ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #901
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Cusco

Some pics from Cusco

The huge town square














One of the main streets i walk each day on my way to the square, gotta go here in a few minutes on my way to Starbucks



One of Cusco's many narrow streets




A tile mural depicting the town





Somebody moving some mattresses




The Cathedral





An unusual Cat fountain!





People...LOTS of people









A cool little rat bike. The young owner spoke English very well and he told me he and his cousin built this. I never thought to take his picture. I went back to get it and he had gone. The engine is a KTM, he told me it is a 350 and it's a twin.




Evening




Inside Norton's. Mostly everyone was on the balcony




Jana and Lawrence




Niko at the board





The kids went to buy pancho's to hike with and Niko liked this sleeping bag




Lawrence, Malene, me, Jana and Niko last night after supper



I've been wonder what the hell this is in the lobby of the hostal. I finally figured it out. It is a bar made from a tree, that opens like a typical little bar, complete with a rack to hang wine glasses from.








A better look at my friends. Niko still sporting his cast.




I paid my bill for five nights at the hostal. $70. I had been told it was $25/night I thought. Good deal. I'll buy my own TP and endure cold showers for that.

Off to Starbucks

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #902
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Kedgi, hi!
Your RR crossed my way, and today I have been reading it here and there. Great time you are having, glad for that.
Isn't Cuzco amazing?

You have written "So like I say, parts of a SA trip are outstanding. Some parts, not so much. All in all it's a fantastic ride.", which makes me wonder if you already have defined your route from Cuzco to Ushuaia. Why? because once you get to Patagonia, there are only 3 reasonable choices on your way south, undertaking a long trip like yours:
- Atlantic Coast,
- Ruta 40 along the argentinean side of Los Andes,
- and Ruta 5 along the chilean side of them.
Briefly, in order to avoid boring you with something you didn't ask for , I can say that if you don't like the "not so much" routes, may be you should consider not to take the Atlantic coast as your first choice. It's the fastest but also the less amazing one.

Anyway, it's just my personal taste after have been riding lots of routes from Cuzco to Ushuaia all these years.

I'm 300kms from the Cordillera de Los Andes, in Northwest Patagonia.
If you would like more information, or you need help around here, just let me know, you can count on me for whatever you need.

Ride safe.
See you, mate.
.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #903
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Kedgi, hi!
Your RR crossed my way, and today I have been reading it here and there. Great time you are having, glad for that.
Isn't Cuzco amazing?

You have written "So like I say, parts of a SA trip are outstanding. Some parts, not so much. All in all it's a fantastic ride.", which makes me wonder if you already have defined your route from Cuzco to Ushuaia. Why? because once you get to Patagonia, there are only 3 reasonable choices on your way south, undertaking a long trip like yours:
- Atlantic Coast,
- Ruta 40 along the argentinean side of Los Andes,
- and Ruta 5 along the chilean side of them.
Briefly, in order to avoid boring you with something you didn't ask for , I can say that if you don't like the "not so much" routes, may be you should consider not to take the Atlantic coast as your first choice. It's the fastest but also the less amazing one.

Anyway, it's just my personal taste after have been riding lots of routes from Cuzco to Ushuaia all these years.

I'm 300kms from the Cordillera de Los Andes, in Northwest Patagonia.
If you would like more information, or you need help around here, just let me know, you can count on me for whatever you need.

Ride safe.
See you, mate.
.
Thanks

I really appreciate your input and readership. I only intend to go as far as Buenos Aries and then ship my bike back stateside from there. I plan to spend the next several days knocking about Puno and the surrounding area, Airiequpe (Sp) etc. the head to La Paz for my birthday party with a friend who has a concurrent birthday and then head south.

Cusco is a nice city. It's a spectacular morning here.

You ride safe too!

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #904
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Hey Dwight,
I have to confess that I stopped following your RR back in October when you posted about your troubles with your GPS and I-84 with trucks whizzing by and your bike conking out, etc. I told myself there is no frickin' way this guy is gonna make it to Texas, never mind SA.
I checked back in a few weeks ago, where I left off, and holy crap! You're doing great! I'm all caught up now and I'm loving your RR. Your honesty and candor is refreshing. Please keep going and reporting. I'm with you for the duration. If you ride through this area on your way home, let me know. Burgers or steak (and beer) on me.
I think it was Eddyturn that brought up a point that I've been wondering about: are you drinking enough water or juice on this trip? I'm not a doctor, but I believe loss of appetite is one of the symptoms of dehydration. This brings up one of the four main obstacles to a trip like this for me; I consume a lot of water and I would worry about availability of pure water in some of the countries you have been through. The other three are $, time, and No Habla Espanol.
I have to say that you have a big set of brass _____ doing what you're doing. Ride safe and keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I may take you up on that steak in a couple months on my way home, you never know.

I really try to keep hydrated and use one of those Camel Backs. My appetite is fine. I'm just not a fan of the food.

Bottled water is really easy to find everywhere. I brought one of those water purifiers with me and have never needed it. I throw it away but it was expensive. Water is plentiful and cheap.

The Spanish problem can be fixed. I am going to take Spanish at home.

The $ not so easy maybe, but this trip is not all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I take a few hundred dollars out and it lasts several days. Places like this hostal at less than $15/ night are great for the budget. Beers and meals are cheap. Gas in Ecuador was $1.50/gallon. Here it's more like in Canada over 5 maybe 6 dollars a gallon. The KLR gets such good mileage it does matter a whole lot unless you do a huge day like I did riding in here

The big costs are things like flying the bike across the gap and back stateside. The Gap cost $1300 including bike and myself the flight to Miami or Houston will be about $1500 for the bike and I'm not sure about the cost of my ticket yet.

Riding here is dirt cheap compared to riding in the USA or Canada. In Fishkill NY I paid more for one night in a Comfort Inn than I'd pay for two weeks accommodation down here.

Thanks for reading. I have good friends in Jersey, you may see me yet.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #905
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Altitude = more water. Less booze. Might make you feel a bit better up there.
That's good advice. I really haven't had all that much beer here and I do try to stay hydrated. I just seem to be one of those souls that doesn't do well at altitude. It takes me a long while to adjust. I am feeling much better today than I have the last several days. I actually have some energy today. I'm coming around.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:46 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #906
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 450
Is there as reason many are not going to Brazil?
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #907
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks

I really appreciate your input and readership. I only intend to go as far as Buenos Aries and then ship my bike back stateside from there. I plan to spend the next several days knocking about Puno and the surrounding area, Airiequpe (Sp) etc. the head to La Paz for my birthday party with a friend who has a concurrent birthday and then head south.

Cusco is a nice city. It's a spectacular morning here.

You ride safe too!

Kedgi
Ok, Buenos Aires is your final destination.
Well, looks pretty little probable you pass near home, here in Cipolletti/Neuquén cities, because it seems you will look for the shorter diagonal Santiago de Chile - Mendoza - Córdoba - Buenos Aires, for example.
Anyhow, feel free to keep in mind you have an ADV inmate around here just in case.

Keep it going

.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #908
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Is there as reason many are not going to Brazil?
In my case, I love Mountains and Desert, but I suffer too much riding in the humid and the hot weather of the rainforests.

.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #909
Smithee
F650 Beemerider
 
Smithee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Inland Northwest - Walla Walla
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I have learned to take it very easy on the beer and I'm drinking water as I write this. It's very good advice for anyone that comes to these high elevations. The hostal even sells a compressed gas can like a big can hairspray used to come in, sort of, called an oxishot. You can give yourself a blast of Oxygen if you need it. I didn't drink at all tonight and I have been on the water but I felt sick to my stomach for a while this morning and have that heartburn feeling you get at altitude or at least I get at altitude. I'm fine but I'm aware of the feeling and I'm very tired and calling it a night at 11pm.
I was wondering how your body was handling the altitude. It's something you don't see being written about in some of the other ride reports from folks riding in Peru. I had trouble with a hike last summer in the Maroon Bells area of Colorado, and that was around 9,000'. Cant imagine trying any serious exertion at the altitude you're at in Cusco (like a 4 day hike that your friends are going on.

Good thing the bike is running ok for you at that altitude. My old BMW f650 had carb problems and would have puked and died long before this if it was along on your trip.

Ride safe, Dwight!
__________________
~Smithee
'07 BMWf650gs
'08 Victory Vision
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #910
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
I was wondering how your body was handling the altitude. It's something you don't see being written about in some of the other ride reports from folks riding in Peru. I had trouble with a hike last summer in the Maroon Bells area of Colorado, and that was around 9,000'. Cant imagine trying any serious exertion at the altitude you're at in Cusco (like a 4 day hike that your friends are going on.

Good thing the bike is running ok for you at that altitude. My old BMW f650 had carb problems and would have puked and died long before this if it was along on your trip.

Ride safe, Dwight!

The secret to my friend's success at high elevation is they are all under 20. Niko and I were walking across the square last night looking for Lawrence and the girls and he said, "maybe they're still at out Hostal paying for the hike. I'll run up the stairs and see" The he ran up about 150 stairs and turned the corner out of sight. I was having a time just plodding along the sidewalk. There is no substitute for youth and enthusiasm unless it's old age and treachery.

I am feeling much better today. I was really altitude sick I think, leading to feeling down and depressed. It can really screw you up.

Today I have energy again. I walked over and met Alex Luna at Moto Tours Peru and he gave me a map to guide me right up to the train to Machu Picchu. I'm going ride up there on Monday I think, just so I can say I did it. Screw paying $200 to ride in a packed bus with a lot of tourists.

Got a haircut and shave at the Peluqueria otherwise known as the barber shop. It's hard to shave when you haven't had hot water for about a week, I feel somewhat human again for the first time in several days.

I looked it up today, Cusco is at over 11000 ft. One of the highest cities in the world.
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #911
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,639
Hi Dwight

Not sure if this applies to you, or you were already aware, but saw it on Bryces ride report regarding money exchange in Argentina. Might be worth a read.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=918
__________________
Work is the last resort of the unimaginative.
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #912
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,355
glad you are getting recharged with "people" time...
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #913
Cal
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 755
Kedgi
I did the 4 day MP hike at 54 years old and my buddy was 59. It took me 3 days in Cusco to get acclimatized, I went to the pharmacy and got something for the sickness, do not remember what it was but it worked. The hike reaches 14000' at dead womens pass. The porters actually run ahead of you and camp is all set up when you arrive
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #914
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Hi Dwight

Not sure if this applies to you, or you were already aware, but saw it on Bryces ride report regarding money exchange in Argentina. Might be worth a read.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=918
Didn't know about Xoom... sound great, but here in ARG the official and black market values are just as named in the link above...

.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #915
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Cash in Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Hi Dwight

Not sure if this applies to you, or you were already aware, but saw it on Bryces ride report regarding money exchange in Argentina. Might be worth a read.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=918
I appreciate that. That will likely help me when it comes time to pay to ship the bike home from BA. The shipper only accepts cash.

Thanks

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014