Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #571
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post

Not to jack the RR but is is a woman from OZ, 6 years RTW with 100k miles on the Sherpa.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #572
DaytonaMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Dwight, Glad to see you are in Colombia and keeping at it. I know how you feel with the stomach issues. I am sure most travelers do. A few tips I learned the hard way here. Try to avoid the fried foods if you can. I cut them way back, well as much as you can in a country that prides itself on deep frying EVERYTHING! Ask for Papa Salada in Colombia, Its just plain boiled potatoes with the skins on and some salt (just like home). Most places should serve them. As I am sure you know try to avoid the fresh fruit juices since most are prepared with water and you never know the source. Same with drinks with ice (if you can find ice here) try to avoid it. Be careful of the caffeine in soft drinks it can cause some stomach issues too. Ask for Sprite or H20 (pronounced aahhh chey dos ohhhh) its a diet sprite type soda and I have found most places have it too. Also you can go to just about ANY pharmacy and explain your issues in your best broken spanish/sign language/ communication method. Most can give you a shot on the spot (in there little back room) for just a few bucks to fix you right up. No prescription needed. There are tons of bakeries where you should be able to get some tasty BAKED breads. Pan Salchicha is a hot dog baked in bread (pigs in a blanket) or Roscones is a sweet baked bread ring with guava paste. The guava paste is sweet and tastes like a jam or jelly. Really tasty and filling. Also ask for Dedo de Queso (fingers of cheese) they are baked cheese bread sticks. I have found that at most bakeries these few things are a staple so hopefully they are in your area as well. Best of all they are baked and not fried. For meats try pechuga ala plancha, its a grilled chicken breast. Or an ala plancha meat should be grilled and not fried cutting down on some of your grease intake. I hate to say it because I love them but stay away from empanadas for a while. You never know how well they were prepared/handled while raw or how well or thoroughly they were cooked. Colombians are the best people in the world but food handling safety is just not something they think about (at least in my opinion and from what I have seen) They have rock hard intestines and never seem to have issues so I am sure they are not beat about the head and body with the wash this, clean that mentality like I was in the US. Sorry to be so long winded but I know how stomach issues can bring you down quick and I hate to see that happen on such an epic journey. Take care and ride safe. If there is anything I can do to help please dont hesitate to ask.
DaytonaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #573
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 822
Excellent intel

DaytonaMike that is a great post. Valuable intel that could also be posted in the Latin America trip planning forum.
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #574
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 323
Hey Kedgi
Finally caught up with your RR, what a great RR and love to hear how things work or not sometimes, it is those things that don’t work that makes it so interesting later on when you can look back and laugh about it. Hope to do this ride in the near future and will use all the great advice coming from the inmates including the ones you’re going through.
Stay strong, soak it all up and enjoy it as much as you can.
Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #575
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
No not that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Not to jack the RR but is is a woman from OZ, 6 years RTW with 100k miles on the Sherpa.
No not that one. I know JD

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #576
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
Dwight, Glad to see you are in Colombia and keeping at it. I know how you feel with the stomach issues. I am sure most travelers do. A few tips I learned the hard way here. Try to avoid the fried foods if you can. I cut them way back, well as much as you can in a country that prides itself on deep frying EVERYTHING! Ask for Papa Salada in Colombia, Its just plain boiled potatoes with the skins on and some salt (just like home). Most places should serve them. As I am sure you know try to avoid the fresh fruit juices since most are prepared with water and you never know the source. Same with drinks with ice (if you can find ice here) try to avoid it. Be careful of the caffeine in soft drinks it can cause some stomach issues too. Ask for Sprite or H20 (pronounced aahhh chey dos ohhhh) its a diet sprite type soda and I have found most places have it too. Also you can go to just about ANY pharmacy and explain your issues in your best broken spanish/sign language/ communication method. Most can give you a shot on the spot (in there little back room) for just a few bucks to fix you right up. No prescription needed. There are tons of bakeries where you should be able to get some tasty BAKED breads. Pan Salchicha is a hot dog baked in bread (pigs in a blanket) or Roscones is a sweet baked bread ring with guava paste. The guava paste is sweet and tastes like a jam or jelly. Really tasty and filling. Also ask for Dedo de Queso (fingers of cheese) they are baked cheese bread sticks. I have found that at most bakeries these few things are a staple so hopefully they are in your area as well. Best of all they are baked and not fried. For meats try pechuga ala plancha, its a grilled chicken breast. Or an ala plancha meat should be grilled and not fried cutting down on some of your grease intake. I hate to say it because I love them but stay away from empanadas for a while. You never know how well they were prepared/handled while raw or how well or thoroughly they were cooked. Colombians are the best people in the world but food handling safety is just not something they think about (at least in my opinion and from what I have seen) They have rock hard intestines and never seem to have issues so I am sure they are not beat about the head and body with the wash this, clean that mentality like I was in the US. Sorry to be so long winded but I know how stomach issues can bring you down quick and I hate to see that happen on such an epic journey. Take care and ride safe. If there is anything I can do to help please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks Mike. Thats a great post. I had some of those cheese sticks and a wonderful Colombian coffee this morning. The cheese sticks were good. I just learned about pechuga a la plancha they other day, from Mike. I love it. I can eat pan fried white chicken every day if I have to. I'm feeling better today after taking some of the meds my Dr prescribed.

I went to suuper tonight and had a fried egg, some french fries and a piece of beef or maybe pork? It was cooked so much and smothered in a tomato sauce and onions I could not tell. Not that appealling! and our meals combined came to 41000 pesos or about $20.00 Really expensive for here. We think price are inflated for Christmas in Honda, which is a holiday town. Our room was expensive too. It's nice but it should be for $40/night

Last night we stayed in a real flea bagger complete with roaches for $16/night. Great little town Not a great hotel. I'll post more on that later. I have some pictures I'll post tomorrow.

Thanks again and thanks for reading

Dwight
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #577
Kedgi OP
Banned

Zypherhills Florida

I just want to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my readers and a special hello to all of you in Zypherhills Florida, Thanks for following along!

Mike says hello and Happy New Year to all of you too. He's in his 70's and this is his 6th motorcycle trip to South America.

Dwight

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 07:44 PM
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #578
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 159
Merry Christmas Kedgi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Kedgi! Christmas is around the corner and the Great Lakes region is about to get "whitened". As a professed hater of winter, I know you are feelin' the pain for us all. Merry Christmas! I appreciate the effort you put forth in documenting your travels. Look forward to you pitchin a tent at " the lodge". We've had a few ADV'ers thru and we pride ourselves on knowing a thing or two about hospitality.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #579
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Hey Kedgi
Finally caught up with your RR, what a great RR and love to hear how things work or not sometimes, it is those things that don’t work that makes it so interesting later on when you can look back and laugh about it. Hope to do this ride in the near future and will use all the great advice coming from the inmates including the ones you’re going through.
Stay strong, soak it all up and enjoy it as much as you can.
Jeff

Things don't always work they way you'd hoped.....for sure! I try and remember that it will make a good story at a later date. I'm really glad you're reading. I will answer any questions you have if I can.

Tomorow my first priority is to get the maintenance done on the bike but then i will post the pictures I have from the last couple days and write a little more on my thoughts on riding and being in Colombia

Mike and I wandered around town tonight and saw some cool stuff I will take some pictures of tomorrow. As always in Colombia we have been treated very well. I met a very senior lady tonight who walked up to us and said "Do you guys speak English?"

I said "yes we do."

She told me her daughter lives between Montpelier Vermont and Montreal. I told her I live a 10 hour drive East of her daughter. Then I said I rode my moto down here. She said "You're a crazy person." and walked away. hahaha Not what I expected but cool.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #580
Kedgi OP
Banned

OZ Sherpa

Quote:
I've been following along from the start... Good report with lots of pics. Thank you.
Steph getting a brief time on CTV should help her efforts at Little Corn. I'll PP her after the 1st as funds are tight ATM.

In my travels of the 11 Western States and using cheap, noisy hotels, sleeping with ear plugs seemed to help.

?The gal riding the Super Sherpa RTW. I searched for a blog or RR but found none. ?Can you offer one. Thanks for a yes or no.

(look at the counter shaft sprocket)
The couple from OZ (she was on a Sherpa and he was on an older small BMW) don't post as far as I know. They sent me an email just to acknowledge our meeting and I offered them a bed in NB. I heard him talking to other riders and he is NOT into blogs forums Smart Phones etc. They are just out riding. Their choice and that's good.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #581
Kedgi OP
Banned

Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Hey Kedgi! Christmas is around the corner and the Great Lakes region is about to get "whitened". As a professed hater of winter, I know you are feelin' the pain for us all. Merry Christmas! I appreciate the effort you put forth in documenting your travels. Look forward to you pitchin a tent at " the lodge". We've had a few ADV'ers thru and we pride ourselves on knowing a thing or two about hospitality.
Cool!

Merry Christmas!

A Great Lakes ride is rattling around in my head. I hope it happens.

Nice offer! Thanks

Dwight
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #582
Kedgi OP
Banned

Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Kedgi:

hope you get your stomach problem sorted out. I also have a sensitive stomach so I'm not adventurous either. I like to stick to normal, boring food. I get anxious when traveling about finding "facilities"

as for your heat, enjoy it now and think of us driving around in the snow with freezing temperatures. We could use a few more degrees, send some up our way when you get a chance

bob
I hate to complain about heat. I know the pain of a Canadian Winter all too well, but Lord Dyin' Jesus it was HOT here today. You could have fried an egg on my bike seat. I know, I fried something else! Easily 40C
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #583
Kedgi OP
Banned

Steph

Quote:
I've been following along from the start... Good report with lots of pics. Thank you.
Steph getting a brief time on CTV should help her efforts at Little Corn. I'll PP her after the 1st as funds are tight ATM.

In my travels of the 11 Western States and using cheap, noisy hotels, sleeping with ear plugs seemed to help.

?The gal riding the Super Sherpa RTW. I searched for a blog or RR but found none. ?Can you offer one. Thanks for a yes or no.

(look at the counter shaft sprocket)
Lets not forget Steph and the Spirit of Giving this Crhistmas. She is very close to her $7000 goal

You can donate to Steph's cause here.

http://stephgoescyclingforacause.blogspot.com/

Check out the pictures of how bad she was hurt, and she still wants to finish the ride. This is one driven and determined young lady. Help her out if you can. Even if it's only a dollar or two. You will be helping a wonderful girl help people who really need help in Nicaragua
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #584
Kedgi OP
Banned

Santa Marta to Honda, Colombia

Here are a few pictures I've taken on the ride from Santa Marta to Honda.

Oh also, I remembered to take a photo of the hotel we stayed in in Riohacha. This is where the six of us styed on the ride to Venezuela and Mike and I returned to after we were refused entry because of the elections

We left the next day for Santa Marta. It is a booming Port town and Tourist town,. Lots of new construction, cruise ships and a very busy port.

Our first hotel on the way down to Honda.

Mike found this huge moth in the room. He was as wide as my faceshield

The second night we stayed in this hotel. Not one of our best but sometimes in the more remote areas you take what you can get.

The lady that ran it was nice and she tried her best to communicate with us. I showed her some of my pictures. She and her neighbor both loved the pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains

I never got her name

A typical roadside meal

Those white things are not potatoes. Served cold, not very appealing

At a roadside stop for gas we met a young, Colombian couple that had this beautiful Willys Jeep. Not sure if it's restored or a replica but it was spotless.

It is true that Colombian girls are beautiful and this girl was no exception. She was very proud of the Jeep, and rightly so, and suggested she use my camera to take my picture with it.

Yesterday at a stop just before Honda I saw this guy at a roadside restaurant

Along the road

I have read a lot of ride reports and I have never heard anyone mention the incredible volume of truck traffic on Colombian roads. It is hard to describe how busy thne roads are. We came to a line up of trucks yesterday waiting to get through a small construction project. Just a spot where they were putting in a new culvert or something. The trucks had to swing through about a 500 foot detour. The back up in traffic was at least ten miles long in each direction. Absolutely insane! Mike and I snuck down the shoulder, then we would meet cars blocking the shoulder that had parked on it to be in the shade of the truck in front, so we would ride up the left shoulder in the blistering heat and we finally got to the front of the line up, crossed the little detour and were shocked to ride by thousands of opposite direction trucks stung out for miles and miles waiting their turn

When you ride Colombian highways you overtake trucks, all day long. I came face to face with a opposite direction big truck, who was passing another big truck over a blind hill. I had to take the shoulder and that was about a 4" drop below the road surface at 90kph but it was either that or hit the truck. Mike was behind me and had time to give the idiot an ADVrider salute, I didn't

I haven't heard anyone comment on the noise in Colombian towns. They seem to love not loud but absolutely blaring music. It is everywhere. It is next to impossible to find a quiet spot. You ride in the noise, then stop for a break and there is music blasting so loud you can't think and then ride in the noise and then get to the hotel and there is music blasting from the bar or restaurant across the street or the bar and restaurant across the street. It can be tiring. Different from home and that's why you travel, to see something different.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #585
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 442
Merry Christmas from Nova Scotia Dwight. I'm not sure how Christmas like it feels in 40 degree heat, but I hope you have a great time.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote