Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #256
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Tires

I got my tires yesterday afternoon.

The guys at Kawasaki Cycle Plaza in Corpus were great

I took this picture, without my glasses on, can you tell? What a shame I didn't take two

They were very thorough checking my bike over. The mechanic found out that the clip on my chain's master link was gone!

I wonder how long I've been riding without that!

I was in heavy fast Corpus traffic, on hundreds of Mountain curves on the East Coast. Yikes!

Here are a few pictures of the shop and some nice bikes there

My Bike on the hoist

After a long day, (UPS was late with my tires)

I came back to Port A and spent a wonderful evening talking to Jody

and Sheila

and my other friends at the Salty Dog.

I love Port A and the people in it. What a great town

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:24 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #257
mundleb
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey Dwight:
I'm enjoying your posts. In my mind, I'm riding with you.
Brad
mundleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #258
Kedgi OP
Banned

Pcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Well, I almost caught up to you, Kedg. Got to PCB today and just love it. Craigslist provided me with a furnished bach pad for $850/month. Thats about $29 a day and way cheaper than what I was paying for camping down south. This morn was cold but the sunset was spectacular. So I'm officially stopped for at least a month. Sorry we missed.
Toad
Awesome deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy PCB. When you do move West, Port Aransas TX is awesome.

I'm sorry we missed too

Kedgi
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #259
Kedgi OP
Banned

Pcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Well, I almost caught up to you, Kedg. Got to PCB today and just love it. Craigslist provided me with a furnished bach pad for $850/month. Thats about $29 a day and way cheaper than what I was paying for camping down south. This morn was cold but the sunset was spectacular. So I'm officially stopped for at least a month. Sorry we missed.
Toad
Awesome deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy PCB. When you do move West, Port Aransas TX is awesome.

I'm sorry we missed too

Kedgi
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #260
Kedgi OP
Banned

Port Aransas to McAllen TX

Early this morning I PM'd John Downs who is a few days ahead of me and asked for routing info through Reynosa. John very kindly replied right away and I decided to follow his basic route so I rode to McAllen TX today.

On my way out of Port Aransas I rode very near the Kawasaki shop that had been such a great help. I went in to get better pictures and thank they guys again. I couldn't live with that blurry photo.

Here's Brett on the left that really jumped through hoops to get my tires and a couple other parts on a timely basis

Sorry, but I didn't catch the other service advisor's name. He was very nice to me too

Here is Larry, the mechanic, who caught the missing clip on my chain and saved my butt

I thought today would be a relatively easy ride since I was only going as far as McAllen. It didn't turn out that way

Wind, Lotsa Wind! And high temperature 91F. The wind off the Gulf was incredible!

I had to stop for two hours in Kingsville at the peak of the wind. It just wasn't safe to ride in it

About three kilometers north of Bishop TX while I was riding on HWY 77 which is full of big trucks driving at about 85mph the wind lifted my front wheel up and over about 4". I have no idea why I didn't crash. It was close. Of course there was a big truck bearing down on me from behind who just missed me when I backed out of the throttle. The gusts were so strong I felt like some one had me around the neck and was trying to haul me off the bike. I also discovered it's extremely difficult to make a right hand turn while your bike is leaned to the left at about 30 degrees just to stay upright. The crosswind was so strong the engine was burning my leg off on the downwind side. I could barely hold the bike up at stoplights. I couldn't even turn it upwind while trying to turn in a parking lot.

I pulled into Bishop after the near miss with the big truck and I stopped at a little gas station/convenience store where I could sit out of the wind in the shade and considered my options. The owner told me if I could make it five miles further there was a more substantial town, Kingsville. I made it there after a brief rest in Bishop and had lunch at KFC. I dug out my paper maps and found I could cut across King ranch to TX 281. It was better. After a two hour break I set out to TX 281. There was truck traffic but not as much. I pushed on a 90 to 100 kph which was absolutely all I could do. The trucks absolutely fly in Texas. 80 mph plus. Every one that would pass me would just about rip me off the bike with the 45 mph crosswind it was breaking up. Thank God it is a 4 lane divided highway. On the two lane leaving Corpus drivers would come absolutely smoking up behind me and then slow to 50 mph to follow me at about 10 feet off my tailight even though you could see for miles and there was no traffic coming. I was having such a struggle I couldn't even take my hand off the bars to wave them by. I have no idea WTF they are thinking when they do that.

Here is my view in Bishop. It looked like heaven to me because I was out of the wind and off the bike.

There is not much out here to stop the wind and not much to take pictures of

There isn't much on RTE 281. When I saw a Dairy Queen I stopped to take a break. I was melting and exhausted from my battle with the wind.

I told the girl at the reception of the motel I checked into, "I have never been so glad to get to a Motel in my life." Terrifying ride. I turned on the local weather and it's supposed to be even windier tomorrow. Ill be hangin in McAllen. No way is my first day in Mexico going to involve riding in wind like that.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:02 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #261
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Be careful Dwight! That's some scary stuff. I notice bad driving everywhere. I complain about it all the time even when I am in my Porsche on a divided 4 lane highway with little to no traffic, drivers will come right up on my tail, pass and even though the passing lane is clear for miles, will cut right back in front of me. One car length for every 10 miles per hour. Why is that so hard to comprehend?
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #262
Kedgi OP
Banned

Wish you were here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundleb View Post
Hey Dwight:
I'm enjoying your posts. In my mind, I'm riding with you.
Brad
Wish you WERE riding with me today, and I was following you in my Z4
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #263
Kedgi OP
Banned

Eagle Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
I agree with staying another night. I don't think I would want to be driving towards eagle pass at night. Doesn't sound like fun!!!
I'm so glad I went back to Port Aransas and had a good night's rest after a long day at Kawasaki and that I opted to ride to McAllen today instead of Eagle Pass. I never would have made it in this wind.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #264
Kedgi OP
Banned

Terrible driving here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Be careful Dwight! That's some scary stuff. I notice bad driving everywhere. I complain about it all the time even when I am in my Porsche on a divided 4 lane highway with little to no traffic, drivers will come right up on my tail, pass and even though the passing lane is clear for miles, will cut right back in front of me. One car length for every 10 miles per hour. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Terrible driving here. I saw a pickup pulling a big utility trailer pass and then absolutely cut off another pickup. The offended pickup had to smoke the brakes, all right in front of me of course. I'm guessing the passing truck forgot he had the trailer behind him.

I cannot fathom why people would slow 20 to 25 miles an hour to tailgate me with wide open road for ten miles in front of us. Why not pass? Others would pass at 90 miles an hour. Why not just back it off for a second and take it easy. It must have been obvious I was struggling with the wind to anyone with a brain.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #265
Kedgi OP
Banned

Truck Crash

This is what happens when drivers don't slow down in the wind. This big rig was blown into the median about 20 minutes north of McAllen and that was as the sun was setting and the wind had slowed to about thirty miles an hour. The guy was OK, he climbed out just as I was coming along. Cop cars came from everywhere. I don't know what they were all doing before the crash. A few of them should have been out there with radar slowing the traffic down.

The look at the crash and the cops flying up the northbound lanes, finally slowed the dummies down. It was a much more peaceful ride the last 20 miles into town after passing the crash.

Here is the video I shot of the crash scene.

http://youtu.be/zkyWqh93Ndo
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #266
PortAJody
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
This is what happens when drivers don't slow down in the wind. This big rig was blown into the median about 20 minutes north of McAllen and that was as the sun was setting and the wind had slowed to about thirty miles an hour. The guy was OK, he climbed out just as I was coming along. Cop cars came from everywhere. I don't know what they were all doing before the crash. A few of them should have been out there with radar slowing the traffic down.

The look at the crash and the cops flying up the northbound lanes, finally slowed the dummies down. It was a much more peaceful ride the last 20 miles into town after passing the crash.

Here is the video I shot of the crash scene.

http://youtu.be/zkyWqh93Ndo
Dwight, I'm glad you made it. I was hoping the farther you got inland the wind would die down. Just take it easy my friend.
PortAJody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #267
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Did your mother not tell you that everything is bigger and faster in TX? Try riding West from Kerville to El Paso on I 10 where the posted speed limit is 85! The side roads like 90 West is posted at 75.

Yup, I have been blown right off the road down there. Fortuntely there was no large culvert as I desperately tried to stop travelling at 45 degrees to the Highway, off-road!

The next few days should be more pleasant - ride on!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #268
Kedgi OP
Banned

Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortAJody View Post
Dwight, I'm glad you made it. I was hoping the farther you got inland the wind would die down. Just take it easy my friend.

I thought the wind would die down but no such luck. Between Corpus and Kingsville was an experience for sure! Adventure!

I'm safe and sound and taking it easy today. I have the luxury of time to stay put and play it safe today.

I feel every bit of my 55 years this morning. Sore all over.

My plan today is to buy Mexican insurance, photocopy my paperwork for the border, etc., find a better motel, this one is hurting for the price they charge.

It's all good Jody, I'm safe and sound.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 07:04 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #269
Kedgi OP
Banned

I-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Did your mother not tell you that everything is bigger and faster in TX? Try riding West from Kerville to El Paso on I 10 where the posted speed limit is 85! The side roads like 90 West is posted at 75.

Yup, I have been blown right off the road down there. Fortuntely there was no large culvert as I desperately tried to stop travelling at 45 degrees to the Highway, off-road!

The next few days should be more pleasant - ride on!
I have driven parts of that I-10, in West Texas, in my van, pulling an antique travel trailer. Man! Do they ever move out there! We detoured to Rte 90 that time, which parallels the Mexican border, and had a wonderful, slower trip.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 07:06 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #270
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 189
Sounds like you're getting ready for a whole new chapter...Mexico and south. I always get pre-border "jitters" but it always seems to work out. All the best.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote