Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #436
shirtman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
wind - looks like Iowa with all the wind farms!

Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Today. I got going early, poor little Simba didn't want me to go. When she saw me all packed with my gear on she came running right over and put her paw up on my knee.

I gave Andeas a hug and my last words to him as I rode away were Adios Amigo.

When you leave Zipolite for Huatulco it's pretty twisty and hard to make time. You have to ride at about 80kph or 50mph just in case. You never know what's going to "Pop" up on a Mexican road.

When you look on the map there is not a lot along that shore. I asked the GPS for gas stations as I was going by the entrance to Huatulco and the only ones it could find were in that town. I went in to get gas and go to a bank machine. They are kind or rare to, but the have them in Huatulco for all the tourists who fly in the stay at the big resorts. There are some pretty fancy places there, but I'll bet they are not $8/night and I'll bet they don't come with a dog and cat.

I saw these two guys in town after I bought gas.

They liked my bike and I told them what they wanted to know about it, at least i think I did. They seemed to go away satisfied. The one fellow said "Bonito" as he stared at the bike.

I like their load of pineapples, did they ever smell good.

After I met the Pineapple guys I met this nice Mexican couple from Puebla who have a vacation spot in Huatulco.

Jose and I believe she said here name was Sol

Jose knew where New Brunswick is!!!! In fact he's ridden across Canada on a Honda 250. How cool is that? He told me the bike is in storage in Quebec and he's going up to get it in the Spring and ride it to Texas.

Jose told me he used to be the equivanlt of an American Congressman in the Mexican system. He immediately offered me breakfast and a place to stay at his house. Wow! What a nice offer. I declined only because I had to make miles today. I would have loved to have seen his place. I hope he gets in touch with me whaen he comes to Canada. He gave me his information in case I need anything in Mexico, Cool!

after Huatulco i made a bunch of miles and at KM380 as advised by Jose, I headed north from the coast on a toll road. First toll road I've taken down here and the toll wasn't too bad. 15 pesos for bike 27 for cars.

I rode too far up that toll road. I went to KM51 and stopped at this little tienda for a Gatorade. It was hot and getting windy.

I took this picture there because I noticed the Spanish use the same word for furnishings and the French do. Muebles

It studied my map in the shade and that's when I discovered my mistake. I should have turned at KM23. Rat's my bad, trying too hard to make time. So I rode back, made the turn and immediately got lost again. This time it was thanks to poor signage, Rte 190 which I was supposed to be following and I have ridden a lot of 190 just seemed to disappear. I went back and forth through a town three or four times looking for where I had missed a turn, but in the end the GPS helped convince me route 190 was gone. Turns out it wasn't its just combined with route 185 and they don't have signs to indicate that, at least not for about 60 miles or more. In all I wasted over an hour or more just trying to figure out where I was going..

I almost forgot to mention seeing this little guy when I stopped for a coke somewhere between Huatulco and the toll road. His little cage was hanging under a tree by the table where I sat. He looked pretty interested in nthe English words I said to him. He's probably never heard them before.

I saw a lot more security today. I was stopped at three separate Army checkpoints. No problem, they just look in your bags and try and ask you some questions, Then I say "picito Espanol" (I only have a little Spanish) and then they give up and ask about the bike. Most of them are young guys doing a job I wouldn't want and I respect them and have been treated with respect by all of them.

When I figured out my route or at least figured out I could reach Arriaga, where ever it may be, I'm here but not really sure where here is yet, I still have to do some planning for tomorrow, I tried to boogie, but the wind across the palins was raging, it's still howling tonight. What a tiring ride.

I stopped for more gas at one point and across the parking lot was a Burger King. I never go to Burger King at home but I jumped at the chance for a whopper and fries here. I am just a plain eater. Not a fan of spicy food at the best of times and I enjoyed my burger. I didn't have any supper tonight so I'm glad I had that. I got to town just as it was getting dark and I didn't walk around here after dark.

Here is a look at the evidence of the strength of the wind on this plane. I have heard it is one of the windiest places in the world. There are untold thousands of windmills. I could barely hold the bike up when I stopped to take these photos

I got into town finally and I had had a look at Soejrd Bakkers book for advice on Hotels and sure enough he has a couple places listed here too. When I turned off the highway at a sign that pointed to Centro, the centre of town never became obvious. I saw a couple guys fixing a bike so I asked them in Spanish for directions to the hotel Panamerico. I either screwed up or they told me wrong but I never found the place so I rode around a bit looking for a spot and that's when I saw a rail sding full of boxcars each with about 100 people on top waiting to hitch a ride. It was getting dark so I just road around looking for a suitable Hotel. I was too beat and not anxious to stop and pull stuff out of my tank bag to look at Seojrd's directions and try and figure out where I was. I stubled over the Hotel Chiapas, with secure parking, private bath, flat screen TV and airconditioning. This place has WiFI and is really up to American standards and it $285pesos or about $23 dollars. I was glad to get out of the wind and I jumped at it.

This bed is going to be great tonight

Good Night!

Kedgi
shirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #437
shirtman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
we love hearing your epic stories!

We are waiting to hear where you and Angele will want to go when you get back - loved the small towns and people you have met! What do you think about on those long miles you ride, with all the views and interesting places and things you see? (btw - it looked like our wind farms here in Iowa!)

Quote:
Today. I got going early, poor little Simba didn't want me to go. When she saw me all packed with my gear on she came running right over and put her paw up on my knee.

I gave Andeas a hug and my last words to him as I rode away were Adios Amigo.

When you leave Zipolite for Huatulco it's pretty twisty and hard to make time. You have to ride at about 80kph or 50mph just in case. You never know what's going to "Pop" up on a Mexican road.

When you look on the map there is not a lot along that shore. I asked the GPS for gas stations as I was going by the entrance to Huatulco and the only ones it could find were in that town. I went in to get gas and go to a bank machine. They are kind or rare to, but the have them in Huatulco for all the tourists who fly in the stay at the big resorts. There are some pretty fancy places there, but I'll bet they are not $8/night and I'll bet they don't come with a dog and cat.

I saw these two guys in town after I bought gas.

They liked my bike and I told them what they wanted to know about it, at least i think I did. They seemed to go away satisfied. The one fellow said "Bonito" as he stared at the bike.

I like their load of pineapples, did they ever smell good.

After I met the Pineapple guys I met this nice Mexican couple from Puebla who have a vacation spot in Huatulco.

Jose and I believe she said here name was Sol

Jose knew where New Brunswick is!!!! In fact he's ridden across Canada on a Honda 250. How cool is that? He told me the bike is in storage in Quebec and he's going up to get it in the Spring and ride it to Texas.

Jose told me he used to be the equivanlt of an American Congressman in the Mexican system. He immediately offered me breakfast and a place to stay at his house. Wow! What a nice offer. I declined only because I had to make miles today. I would have loved to have seen his place. I hope he gets in touch with me whaen he comes to Canada. He gave me his information in case I need anything in Mexico, Cool!

after Huatulco i made a bunch of miles and at KM380 as advised by Jose, I headed north from the coast on a toll road. First toll road I've taken down here and the toll wasn't too bad. 15 pesos for bike 27 for cars.

I rode too far up that toll road. I went to KM51 and stopped at this little tienda for a Gatorade. It was hot and getting windy.

I took this picture there because I noticed the Spanish use the same word for furnishings and the French do. Muebles

It studied my map in the shade and that's when I discovered my mistake. I should have turned at KM23. Rat's my bad, trying too hard to make time. So I rode back, made the turn and immediately got lost again. This time it was thanks to poor signage, Rte 190 which I was supposed to be following and I have ridden a lot of 190 just seemed to disappear. I went back and forth through a town three or four times looking for where I had missed a turn, but in the end the GPS helped convince me route 190 was gone. Turns out it wasn't its just combined with route 185 and they don't have signs to indicate that, at least not for about 60 miles or more. In all I wasted over an hour or more just trying to figure out where I was going..

I almost forgot to mention seeing this little guy when I stopped for a coke somewhere between Huatulco and the toll road. His little cage was hanging under a tree by the table where I sat. He looked pretty interested in nthe English words I said to him. He's probably never heard them before.

I saw a lot more security today. I was stopped at three separate Army checkpoints. No problem, they just look in your bags and try and ask you some questions, Then I say "picito Espanol" (I only have a little Spanish) and then they give up and ask about the bike. Most of them are young guys doing a job I wouldn't want and I respect them and have been treated with respect by all of them.

When I figured out my route or at least figured out I could reach Arriaga, where ever it may be, I'm here but not really sure where here is yet, I still have to do some planning for tomorrow, I tried to boogie, but the wind across the palins was raging, it's still howling tonight. What a tiring ride.

I stopped for more gas at one point and across the parking lot was a Burger King. I never go to Burger King at home but I jumped at the chance for a whopper and fries here. I am just a plain eater. Not a fan of spicy food at the best of times and I enjoyed my burger. I didn't have any supper tonight so I'm glad I had that. I got to town just as it was getting dark and I didn't walk around here after dark.

Here is a look at the evidence of the strength of the wind on this plane. I have heard it is one of the windiest places in the world. There are untold thousands of windmills. I could barely hold the bike up when I stopped to take these photos

I got into town finally and I had had a look at Soejrd Bakkers book for advice on Hotels and sure enough he has a couple places listed here too. When I turned off the highway at a sign that pointed to Centro, the centre of town never became obvious. I saw a couple guys fixing a bike so I asked them in Spanish for directions to the hotel Panamerico. I either screwed up or they told me wrong but I never found the place so I rode around a bit looking for a spot and that's when I saw a rail sding full of boxcars each with about 100 people on top waiting to hitch a ride. It was getting dark so I just road around looking for a suitable Hotel. I was too beat and not anxious to stop and pull stuff out of my tank bag to look at Seojrd's directions and try and figure out where I was. I stubled over the Hotel Chiapas, with secure parking, private bath, flat screen TV and airconditioning. This place has WiFI and is really up to American standards and it $285pesos or about $23 dollars. I was glad to get out of the wind and I jumped at it.

This bed is going to be great tonight

Good Night!

Kedgi
shirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #438
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,228
Excellent ride report. Im hooked. Good luck along the way!
Sometimes when i have lousy internet service, i write the daily reports in a different program, then cut and paste them in. ( you can even include the picture links)
Might save some serious grief if its lost somewhere in the great www.www.www wasteland

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #439
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri View Post
Excellent ride report. Im hooked. Good luck along the way!
Sometimes when i have lousy internet service, i write the daily reports in a different program, then cut and paste them in. ( you can even include the picture links)
Might save some serious grief if its lost somewhere in the great www.www.www wasteland

I thought about trying that last night. I wish I knew how.

db
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #440
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,693
There you are. How's Guatemala?
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #441
Kedgi OP
Banned

Alive and well in Antigua Guatemala

I have had an interesting couple days. Crossing the border, I felt like a N00B inspite of my reading of ride reports. You are overwhelmed with "helpers" You don't want to leave your bike alone. You have no choice. You want to cancel your deposit you paid to bring your bike into Mexico, turns out that building is twenty miles back. What a cluster. It's 100 degrees and humid. And there is a complete Carnival atmosphere. I was about 4 to 4 and a half hours crossing, cost me about 300 bucks. No idea exactly why, may have been taken, but I would have paid 1000 bucks just to get out of there. There is absolutely no feeling either government has even the remotest control over what goes on there, nor are they attempting to control what's going on there. There are a lot of signs saying they are trying to cut out corruption, but my guess is the guy that has that contract is corrupt.

I was told, via my helper I had to pay $260 for a 90 day sticker for the bike for the Latin Countries or $90/ Country step by step.

They, they Guatemalan Government, do not take Visa, WTF? are you kidding? My helper and I had to ride two up to a bank machine on the Guat side after riding 40 miles two up to the Bancocito to cancel my Mexican sticker? WTF? What an afternoon. Decidedly not fun. He paid the Latin sticker price, I paid him back and that's why I have no doubt I was taken but what can you do? No Control. I knew not to change money or not much money and I changed about a thousand Mexican Peso's and I think I got robbed, but I had no idea what a Guat Q was worth because I forgot to look it up.

I took 2000 Q out of the bank machine and paid my helper, took 300 Q out for myself, then the bank machine said something in Spanish that meant I couldn't get any more money so I was in Gaut with 30 bucks in my pocket and the sun was going down. Wanted a room with internet, no such thing to be found, had cashews and and Orange juice for supper cause I wanted to get down here where I knew there might be internet, and I could find out WTF was going on with my card. Decided not to eat all day because if my card had been shut off by the bank I might need my 30 bucks. Finally got here after buying gas twice by the gallon rather than filling the tank. Not fun 9000kms from home with no momey. Chris at Moto Cafe was alife saver, got card issues sorted. have money.

Got told by ADVrider they removed my PayPal link. (against the rules) Am thinking this is my last post. I'll write a book instead

It is a ton of work to post from the road..

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 04:12 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #442
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Hi Dwight,

You are understandably upset after a tough couple days. I'm so sorry you got taken advantage of. Sounds like you entered Guatemala down at Tapachula on the hot coastal plains. I recommend people try Mesilla up in the mountains. It's a bit out of the way, but is worth it for the cool mountain air and lack of helpers trying to rip you off.

Just think of it as $288.00 tuition in the school of Latin American travel. It's no big deal. The quicker you can laugh about it the better off you'll be. You made it, that's the main thing.

As far as paypal, it is against the ride report rules to put a donate button on your ride report but fine to post a link to a personal website with a donate button on it. I chose to put up a free personal google website on blogger using my name johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com and put the button there. Along with a link to my ride report so family and friends who don't know how to navigate the ADVrider website can easily click the link and go to the ride report.

You'll cool down and relax after a few beers in Guatemala and keep reporting back what you find I imagine. It's what makes a live report so much fun to read on ADVrider. The ups, the downs, the wrecks, the fooking tramitador thieves at the border...

Better than reality TV.

You might want to edit that last bit off your last post once you cool down. We are lucky to have a great place like ADVrider to post these ride reports and get feedback from fellow riders on where to go, offers of places to stay and helpful advice when things go wrong. Just a thought.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:06 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #443
Kedgi OP
Banned

John, your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Dwight,

You are understandably upset after a tough couple days. I'm so sorry you got taken advantage of. Sounds like you entered Guatemala down at Tapachula on the hot coastal plains. I recommend people try Mesilla up in the mountains. It's a bit out of the way, but is worth it for the cool mountain air and lack of helpers trying to rip you off.

Just think of it as $288.00 tuition in the school of Latin American travel. It's no big deal. The quicker you can laugh about it the better off you'll be. You made it, that's the main thing.

As far as paypal, it is against the ride report rules to put a donate button on your ride report but fine to post a link to a personal website with a donate button on it. I chose to put up a free personal google website on blogger using my name johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com and put the button there. Along with a link to my ride report so family and friends who don't know how to navigate the ADVrider website can easily click the link and go to the ride report.

You'll cool down and relax after a few beers in Guatemala and keep reporting back what you find I imagine. It's what makes a live report so much fun to read on ADVrider. The ups, the downs, the wrecks, the fooking tramitador thieves at the border...

Better than reality TV.

You might want to edit that last bit off your last post once you cool down. We are lucky to have a great place like ADVrider to post these ride reports and get feedback from fellow riders on where to go, offers of places to stay and helpful advice when things go wrong. Just a thought.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
John you're right I was a little hot when I heard from ADVrider.

I tried to get some sleep last night but there has been a steady string of Chicken buses rolling by the building since 4am. Sleeping in the Toronto Subway would be much easier, the trains are not as frequent.

I would love to be able to beam up to Key West today and have a few beers at the Green Parrot

I have to keep moving but I am not at all looking forward to more borders. Today I have to download more maps to my GPS, I rode from the border to here without the benefit of GPS thanks to not being able to find WiFi anywhere.

I had a hell of a time finding Antigua, I was absolutely fuel critical when I finally rolled in here. There are no signs along the way in from the highway and there are several unmarked turns. I asked no less than 20 people for directions, (to figure out a road that can't be 20kms) which i really couldn't understand anyway and they all kept referring to "The Carterra" I just wished someone could have told me where it was, I would have taken it. The Carterra is just a road like any other back road and in my humble opinion not a Carterra at all. But I got here safe and sound.

After Angele fixed my card problem I wanted to eat, I found a bank machine after 1.5 hours of charades with people. (there are few exterior signs in Antigua to preserve it's old town look) Turns out the words in guide books for bank machines don't work in Guatemala where I have since found a bank machine is referred to as a Cashero. Who knew?

It confounds me that even when you pull your bank card out of your pocket and simulte using it in a bank machine, people cannot or figure out what you are looking for????? WTF? In a tourist town like this, that is incredible.

I ran into Rat Bike Mike an inmate who's down here on a KLR from Alabama and he, very well intentionedly tried to lead me to a good restaurant, but after about a half an hour or more in the maze I was ready to eat the tire off a chicken bus. We gave up on that and found ....an Irish bar and had fried white chicken breast and mashed potatoes
That part was AWESOME.

Food sin picante (without spice)

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 04:50 AM
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #444
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
I have had an interesting couple days....It is a ton of work to post from the road..
I have been following your report closely, and "listening and learning". I understand if you don't want to continue posting. It is a lot of work.

Your experiences, your description of places you go; they all are enabling for those of us, including me, who will be following in your tracks. It's your trip, and your RR. Do push on to get out of the temporary funk. Good vibes coming your way!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #445
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,796
john was right you were taken at the border but as he said use it as experience, keep doing the RR, just make notes on a bit of paper or on a word document on your computer, from here on out just report when you can, do not feel obliged to write about everyday just bundle them together, wifi here is hit and miss at best, once you get on the stahlratte i show you a few things to make you life easier doing it

go back over my ride report and look at the detailed border crossing info i have done for you an other heading south to make your life easier, try an stay away from the pan am crossings whenever possible as they are all a joke

see you in 10 days when we can have a beer and laugh about it
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #446
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Hola Dwight,

You're doing great. It's very refreshing to read a ride report that tells it like it is as you hit the wall in Centro America. Many people don't make it past Honduras the first time.

I remember back when I first was trying to find Antigua so many years ago. It took fooking forever. Finally hit town just before midnight after wandering around backroads in the mountains for hours. This was before the time of GPS.

I would highly recommend you think about heading to Copan Ruinas going into Honduras. It is a very mellow border crossing. It should cost around 35.00 for you and the bike. 625 lempiras or so. Rtwpaul has pictures and a nice write up of the process into Honduras at that border crossing from his ride report from a couple weeks ago.

You might save yourself time and money.

Just some ideas.

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:17 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #447
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Dwight,

You're doing great. It's very refreshing to read a ride report that tells it like it is as you hit the wall in Centro America. Many people don't make it past Honduras the first time.

I remember back when I first was trying to find Antigua so many years ago. It took fooking forever. Finally hit town just before midnight after wandering around backroads in the mountains for hours. This was before the time of GPS.

I would highly recommend you think about heading to Copan Ruinas going into Honduras. It is a very mellow border crossing. It should cost around 35.00 for you and the bike. 625 lempiras or so. Rtwpaul has pictures and a nice write up of the process into Honduras at that border crossing from his ride report from a couple weeks ago.

You might save yourself time and money.

Just some ideas.

Best,

John Downs

Thanks John, I appreciate your input. I'm going to sit down with Chris at the Moto Cafe, here in Antigua and go over some routing this afternoon

I think things will be better, once I'm underway again.

Down but not out!

Dwight
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #448
Kedgi OP
Banned

ADVrider explains

The Good folks at ADVrider have explained the problems they have had in the past with fund raising links and I now understand their situation. I love reading this forum and I'm glad it's available.

I apologize for lashing out at ADVrider and although it's not an excuse, It was Murphy's Law that once you have a set of problems another would just HAVE to pop up.

I get with it and post some more today.

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #449
514Advrider
Addicted

Oddometer: 73
Hey Dwight,
Glad to hear you're moving forward. It's a lot of work to keep a ride report up to date, and especially when wifi is slow. I'm in the same boat with my blog right now. On top of that, a few keys on my notebook stopped working, so typing is sloooow. Since you're on a tight schedule, daily updates will be a hard thing to achieve. Don't sweat it, just write when you can. The most important thing is that you get the most out of the experience. The RR is secondary. We're in Palenque right now, and i'll continue following your progress. Cuidate!
Pawel
514Advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #450
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 514Advrider View Post
Hey Dwight,
Glad to hear you're moving forward. It's a lot of work to keep a ride report up to date, and especially when wifi is slow. I'm in the same boat with my blog right now. On top of that, a few keys on my notebook stopped working, so typing is sloooow. Since you're on a tight schedule, daily updates will be a hard thing to achieve. Don't sweat it, just write when you can. The most important thing is that you get the most out of the experience. The RR is secondary. We're in Palenque right now, and i'll continue following your progress. Cuidate!
Pawel
Thanks Pawel

Ride safe.

It was just a couple of really bad days, I'll recover.

Dwight