Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #586
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Hey From PCB

Hey Kedg,
Still enjoying your RR. Wish I had a bit of your heat up here. A lovely 36 and clear here today after some real scary thunderstorms. Leaving any day now for Arizona. Great to see you found a riding buddy.
Toad
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #587
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post

Those white things are not potatoes. Served cold, not very appealing

I'm guessing it was boiled yuca. Not very tasty as you discovered. However, if you're able to find yuca FRIES, then definitely give it a try! One of my favorites now.

I think you mentioned that Mike has done several trips to SA - was he using his GS for all those? I have the same bike he has and I'm planning to do a SA trip possibly next year, but after reading your RR along with a few others (JDowns, Ulyses), I was starting to debate about either taking the big bore, or getting a smaller bike (400-650). I can see pros and cons for both. How would you rate your Trusty so far in terms or size, weight, power, etc.? Have you ever thought that maybe a smaller or bigger bike would be better for this trip? Would be interesting to also get Mike's comments on his GS if possible.

Ride safe, and thanks for taking the time to share your adventure. Reading your RR has become part of my daily morning routine now. :-)
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #588
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
The couple from OZ (she was on a Sherpa and he was on an older small BMW) don't post as far as I know. They sent me an email just to acknowledge our meeting and I offered them a bed in NB. I heard him talking to other riders and he is NOT into blogs forums Smart Phones etc. They are just out riding. Their choice and that's good.
Thanks for that info and I can understand unplugging.
I did PP Steph 25$ and will read her true minimalist blog.

I will continue following your RR... It is a good'un.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #589
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Hey Kedg,
Still enjoying your RR. Wish I had a bit of your heat up here. A lovely 36 and clear here today after some real scary thunderstorms. Leaving any day now for Arizona. Great to see you found a riding buddy.
Toad

Yikes! That's chilly!

Have a safe ride. I went for a walk around town this morning to take some pictures and by 8:30 it was already blazing hot.

I have decided not to do bike maintenance in this heat. It can wait until Cali, where I've made some arrangement to get tires.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #590
Kedgi OP
Banned

Honda Pictures

I went for a walk around Honda to take some pictures this morning before it got too hot.

This is the bridge at Honda looking south. It is rare that it's not loaded with traffic. This bridge leads to the mountain road to Bogata, it's the road I came north on last week after flying to South America.

A Honda Street, taken from the bridge

The powerful Magdelena River

Fishing from a wood canoe

This is what you see as you ride into Honda from Bogata

Or to be accurate your view is more like this

Honda houses

The turn off to Honda Centro

Another river that cuts through town and flows into the Magdelena.

Downtown

Cab

Loaded with bananas

The market

Taking limes to market

The tributary again.

Honda Main Street

Our hotel

Our hotel has a pool, a luxury on this trip. I am going to make use of it today!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #591
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
What's wrong with Mikes exhaust system? Looks like he parks it in the ocean at night.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #592
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
I'm guessing it was boiled yuca. Not very tasty as you discovered. However, if you're able to find yuca FRIES, then definitely give it a try! One of my favorites now.

I think you mentioned that Mike has done several trips to SA - was he using his GS for all those? I have the same bike he has and I'm planning to do a SA trip possibly next year, but after reading your RR along with a few others (JDowns, Ulyses), I was starting to debate about either taking the big bore, or getting a smaller bike (400-650). I can see pros and cons for both. How would you rate your Trusty so far in terms or size, weight, power, etc.? Have you ever thought that maybe a smaller or bigger bike would be better for this trip? Would be interesting to also get Mike's comments on his GS if possible.

Ride safe, and thanks for taking the time to share your adventure. Reading your RR has become part of my daily morning routine now. :-)
Mike has had his 1200 GS since 2004, (I think) and has used it here in SA before. He sticks to pavement. He likes it just fine. It has the guts to pass some places my KLR doesn't

I thought a few times I would like to have more horsepower to pass with, but at other times a smaller bike (read much lighter) would be good too. Especially on route 190 in Mexico south of Oaxaca. Overall I think the KLR is well suited to the trip.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #593
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
What's wrong with Mikes exhaust system? Looks like he parks it in the ocean at night.
Probably just that it's been well used. He's been to South America 6 times.

Kedgi
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #594
Kedgi OP
Banned

Donation to Steph's cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Thanks for that info and I can understand unplugging.
I did PP Steph 25$ and will read her true minimalist blog.

I will continue following your RR... It is a good'un.

Thanks Pete

That money will go to very good use.

Steph will really appreciate your donation!

Dwight
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #595
Kedgi OP
Banned

Motos

A lot of readers are wondering about the ideal bike for a trip like this. I don't think there is any such animal. I like my KLR. It does every thing fairly well, it was inexpensive compared to a big BMW and I have put 40,000 kms on it in a little over a year. I find it to be very comfortable especially since I added the Sargeant seat. There were times that I wished I had a 1000 ninja to pass a truck going up the mountains, there were times I wished I was on a lightly loaded 250 Sherpa al la John Downs. Overall though, the KLR is a good bike for me.

I sure liked the look of RTWPaul's Tenere 660. That's a beautiful bike but Yamaha has decided not to sell it in Canada or the USA. Heaven knows why, but I think Paul said it was an emissions thing, but I'm not certain.

I would like to have a new Super Tenere 1100 or a GS to take Angele with me on long road trips to Florida, Zipolite Beach, Mexico etc. I think those would both be wonderful long distance, two up, machines

Mike at Motolombia in Cali told me he rents KLR's out. He has 6 of them. To my mind that says a lot about the reliability and cost effectiveness of KLR's Where else can you by a brand new bike for under $7000 or under $6000 in the USA and ride it anywhere. Mine has brought me to Labrador twice, to Key West and now from the Maritimes to Colombia with only minor issues, survived one high speed crash, thank to a front tire blowout, and just keeps on ticking

When I decide this adventure is done, hopefully in a couple months, safely in Argentina I intend to ship the KLR to Miami, ride it home and will likely hang it up in my garage. How could I sell a bike that has done so much for me?

When I have the money, I will think about a bigger bike Angele and I can ride two up, just for a change of pace and for her wonderful companionship. In fact we sort of have that bike now but it's in the form of our BMW Z4

Mike just passed through the lobby, he says he has been to SA three, not six times but has made effectively 6 trips up and down, two where he went Canada to South Tip or South tip to Canada and back and a shorter one Parguay to Mexico and now this one where he is riding to Canada. He has also down two African adevntures on the bike and has over 100,000 miles on it. He bought it new in 2004 He says it is getting too heavy for him now that he's in his 70's. He claims the 1150's have a lower center of gravity and he wishes he had one of them. But he also agrees there is no ideal bike for down here. The northern highway in Guatemala I wished I had a sportbike. The cratered roads in Honduras I wished I had a quad. It just depends on where you are, but the KLR has done it all.

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:32 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #596
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Hey Dwight...good to meet you on the road....gonna follow along and see where we might intersect again!

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #597
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hi Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletron View Post
Hey Dwight...good to meet you on the road....gonna follow along and see where we might intersect again!
I'm so glad I headed north out of Bogata to meet you and all the Stalhrats. It was excellent. Please do follow along. Mike and I are heading toward Cali tomorrow. Today is a no Moto day in Honda. I went for a swim in the pool. Yes we have a luxurious pool at our hotel. It is smoking hot here in Honda like near 40C or 100 degrees

I took RTWPaul's recommendation and contacted Mike at Motolombia about tires. He is working on getting me some. After i get that sorted I am looking forward to Ecuador for New Years. I'm thinking you will likely catch up to me while I sort out the tire thing. Mike is just going to Ecuador for a day or two and then turning north again, he's heading to Cuba.

I will be solo again and it would be nice if we rode together and shared company and costs.

Keep in touch

Dwight

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:26 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #598
Kedgi OP
Banned

Honda

We had a restful day yesterday in Honda, Colombia and this morning we head towards Cali.

I still am waiting to find out about tires. My timing is bad with Christmas coming. I hope I can get down there and find a set and not be stuck while everything is closed.

If I have to I can make Quito on the tires I have, time will tell.

It's all good

I'll be surprised if I have internet access tonight. If I do I'll check back in

Kedgi
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #599
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
We had a restful day yesterday in Honda, Colombia and this morning we head towards Cali.

I still am waiting to find out about tires. My timing is bad with Christmas coming. I hope I can get down there and find a set and not be stuck while everything is closed.

If I have to I can make Quito on the tires I have, time will tell.

It's all good

I'll be surprised if I have internet access tonight. If I do I'll check back in

Kedgi
have fun in Cali, Alison is heading out today and coming your way...if you don't get another connection in the next few days just wanted to say great to meet you finally and have a great christmas on the road
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #600
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 340
Only on page 27

Kedgi,
Only caught up as far as Zipolite, but love this RR. Good reading as the snow flies here in the mitten (Michigan). Zipolite added to bucket list.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote