Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #736
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
Congratz on getting to Peru. I have really been enjoying the report. Thinking maybe one day I will make the trip my self.
I highly recommend this trip. For me the toughest part was the Central American borders. Once you are in South America a border every couple weeks or so isn't that bad and the riding is exceptional.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #737
Kedgi OP
Banned

Video of Riding Piura, Peru

Here is a link to a video of riding through Piura Peru. Not as bad as Oaxaca Mx but it still keeps you on your toes.

Just click on the link below to watch. If you're not a rider, would you get on the back seat?

It would help to have eyes in the back of your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNHnb...=youtube_gdata

Kedgi
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #738
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Here is a link to a video of riding through Piura Peru. Not as bad as Oaxaca Mx but it still keeps you on your toes.

Just click on the link below to watch. If you're not a rider, would you get on the back seat?

Kedgi

Wow and I thought things were crazy over here.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #739
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,692
Wow. I guess you get used to it. But still......
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #740
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post

Kedgi
They sure like to use their horns, don't they?
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #741
Kedgi OP
Banned

Piura

Quote:
And Piura and is just a small city. I think I have some film I shot in Oxaca, MX I'll look for it and try and post it.

Kedgi
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #742
Kedgi OP
Banned

Used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSA View Post
Wow. I guess you get used to it. But still......
You do kind of get used to the way they drive. John Downs described it well in his report, he called it a fluid style of driving. They are like a fluid, the sneak into every hole. The little motos in a big city like Cali are a pain in the butt. They are always squeezing by you. Not always good on a heavy adventure bike that can be hard to start off in a perfectly straight line. The little bikes never see adventure bikes so they don't know that. Just when you are wobbling away to a start, three or four of them will whip by you on either side. You just have to be very careful. You have to keep an eye on your mirrors all the time.

Kedgi
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #743
Kedgi OP
Banned

NA vs SA

Quote:
Driving in North America is much more predictable than driving down here. Big cities like Oxaca, Cali, Cartagena, Medellin can be real crazy. Cali really sticks out in my mind. I hear Lima is a nightmare and I have that to look forward to.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #744
Kedgi OP
Banned

Huanchacho, Peru

I am in Huanchaco Peru this evening. A very nice beach town. I have a nice room, across the street from the beach. I stopped today in Chan Chan and visited the ruins there.

I took a few pictures and I'll post them later. The ride here was mostly across desert. Some incredibly stark landscape. I met some very nice people along the way, when i stopped to get gas and to take a break in the shade.

I can't say enough about Peru's people. Incredibly friendly. When I drove the first 150k down from the border people were waving to me and blowing their horns and all excited to see an adventure bike in Peru. Maybe they thought I was part of the Dakar Rally.

Kedgi
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #745
Kedgi OP
Banned

Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
They sure like to use their horns, don't they?
They sure do. The horn blowing is constant. Rarely in anger. It is just a toot to say "I'm here" I find myself doing it now to make people know for sure that I am passing or beside them
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #746
Kedgi OP
Banned

Bus

Bus

I had an opposite direction bus force me onto the shoulder today. It has happened several times this trip. Today's incident was just blatent. He saw me coming and passed the bus he was following anyway. I had no where to go but get off the road. Bigger is always right down here. he had miles of empty desert and light traffic to pass in but he had to pass when I was in his way in spite of that.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #747
Kedgi OP
Banned

Go Seahawks

I am very happy to report that I will be taking tomorrow off to watch the Seahawks game. I looked all around town this afternoon for a place that was showing Football Americano. No such luck. I have a TV in my room so I checked that and it is on the Spanish Language ESPN.

I had a frustrating morning this morning. My computer was acting up again or so I thought. I worried about finding a fix for that all day and then surprise surprise it worked fine when I checked into the hostal here. It must have been a problem with the internet at the hotel in Pimentel. It had all the same symptoms as before. "DNS SERVER NOT RESPONDING" wapita!

I tried and tried to connect to the internet with no luck. I tried resetting the DNS server as I had a few days ago, no luck. Could not connect. Rats!

Then to top it all off I could not find my sun glasses. I don't know where they went but they're gone. They were cheap, safety glasses but I loved them, they really shed the wind and you don't have to drive with your shield down in the heat. I found a new pair in Chan Chan, not as good but they will do.

I have found out that when a day starts like that it usually means something good is about to happen. It balances out. So today I met some really nice people, found a good hostal with secure parking easily, and I have football in my room. It's all good.

I'm off to watch the sun set!

More tomorrow

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 07:06 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #748
Kedgi OP
Banned

Broncos/Ravens game

I just happened to find a place tonight that was showing the Broncos vs Ravens Game. Exciting football! Overtime!

I stepped out to the curb during a commercial, to get away from the pounding music in the bar, and kept a sharp eye on my table, that was right in front of the TV. I saw two young guys who had been sitting behind me and playing a Peruvian version of Jenga, and singing to the music, eyeing me the whole time I was on the street.

When I went back in, the game was gone, there was a soccer game on. I asked the waitress if she could put the football Americano back on. She did and I gave her a good tip. The two amigos who had got the channel changed said to her, "I thought he left" They had no more interest in the soccer than anything. They were just being jerks. I got to see the end of a close game. Score one for the old Gringo!

I hope the waitress remembers me tomorrow at 1 eastern when the Seahawks play. I'll take the bar's 32" over my room's 13" TV anytime.

During the overtime I was joined by Henry from Minnesota who is down here teaching English for the Winter, he used to live in Seattle and is a Seahwaks fan too. He plans to join me tomorrow to watch the game. Cool!

Go Seahawks

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:01 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #749
Kedgi OP
Banned

Pictures from Northern Peru

I am sitting here on the deck at my Hostal, uploading pictures to show you and while I wait I'm watching thousands of Pelicans fly down the crests of the waves like strings of commuters going to work. They come in groups of about 100 birds at an altitude of about 6 inches, skimming the crests of the waves. Amazing sight.

Here are some pictures of Northern Peru

The view from my room in Pementel

Traditional boat

Our $20 rooms were in the large hotel on the right

January in Peru

I tried this dark Peruvian beer. Too sweet for my taste, but worth a try

Luis, who owned the little bar I went to. It was fun to watch him work his magic on passing potential customers.

I had breakfast a a nearby restaurant, the next morning and this Peruvian cutie was trying to get my phone number, I think

When I left Pimentel yesterday the ride covered miles and miles of desert. I stopped for a Coke and a break in the shade and had a great time talking to these three amigoes. They were wonderful guys. Really curious about my trip, my bike, my age, my home, everything. I can't help but wonder what it is they do, way out in the desert.

I bought gas in Chiclayo and this girl was so excited I had driven my bike from Canada it was really flattering. Then she saw I had a movie camera on my helmet and said I should make a movie of her. I told her I wanted her picture and she was more than happy to pose for a shot. She had personality plus!

Somewhere along the way I saw this group of trees just loaded with birds, some kind of small crane. There were thousands of them.

The Northern Peruvian landscape

It's a long lonely road

I stopped at a second Tienda for a second coke and a break in the shade and saw this cool guy relaxing

I had about ten men ask me dozens of questions there too and they all made a point of welcoming me to Peru. It is amazing how people flock to you when you stop. I should have got them all together for a group photo but I settled for my photo with this little guy who couldn't believe I offered to let him sit on my bike.

I stopped to see the ancient ruins at Chan Chan. This is what the Spanish must have seen when they first approached the place. Seven meter high walls.

Chan Chan was pretty cool. The people that lived there for 600 years up until the 1500's were farmers. They devised a system of canals to bring water down from the mountains into the valley to grow their crops. The place was huge. It covered 18 sq miles. A portion of it has been excavated and restored. There is much more to do.

Here is a look around.

This guy was cool.....more on him later. I shot this photo as he was giving a talk, in Spanish to other tourists

Since I don't understand the demonstration I walk past and take some photos

This guy was called "The Guard"

The walls all had amazing detail like this

You can see they have covered the restored sections to protect them. I'm sure it's necessary but it makes it difficult to get a few good photos.

So after walking the self guided tour which makes a big loop and taking all these photos I find myself back, face to face with the Chieftain guy. Now there is just me and him. He says, in English and I quote, "Hey Dude, where the f*** you riding from?" You could have knocked me over with a feather. We had a great chat about bikes, rides, car trips, travel, for about ten minutes. He was awesome and wished me well, and good luck on my trip.

I never imagined I would be discussing my ride with a Peruvian Chieftain who's society has been gone for over 700 years.

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 05:41 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #750
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Huanchaco, Peru Pictures

I had a good night in Huanchaco. It was amazing to be able to watch NFL in Peru. I shot these photos to show you around this very nice little town

My Hostal

A parking mishap? Actually i couldn't imagine what had happened and then i realized these cars were in front of the police station and had likely been towed here to be impounded.

Surf's Up

Surfer in the distance

Northern end of the beach

This guy was being fed a treat of some little fish

Sunset

Kedgi