabilia

There are actual parts from a P-51 on the wall including a "circuit destroyer explosive device" which if I'm not mistaken would blow out the circuits of the aircraft rendering it useless if capture of the aircraft was imminent

I had a visit from Steve, a local rider who had sought me out after seeing me on the ferry yesterday. That was nice!

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 09:45 AM
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #219
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Good luck and safe travels!!!
Thank You!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #220
Kedgi OP
Banned

Port Aransas

A few Pictures from my walk this morning just to show what a nice little tropical town this is

There was Jimmy Buffett music coming out of here at 8AM

And, the pool at my hotel! Nice!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #221
Kedgi OP
Banned

Anakee 2's

I am having an issue finding the tires I need. I can find the front a 90/90 21 but not the rear so far.

I would like to find a 130/80 17 Michelin Anakee 2

There is a shop in Corpus that has a rear but it is narrower and taller at 120/90 17 and that doesn't appeal to me in high temperatures with a heavy load and bad roads.

The Kawasaki shop in Laredo called me and said "I can't find Michelin Anakee 2's I think they are discontinued.

There is another big shop in Corpus that's closed today. Everyone keep their fingers crossed that they have the tires I need. If not and if worse comes to worse I'm stuck for a few days waiting for tires. I would have thought this would have been easy. I bought the tires off the shelf in tiny Moncton, NB Who would have guessed they would be tough to find in Texas.

The shops in San Antonio are another option but they are closed Mondays too.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #222
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Glad to have you in Louisiana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Dauphin Island Bridge in the distance

Landing on Dauphin Island

I took this picture just for Angele

This was a gas station "too far" on our previous trip to Alabama

After leaving Dauphin Island which I filmed on GoPro. (It's an amazing bridge)

I hung out and drank in a parking lot

I rode through Biloxi and filmed it on GoPro ( I will do the GoPro edits when I have a chance.)

Biloxi's beaches are amazing. I wish I had seen Biloxi before it was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina. In the 4 years that have passed since I was last in Biloxi some rebuilding has happened but there is a lot more to do, at least that's the feeling I get.

After Biloxi I made for Mendeville LA, on the invite and recommendation of another inmate Moto-Ray. He suggested I stay at the Fountainbleau, State Park on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Excellent suggestion on Ray's part. only $16.00 for a nice site and the park has hot showers for free.

I got this excellent view of the causeway to New Orleans. I had no idea, but Ray told me the causeway is 32 miles long!

Here is my humble abode in the park

and a view of my bike under the Spanish Moss on a Live Oak

Ray even came and picked me up and kindly offered to buy my supper. How nice is that? What fun to meet another inmate.

Here's Ray

Check out the awesome suppers.....darn it! I took a pictures of the suppers but I don't have it. A wonderful homemade burger for me, complete with deep fried pickle chips, which i'd never had before but are awesome and ray had a great looking beef po-boy sandwich.

Strange but my picture of the beer we had turned out. It was good too, locally made Abita. I'm serious. I don't get what happened to my picture of an awesome meal, courtesy of Ray.

Here's Ray and I after a great meal and a great chat. Two guys that love bikes having fun!

Ray dropped me off at the campground and I was asleep in minutes. I am using a new tent a Camp 2 I bought at Mountain Equipment Co-Op and so far i don't like it. I doesn't breath well. It was humid last night but look at the moisture on the inside of this tent. It was wetter inside than out

Kedgi
I'm glad we got to meet up and I hope you enjoyed your time in Louisiana! Safe travels. I'll be following along!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #223
Kedgi OP
Banned

The Salty Dog

My friends Tim and Sandy, that I met last night during football have invited me to play shuffleboard at the Salty Dog this afternoon.

It's not all bad taking a day off from riding and waiting for Motorcycle shops to open tomorrow

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #224
dbmet
Adventurer

The two stores in Victoria are closed as well on Monday.. The last store is another in Corpus But I haven't ever seen much in the store..Lol

d
Heres there names and numbers
Dales Fun Center
9802 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
(361) 578-5288

Velocity Powersports
13102 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
(361) 570-6767

Irv Thomas Honda Suzuki
1110 S Padre Island Dr
Corpus Christi, TX 78416-2115
361-857-0127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I am having an issue finding the tires I need. I can find the front a 90/90 21 but not the rear so far.

I would like to find a 130/80 17 Michelin Anakee 2

There is a shop in Corpus that has a rear but it is narrower and taller at 120/90 17 and that doesn't appeal to me in high temperatures with a heavy load and bad roads.

The Kawasaki shop in Laredo called me and said "I can't find Michelin Anakee 2's I think they are discontinued.

There is another big shop in Corpus that's closed today. Everyone keep their fingers crossed that they have the tires I need. If not and if worse comes to worse I'm stuck for a few days waiting for tires. I would have thought this would have been easy. I bought the tires off the shelf in tiny Moncton, NB Who would have guessed they would be tough to find in Texas.

The shops in San Antonio are another option but they are closed Mondays too.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #225
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
The two stores in Victoria are closed as well on Monday.. The last store is another in Corpus But I haven't ever seen much in the store..Lol

d
Heres there names and numbers
Dales Fun Center
9802 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
(361) 578-5288

Velocity Powersports
13102 North Navarro Street Victoria, TX 77904
(361) 570-6767

Irv Thomas Honda Suzuki
1110 S Padre Island Dr
Corpus Christi, TX 78416-2115
361-857-0127

Thanks for all the info

Surely, Someone in Texas has an Anakee 2 to fit a KLR. I'll check out the guys you suggested tomorrow

PS had a great time playing suffleboard i love the crowd that's living here in Port A

Thanks again for the support

Kedgi