Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #556
pboulianne09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Steph made it on the CTV news;

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1078863

She looks pretty beat up but nothing broken and she's continuing her journey.
pboulianne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #557
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 150
Laugh

Hi Dwight,

We are practically neighbours as I am in Moncton. I just found this thread last week and have been catching up on it ever since. Epic trip and thanks for the posting and pictures. Nice to recognize the names of some of the other inmates who are following your trip and posting as well. I really like your travel philosophy and honesty in sharing your emotions during the trip.

I am curious about your GPS and downloading of maps. Do you have them on your computer and are just talking about downloading them to your GPS or are you talking about going to some site, like Garmin, and purchasing/downloading from there?

Will continue to follow your trip. Next time I am at Duguays in Amherst I will tell Kevin you made him famous by mentioning him when you started the trip.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #558
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Rioahacha

Hi Readers

I have been trying to update my ride report for a while now. I had internet in Cartagena but only sort of....Ther was some sort of limit on how many could get on the internet at once in that hostel. We had a lot of fun there. 17 bikes! I met all the people I had originally planned to sail on the Stahlratte with. ^ of us decided to ride East and go to Venezuela together. We rode to Riohacha last night and got going at 8am to the border, only to find out it is shut for election day, so we rode back. At least Mike, a Scottish rider and I rode back to here. We have decided to go south through Columbia and skip Venezuela. The other four stayed at a hotel nearer the border and will try again tomorrow. Our plan is to ride through the cool (it's actually very hot) little town of Honda Columbia on our way to Cali.

You will have to excuse me if I'm brief and telling things slightly out of order . Ther is always something to do when you are on the road, even on days off. I have to put my bike in the secure parking down the street and get some lunch and I've already made arrangements to get laundry done. Then a hotel guest from London England has asked us to join him for beers.

On the two and a half day ride up from Bogata to Cartagena I never had internet so I wrote some notes about those days and I'm just going to copy and paste them here with picture to follow as soon as I have a chance. ( So here are the note from three of four days ago on the ride to Cartagena

Bogata to Medellin

I started out fairly early for Cartagena from my hotel in Chia. Now that I had GPS mapping for Columbia I followed it. The Gps decided I needed to back track 15 kms toward Bogata. Not really what I wanted to hear because I worked so hard to get out of there the day before. I dutifully followed and it turns out the GPS was routing me toward Medellin. Great mountain riding, but there were lots of big trucks. I squeezed myself between two opposite direction ones at one point. Really close. You tend to pass in places you would never think of passing in Canada. No cop cares. You can blow by the cops at three times the speed limit passing on a yellow line around a blind curve and they wonít blink an eye.

I stooped to buy SOAT the mandatory insurance in the morning. It took about two hours and was expensive $180.00US. Expensive until you think of the possibility of going to a Colombian jail if you have an accident without it.
I tried to get money from a BancoColombia machine, the only one in the small town where I was, to pay for the policy and no way. BancoColombia wouldnít change my US money for me even at a cashier. Never saw a bank before that refuses US dollars .

In the end I convinced the insurers to accept US Dollars because that was all I had. They tried to get a pretty steep exchange rate but I bargained them down. They may have made a few extra dollars but now that Iím able to show the cops an obligatory insurance policy, itís all good.

After I paid my Soat fee I rode to Honda, Colombia and found another bank machine and was relieved to get some cash. The insurance charges left me near broke. Cajero at Banco Populaire work with my Scotiabank card. I asked at another bank for a Cjero other than BancoColombia and drew blank stares. A customer understood me and directed me to the Banco Populaire machine. Thank goodness! My Spanish is limited to a few words but Iím learning something everyday and I can usually make myself understood.

I rode until dark which brought me just south of Medellin. I stopped at a nice hotel and was I glad to see it. First one I had seen in over an hour. I passed several small towns that had nothing in the way iof hotels stores or anything else. This hotel, Hotel Cacique is about an hour south of Medellin and has a restaurant. Yay! I hadnít eaten all day. I thought the guy said 55,000 or about 27 bucks when I asked the rate, couldnít hear well thanks to trucks going by. Turns out the rate was only 25000 or about 12 bucks. Awesome deal for a private room in a nice hotel.
After I checked in and got cleaned up, I went to the Restaurant asked for a menu, they donít have one. This caused a lot of confusion for me and the waiter. I ran over and got my Spanish English book off the bike. I tried ordering a few things like Friojle and Pollo. Beans and chicken, from what I could figure. He asked me something about ďmortayĒ which I think means dead? I hope the chickenís dead! I had no clue what he was asking. Finally a customer sat next to me and was served a supper that looked good. I pointed at it and thatís what I got. It was good
When supper was over I saw a grasshopper like bug at least 6Ē long climbing the wall. When I took his picture he hopped around the restaurant, which was open air, and caused quite a stir. Even the locals took picture of him, he was huge!

Anyway I had a good supper, and a couple Pilsner Beer and itís all good. I continue toward Cartagena tomorrow. I gave the waiter a good tip for his trouble with me and he shook my hand when I left.

I had spoken with the nearby customer whose dish I ordered, about my bike, and trip and when I got up to go he wished me good luck. I find the Colombian people to be among the most kind yet. They are amazing. When I looked for a Cajero (bank machine)to get money to pay my Soat A young man there offered to lead the way on his bike, he waited for me to make sure I found my way back.

When I stopped to find a Cajero in Honda my bike drew a crowd. Amazing, questions about the Go-Pro about the bike about the trip, about heated hand grips, about GPS, all of which Iím getting better at answering. One guy even asked if he could sit on the bike to have his buddy take his picture. Sure! Man, he enjoyed that. He was on the vertically challenged and pulled something in his leg, getting on and his buddy cracked right up, but he still got the photo he wanted! Before long there were 5 or 6 guys looking the bike all over. Really nice people!!!

The bike is working fine except for an annoying squeak that I can fix when I get time. The rubber pucks that the fuel tank slides onto the frame with get dry and squeak. Iíve gotta take the tank off and grease them but I can wait until I stop in Cartagena

Medellin to Cartagena

I started out today Wednesday Dec 12 about 120kms south of Medellin, Columbia. The road to Medellin is very slow, twisty, high in the mountains and cold. Had to put my winter liner in and turn the heated grips on.
I finally came to the descent into Medellin. Wow, what a ride. A spectacular road down the side of a huge valley. With the city of red tile roofs looks like it is trying to climb the valley walls. I was nervous about heavy traffic but it wasnít that bad except for a few miles down a main street on the valley floor. The GPS wanted me to take an exit that was closed. While it was recalculating a way to Cartagena I was wheeling through traffic waiting for a suggestion as to where we were going, from the GPS.

It finally picked a route out of town, the exits came so fast and furious the GPS was a step behind the plan and I missed a turn, that through it for a loop and I waited in a Esso Station \|Parking lot while it made up its mind.

Finally we were out of town, and I rode several miles to a mountain apss which I missed at a rotary and that caused the GPS to send me on about a 20 mile loop of the valley floor. I though things looked strangely familiar.

Finally I was on the mountain pass> Iím not saying it was high, it was more than that. You could sell safety harnesses to mountain goats! What a road. At the very top there was a hang gliding school. Thatís a different king of Loco.

I rode and road and watched the GPS re-estimate my arrival in Cartagena from 3PM to after 7PM. The road is fantastic but plugged with trucks and busses. The scenery is absolutely awesome. I took a few pictures but you work hard to get by a group of trucks and I hated to stop and take pictures only to have to pass the same trucks again. There are no passing lanes, you just find your own way past. Not always easy. The first part of the pass is very smooth but after several miles gets really rough, or at least huge bumps and holes in several places.

I rode until dark and was still 175 kms short of Cartagena. I stopped at a roadside restaurant and ordered fish. Those that know me know I donít eat fish. I thought I ordered chicken. Guess the fish part was one of the dozen or so questions I was asked after I said Pollo (chicken) Oh well. I ate my rice and beans, and I think the waitress was insulted when I didnít touch the fish. Sorry but I canít eat a fish with his head on and eyes in OMG.

On the way here I was delayed by a horrible accident. I had just stopped for a break and drew an amazing crowd of onlookers, like 20 or so, one wanted to know arranger? I hadnít heard that one before so I looked it up. Rent? I laughed, the onlookers laughed and it was a great encounter.

Minutes later the traffic stopped. I was going to be pressed to make Cartagena by dark, so I wormed my way up to the front of the line. There were about 100 people in the road I thought it was a protest. (if youíre squeamish donít read this next bit) Then I saw the body, right in the middle of the road. I think the kid had been riding a small moto but Iím not sure. His head was smashed like a pumpkin and he was ground to hamburger laying there for all to see, including what appeared to be his devastated Dad. Holy fuck. What a shock. I feel so sorry for that poor Dad. I can only imagine how he is tonight. Terrible. No helmet, no gear and they drive those little bikes like crazy men on under engineered roads in heavy truck traffic. God bless that boy.

I am stopped short of Cartagena, havenít seen internet for days, so Iím typing this into word. Angele must be getting pretty worried about me by now. Priority one tomorrow when I get to Cartagena is to call home on Skype.
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #559
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Banged up but unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboulianne09 View Post
Steph made it on the CTV news;

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1078863

She looks pretty beat up but nothing broken and she's continuing her journey.
Thanks for sharing that. She does look a bit banged up but she is unstoppable. She emailed me to say she intends to go back to the scene of the accident and complete the last 20 miles of the ride!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #560
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Hi Dwight,

We are practically neighbours as I am in Moncton. I just found this thread last week and have been catching up on it ever since. Epic trip and thanks for the posting and pictures. Nice to recognize the names of some of the other inmates who are following your trip and posting as well. I really like your travel philosophy and honesty in sharing your emotions during the trip.

I am curious about your GPS and downloading of maps. Do you have them on your computer and are just talking about downloading them to your GPS or are you talking about going to some site, like Garmin, and purchasing/downloading from there?

Will continue to follow your trip. Next time I am at Duguays in Amherst I will tell Kevin you made him famous by mentioning him when you started the trip.

I purchased Garmin maps, downloaded them to the computer then to the GPS. I think I srewed up the transfer from the computer to the GPS when I did the Central American Maps. I realized my mistake later and it doesn't matter now that I'm in South America. The SA maps work fine.

I told the Guys at Duguays about my ride report and I think they are following along.

It is nice to have people from home follow along.

Angele had a few calls over the last couple days from readers wondering where I was.

It is much harder down here than it was in Central America to find a place with internet, so I will post when I can but it won't be as frequent as before.

It's all good. I'm going for lunch and beers and I'll try and post the pictures I have later

Kedgi
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #561
Kedgi OP
Banned

Lots of Pics from Colombia

The great guys in Honda, Colombia who liked my Moto so much.

On our way south Mike and I are going to pass through Honda again

Roadside Tienda

Supper south of Medellin I had such a hard time ordering. It was very good

Giant Grashopper

Pilsen

Nice Hotel south of Medellin

Colombian Mountains

The edge they jump off of in hang gliders. Yikes!

Another roadside tienda

Mountains (these picture cannot show you how awesome the mountains are)

Crowd attracted by my bike in a small village

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #562
Kedgi OP
Banned

More pictures

Jorge who's Mom owns the hotel were in in Riohacha

Taken on the beach in Riohacha

Motos at the hostel in Cartagena

RTWPaul's Tenere 660

Plates at the hostel

Czech couple I hope to meet again, maybe at New Years

Two up

Kawasaki 250 Sherpa an Australian girl has been riding for 6 years around the world. She has 174000 k on this bike with no trouble.

Another plate at the hostel

a Cartagena street decorated for Christmas

This barber cut my hair on the sidewalk....$5

Cartagena Church

Inmate signatures on Ryan's bike

Roadside lunch

At a roadside tienda this little guy was snoring so loud he kept waking himself up

Colombian Police bike...almost always ridden two up

Roadside gas near Venezuela (gas is so cheap in Venezuela ther are no stations in Colombia near the border

RTWPaul with the moneychangers at the border

Venezuela Border, a border too far

Alison, Dylan and Ryan

Mike had a little bike cut him off and he knocked the bike down. No one was hurt but a crowd gathered

A roadside tienda with typical blaring music

Mike who's in his 70's and still riding South America

Cops at the scene of the crash

Riohacha Beach

Hand made bags for sale

Sleeping in the heat

Now that you're up to date we're off to Santa Marta

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 01:21 PM
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #563
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,723
Is that Alison from Alison's Wanderland? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=828153&page=5

http://alisonswanderland.wordpress.com/2012-tdf/

Heard her speak on an online radio broadcast a couple weeks ago.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #564
Kedgi OP
Banned

Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Is that Alison from Alison's Wanderland? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=828153&page=5

http://alisonswanderland.wordpress.com/2012-tdf/

Heard her speak on an online radio broadcast a couple weeks ago.
That is the same Alison
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #565
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Page 1 Lobsters to

Hey Kedgi:
Hopped in from Juanito's Super Sherpa Sojourn. Enjoying his, looking forward to yours. IN
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #566
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Kedgi:
Hopped in from Juanito's Super Sherpa Sojourn. Enjoying his, looking forward to yours. IN
Welcome aboard

We just stopped for the day in a small town about 300kms south of Santa Marta called Curumani, I think. We got a decent room with A/C. Really hot here today. When we left Santa Marta around 9:30 it was already 32C By the time we got here, much further inland it must be 37 or 38. Very very warm.

Mike thinks he will ride to Ecuador with me. His Colombian visa is about to expire so he will spend a couple days in Ecuador then come back and renew his Colombian visa. He plans to take the Stahlrat to Cuba next month.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #567
Kedgi OP
Banned

Good Morning

Good Morning readers

I'm up early today, as always, and I thought I would take the time to write a little update.

I was excited yesterday to be finally moving South again. My trip north out of Bogata to Cartagena and the Caribbean Coast, to meet the people I was supposed to have sailed on the Stahlratte with was good, but the final objective is South.

I didn't take many pictures yesterday. We rode along two lane, smooth pavement just west of the end of the Andes. There are a lot of banana plantations and Date Palm plantations along the way and you are constantly in view of the mountains. The further inland we got the hotter it got. I would guess 37 or 38C by 3PM when we stopped in Curumani.

Curumani is a small town that the highway 45 runs through. There is a steady stream of big trucks headed to and from the ports of Santa Marta and Baranquilla, added to that is a huge number of big highway coaches running to and from the beaches of the Caribbean Coast.

I had a decent meal last night. pan fried chicken breast and french fries, but eating has been tough for me. I have lost between ten and fifteen pounds on this trip. I cannot consistently find food I like to eat. I am someone who just eats plain stuff like hamburger and boiled potato at home and at 55 years of age I'm not likely to change. I never was and never will be a very adventurous eater. The last two days I have been having stomach issues and the heat is just knocking the hell out of me. It is smoking hot.

After we ate, Mike and I went for a beer at a pool hall by the road. There are probably about 20, semi outdoor pool halls in this little town. They have a roof over the tables but are open to the air when their steel security shutters are rolled up. I couldn't take the noise. South America is noisy. Virtually every restaurant and bar has music, not just loud music but blaring music, combine that with the trucks and buses and insistent horn blowing which is a trade mark of South American driving and I came home early and went to bed. I had hoped I would be feeling better this morning with some rest but not so. I have taken some medication I have, we'll see if that works. I have some really powerful stuff the Doctor at home gave me and it may be time to dip into that.

We plan to do three hundred kms today, so we can get to Honda in two days. It is a 600km drive from here. Then we plan to take a couple days off and rest. My bike has some minor issues I need to address. The fuel tank is squeaking. I know why. There are two rubber pucks that the tanks slips onto that hold it to the frame. They dry out and squeak. The only remedy I know is to take the tank off, lube the pucks and replace the tank. A pain in the ass for a squeak but it will drive you nuts on rough pavement. I tried spraying in there with chain lube, but you can't reach it.

The bike is going to need an oil change soon. It hasn't had one since McAllen, TX.

I have to make arrangements to get tires down the road. That should be the last set I'll need this trip. My tourances are wonderful and are wearing well inspite of mountain roads and extreme heat.

I need to address a signal light issue. My rear left signal seems to have burnt out an L.E.D. (It comes on but only one half illuminates and it's not very bright) They are after market lights, smaller than the stock lights and were needed to accommodate my panniers. I looked in a repair shop right next to the hotel last night and they have dozens of lights so I don't think it will be an issue getting it fixed in Honda when I have some time. No one uses signal lights here anyway, and if they do it can mean anything. I found out yesterday when following a bus that fourway flashers on a bus can mean, (I'm going to come to a screeching halt and make a hard left turn into the gravel, out of the fast lane on this new fourlane highway)

As i write this the heavy commercial traffic is constant past this hotel at 6:15am hardly a break at all. We turn off this major road soon this morning and are hoping for lighter traffic.

Thanks for following along

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 03:38 AM
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #568
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,218
I've been following along from the start... Good report with lots of pics. Thank you.
Steph getting a brief time on CTV should help her efforts at Little Corn. I'll PP her after the 1st as funds are tight ATM.

In my travels of the 11 Western States and using cheap, noisy hotels, sleeping with ear plugs seemed to help.

?The gal riding the Super Sherpa RTW. I searched for a blog or RR but found none. ?Can you offer one. Thanks for a yes or no.

(look at the counter shaft sprocket)
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #569
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
The gal riding the Super Sherpa RTW. I searched for a blog or RR but found none. ?Can you offer one. Thanks for a yes or no.
This one? She's a he.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #570
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Kedgi:

hope you get your stomach problem sorted out. I also have a sensitive stomach so I'm not adventurous either. I like to stick to normal, boring food. I get anxious when traveling about finding "facilities"

as for your heat, enjoy it now and think of us driving around in the snow with freezing temperatures. We could use a few more degrees, send some up our way when you get a chance

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote