ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #871
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,328
great pics, what a relief that ride must have been...
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #872
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
great pics, what a relief that ride must have been...
It was nice to get going again and ride an interesting road. I found at first i was a little wobbly in the very tight stuff, I attribute it to sleep deprivation, Nazca style, and a week or more of riding without going around a bend, but by the time I was across the top of the pass and riding the valleys I was having a blast.

I even laughed when that Murphy's Law guy took over. I rode beautiful pavement all day and I knew in order to make Cusco I would have to ride an hour or so in the dark. Just as it got dark, I ran into unmarked construction, piles of sand left in my lane, lots of animals, goats, cows, pigs sheep, two dogs that chased me. Haha it never fails. If you ride in the dark you're asking for trouble. I had thought about stopping in Abancay (I think I have the name right) 180kms short of Cusco but it was not a very appealing place and I pushed on. It is a good thing I got the guys at Motoperfomance Plus in Lima to re-aim my headlight or would have had to stop short of Cusco.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #873
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Breakfast

I walked over to Paddy's again. They are still not open and I was hungry. I saw a picture of bacon eggs and toast in a restaurant window. It looked good and that's what i ordered. i ended up getting eggs, they did a good job on, ham, and rolls but it was OK. I was hungry and it was edible. Cusco's pricey though that was about $8.00. That really high by Peruvian standards. I'll check out paddy's later today.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #874
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Banana Republic of Black Gold
Oddometer: 1,149
Glad to see you got to a place where you can rest from the road for a few days and also relax.

While the road can sometimes be hard or unpleasant, like John said: if the bad days outnumber the good days, then there is something wrong in the equation...

Not managing to communicate is tough, there are some people that might be more outgoing than others and might manage to get their way through without speaking a language, but its not the case for everyone and can be a major handicap if one is a shy person (not implying you are one or the other as I do not know you except from this RR)... I suggest you take your time whenever internet access allows and plan your route. I don't mean only the road you are taking, but also the places you'd like to sleep and eat in. There have been plenty of riders before you who've posted their impressions on a given road (is it too long for one day? is it too hot? too many crooked cops? etc) on a good attraction and on good (or bad) places to eat and sleep. The big picture changes entirely if you know you are enduring an awful road (because that's the only way there is to the place you want to go) but there is a nice hostel with secure parking and a thick steak at the end of the day waiting for you.

It is difficult enough to ask directions when you get late at night, tired, maybe even wet to the bones into a strange city where even if you speak the language people won't know what you need (a clean, cheap, noise-free place with secure parking for the bike) so it might be close to impossible with the language barrier. So, I suggest you get on-line, get some waypoints of things you like and put them in your GPS, I'm sure your trip will be much more enjoyable that way. It won't work for every single day, and I'm not suggesting you follow the planning to the letter, but I'm sure advanced planning will help you a lot.

Not meaning any disrespect since I'm sure you know what you are doing and have thousands of miles under your belt, but skipping meals all day long or even eating very little while on the road for several days at a time IMHO, is not a wise decision... Even if you don't like the food, your body needs fuel to function at peak capacity. Peak capacity is a good thing when riding a motorcycle. I'm sure one of the reasons you are not enjoying yourself and holding back from doing stuff is because you are malnourished (like not climbing the tower at Nazca Lines, even though I'd personally say you dind't miss anything special).

Take your time to find a supermarket (SUPER MERCADO) or a small store (TIENDA) and do some shopping... buy cookies, some canned food, cheese, bread, olives, eggs, whatever you like to eat... So if you don't find anything you fancy while on the road (or even at night when you got late to the hotel) just dig into the stash in your panniers.

Hope this helps and your trip improves!
Ride safe
__________________
SS. '98 BMW F650 / '06 WR250F / '07 KTM 990 Adv
Caracas, Venezuela
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #875
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Glad to see you got to a place where you can rest from the road for a few days and also relax.

While the road can sometimes be hard or unpleasant, like John said: if the bad days outnumber the good days, then there is something wrong in the equation...

Not managing to communicate is tough, there are some people that might be more outgoing than others and might manage to get their way through without speaking a language, but its not the case for everyone and can be a major handicap if one is a shy person (not implying you are one or the other as I do not know you except from this RR)... I suggest you take your time whenever internet access allows and plan your route. I don't mean only the road you are taking, but also the places you'd like to sleep and eat in. There have been plenty of riders before you who've posted their impressions on a given road (is it too long for one day? is it too hot? too many crooked cops? etc) on a good attraction and on good (or bad) places to eat and sleep. The big picture changes entirely if you know you are enduring an awful road (because that's the only way there is to the place you want to go) but there is a nice hostel with secure parking and a thick steak at the end of the day waiting for you.

It is difficult enough to ask directions when you get late at night, tired, maybe even wet to the bones into a strange city where even if you speak the language people won't know what you need (a clean, cheap, noise-free place with secure parking for the bike) so it might be close to impossible with the language barrier. So, I suggest you get on-line, get some waypoints of things you like and put them in your GPS, I'm sure your trip will be much more enjoyable that way. It won't work for every single day, and I'm not suggesting you follow the planning to the letter, but I'm sure advanced planning will help you a lot.

Not meaning any disrespect since I'm sure you know what you are doing and have thousands of miles under your belt, but skipping meals all day long or even eating very little while on the road for several days at a time IMHO, is not a wise decision... Even if you don't like the food, your body needs fuel to function at peak capacity. Peak capacity is a good thing when riding a motorcycle. I'm sure one of the reasons you are not enjoying yourself and holding back from doing stuff is because you are malnourished (like not climbing the tower at Nazca Lines, even though I'd personally say you dind't miss anything special).

Take your time to find a supermarket (SUPER MERCADO) or a small store (TIENDA) and do some shopping... buy cookies, some canned food, cheese, bread, olives, eggs, whatever you like to eat... So if you don't find anything you fancy while on the road (or even at night when you got late to the hotel) just dig into the stash in your panniers.

Hope this helps and your trip improves!
Ride safe

i appreciate the input and that's pretty much what i do, when i leave a place i know where I'm headed. I stretched it yesterday only because Abancay was so undesirable and I knew I could make Cusco.

I think my problem mostly is it's just not fun going to see tourist attractions by yourself, whether it's Niagra Falls, Disney world or Macchu Picchu. I don't mind riding by myself , actually i quite enjoy it. But when you get to a place like this, Cusco which i would describe as Disney World, Peruvian style (just mobbed with tourists) It's not fun by yourself.

To be honest i could care less if I ever saw Macchu Picchu. I'm just not a sight see'er. I love meeting people and riding and that's really why i'm here. My several day drought of meeting anyone and having really bad riding has led to my depression about the trip.

I went to Norton's today and asked about their guest book for long distance riders. The Peruvian waiter behind the bar asked me several times "You want to buy a book?" Then he said there is no such book. I wonder if there is. I've heard there is. If there is, why wouldn't he know? I know he understood i was a long distance moto traveler. It's a mystery.

The eating...I just can't face it anymore. I hate getting a meal here. I eat when I absolutely have to but I really force myself to do it, I think it's that bad. I don't see another option. It's eat something you'd rather not eat or don't eat. I enjoyed my break from food yesterday. Today's breakfast was more of the same. You don't get what you ordered and it's not that good. I skipped lunch again. Too much trouble for something you just don't want. I have tried the tiendas with some success. Sublime chocolate bars and yogurt, bananas and cashews. I know I won't starve, but i sure miss a meal i enjoy at the end of a long day

I really do appreciate your input and I guess we are all different, If going hungry is the price I have to pay to ride roads like I rode yesterday, it's OK with me. Fighting Disney like crowds and paying $150 to see Macchu Picchu, no thanks.

I think a lot of people think I am somehow unhappy with the ride and that's not the case. It's been great, just the last several days, minus my great time in Lima have sucked and that's why I write it for you all to read. It's the way I see it.

I am looking forward to Miami. I have lost interest in SA.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #876
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.
 
poolman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Darnestown, MD
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
The Peruvian waiter behind the bar asked me several times "You want to buy a book?" Then he said there is no such book. I wonder if there is. I've heard there is. If there is, why wouldn't he know? I know he understood i was a long distance moto traveler. It's a mystery.

Kedgi
Kedgi,

Tell the bartender you are looking for this book:



Also, you may want to talk with Alex Luna, owner of Peru Moto Tours two blocks off the main plaza. Alex has tons of international clients and can give you suggestions for restaurants, lodging, etc. He was a huge help to me and I have found him to be very trustworthy. He also has specially negotiated rates with many hotels he uses on his tours.

I hope the great ride yesterday is an indicator of great times ahead!

PS Please have a cold Cuesquena for me


Cheers,
__________________
~~~~~~
poolman

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #877
FrozenAssets
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NWT
Oddometer: 1
Thumb A refreshing perspective

I have been following along albeit quitely. Great RR. I lived in NB for 10 years and share your sentiment on winters. Now I live in one of the coldest places in CAD (ah, the realities of life) and this site & the RRs on it are a coping mechanism for me through the harsh & long northern winters.
I just wanted to thank you for your honesty, style of writing and to saying it like you see it. I have read tons of RRs on this site and yours is one that answered a few questions for me regarding some of the effects of going on long trip on a moto. I am dreamer and I dream about doing such a trip in the not too distant future and your insights on food, being alone, handling new places, new cultures, challenges with food, border crossings and the language barrier are most enlightening. I find too many a RRs leave these details out and focus on the other aspects of the trips, which is fine and interesting to read but it also helps to read when things other than mechanical are not going well and what the impact on the person is. So I commend you for being so honest and open.
I wish you all the best and I will be following along whether you extend your trip or turn back to NB. Bon Voyage!
Cheers!
FrozenAssets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #878
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Kedgi,

Tell the bartender you are looking for this book:



Also, you may want to talk with Alex Luna, owner of Peru Moto Tours two blocks off the main plaza. Alex has tons of international clients and can give you suggestions for restaurants, lodging, etc. He was a huge help to me and I have found him to be very trustworthy. He also has specially negotiated rates with many hotels he uses on his tours.

I hope the great ride yesterday is an indicator of great times ahead!

PS Please have a cold Cuesquena for me


Cheers,

Thanks Poolman that's amazing. I'm going to walk over there tonight and ask again. I've decided to head for Chile tomorrow. I have had enough of Peru. So any riders who have recently passed through Bolivia told me they have practically had to beg for gas. I don't want the hassle.

I am thinking I will start making arrangements to head to either Houston and see my friends in Port Aransas or Miami and see my friends in Key West or maybe Houston, is better, so I can do both

I do want to ride to Argentina as I intended but cut a few weeks off the trip.

kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #879
Cal
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 747
Kedgi
Cutting a few weeks from a 3 month trip is not the end of the world, its your trip and your decesion. I have been in your position while travelling alone in spanish speaking countries, 3 years ago after 2 months riding in Central America I was follwing a diesel bus up a hill breathing in all the black smoke and it was at that moment I hit the wall and decided the next day I would turn around and ride back to Canada, I had had enough! I needed a rest from the travell.
I decided that to enjoy the culture more I would need better language skills and found a private tutor and studied very hard for 2 years and am now much more confident with the language.
You and I are the same age and I know learning Spanish is tuff, but it can be done! Just wish I had have listened to all those French lessons we were forced to take back in grade school. Hindsight!
Cheers from the frozen north
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #880
cesargarcia529
n00b
 
cesargarcia529's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 1
kedgi[/QUOTE]




[/QUOTE]

:f reaky

I am Cesar Garcia.
Sorry my English is very bad .

I live in Medellin Colombia .

I was in the desert between Piura and Chiclayo without fuel . then watch kedgi going on a motorcycle KLR650.

Thank thank thank you I will be eternally grateful for your help.

You know you have a friend in Medellin Colombia for more when you come .

Here is the video when we are desert


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkmpkydUnc

Bon voyage my friend
cesargarcia529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #881
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Kedgi
Cutting a few weeks from a 3 month trip is not the end of the world, its your trip and your decesion. I have been in your position while travelling alone in spanish speaking countries, 3 years ago after 2 months riding in Central America I was follwing a diesel bus up a hill breathing in all the black smoke and it was at that moment I hit the wall and decided the next day I would turn around and ride back to Canada, I had had enough! I needed a rest from the travell.
I decided that to enjoy the culture more I would need better language skills and found a private tutor and studied very hard for 2 years and am now much more confident with the language.
You and I are the same age and I know learning Spanish is tuff, but it can be done! Just wish I had have listened to all those French lessons we were forced to take back in grade school. Hindsight!
Cheers from the frozen north
I gotta tell ya Cal, you said it all in one paragraph.

You can only suck in so much diesel climbing hills at high elevation, you can only kick your butt so much for not knowing some Spanish, riding down here can be taxing and it's not just the riding it's the day to day interaction we all have to go through.

My best friend, Tom. Who is a real stand up smart guy I have known since I was a kid emailed me tonight and said, he would have "Pulled the plug on the trip long ago" I can't tell you how much that means to me, nor can i tell you how much the company of my German backpacker friends has meant to me throughout this trip. I have been so down I was thinking they had moved on. What a dumbass I am. I should have known better.

I have changed my plan to go to Chile at the absolute last minute because I just heard from Jana and Malene. I had emailed and said i am skipping Bolivia so I guess it's good bye for now. They both just emailed and said we just arrived in Cusco after 21 hours on the bus, knowing you would be wondering where we are. Please don't leave for Chile, we have a birthday to celebrate......Boy do I feel better. Now I can do some stuff here with friends instead of just twiddling my thumbs.

To all you readers...Thanks so much for your kind words, support and interaction with me as I find my way through SA, you won't know how much it means until YOU come down here solo.

Poolman, you're extraordinary, Thanks so much! ...have I got a picture for you!

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 03:44 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #882
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAssets View Post
I have been following along albeit quitely. Great RR. I lived in NB for 10 years and share your sentiment on winters. Now I live in one of the coldest places in CAD (ah, the realities of life) and this site & the RRs on it are a coping mechanism for me through the harsh & long northern winters.
I just wanted to thank you for your honesty, style of writing and to saying it like you see it. I have read tons of RRs on this site and yours is one that answered a few questions for me regarding some of the effects of going on long trip on a moto. I am dreamer and I dream about doing such a trip in the not too distant future and your insights on food, being alone, handling new places, new cultures, challenges with food, border crossings and the language barrier are most enlightening. I find too many a RRs leave these details out and focus on the other aspects of the trips, which is fine and interesting to read but it also helps to read when things other than mechanical are not going well and what the impact on the person is. So I commend you for being so honest and open.
I wish you all the best and I will be following along whether you extend your trip or turn back to NB. Bon Voyage!
Cheers!

Thanks FA

They always say...write about what you know, I know what it's like to ride solo in SA. I know the reward of meeting really good people. I didn't have to come here to discover that, I've known it for many years. I have a sixth sense about people, just ask Angele, she will tell you.

If you are dreaming about a trip like this, or anything else, you are halfway there. Start taking concrete steps to make it happen.

I, like you, love reading ride reports that talk about life, love haappiness, and what all of those things involve. I encouage any reader of mine to read Radioman's report. If you don't learn something about what's important in life, or what it takes to be a truly good person, I'll be surprised. It's easy to find here on ADV, he's has over a million hits, I have had one tenth of that.

Also read John Down's report. Extrodinary! His insite into life, culture, travel and economics can teach us all something.

I just write what I know, and feel, and struggle with, and love and I'm glad you all enjoy it.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #883
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat
 
Stan Dalone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Wo says ya cant get thair from hair?
Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I just write what I know, and feel, and struggle with, and love and I'm glad you all enjoy it.
I call that "keepin it real!".
__________________
My ride report from 8 months and 18000 miles on an old C-10
(soon to be updated)

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #884
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesargarcia529 View Post
kedgi



[/QUOTE]

:f reaky

I am Cesar Garcia.
Sorry my English is very bad .

I live in Medellin Colombia .

I was in the desert between Piura and Chiclayo without fuel . then watch kedgi going on a motorcycle KLR650.

Thank thank thank you I will be eternally grateful for your help.

You know you have a friend in Medellin Colombia for more when you come .

Here is the video when we are desert


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkmpkydUnc

Bon voyage my friend [/QUOTE]


Cesar

Mucho Gusto!

It was my pleasure to meet you and make a friend in the desert

That was a bad day in the desert, windy, sand blowing, getting darker. Thanks so much for providing the excellent video link. It is one thing for me to talk about what it can be like to ride across the desert. It's great for my readers to be able to see it.

I certainly enjoyed our evening in Chiclayo. I will be sure to contact you if I make another trip to Colombia. You have a friend in Canada

Dwight


Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 03:12 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #885
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Jana and Malene

After finally hearing from Jana and Malene last night I realize we had our wires crossed. It may have been a language thing, you have to remember these two extremely bright ladies communicate to me through their third and fourth languages. They are outstanding people and so are Lawrence and Niko. I just have the email addresses for the two young ladies and communicate to the group through them.

I left Lima a day before them. I told them I would email where I was when I stopped because there were several options, within 100 kms of each other. I ended up in Paracas. I emailed. Malene emailed and said they would catch the noon bus out of Lima to meet me. When they never showed up and the last bus was empty I was really quite worried. I emailed and said so. I emailed and said I was worried and I said if your headed to Cusco I wont' wait here any more I'll see you in Cusco. Bad wording I guess!!!

Malene said in an email I was very relieved to get, that they couldn't make the bus connection to Paracas but they were fine in Ica and would see me in Cusco. She thought I meant I wouldn't wait for them any longer. I didn't understand their intention was to backtrack to Paracas the next day. I was assuming that since they had passed Paracas they would just continue south. We passed each other opposite direction, the next day, them wondering what had made me so impatient and me wondering, a couple days later, if I had unintentionally done something to offend them. Travel and travel arrangements can be tough, especially in different languages. I guess I will have to learn Danish and German as well as Spanish. I've really got my work cut out for me.

It's all sorted. I am sooooooo looking forward to seeing them later today!

Now I can have the break I needed and spend some quality time with quality friends

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 03:58 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014