User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #976
shirtman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Green Parrot

T -3 sleeps to Super Bowl.....we will see you when you get back at the Parrott remember NO SNIVELING - let us know when!
btw zero here -20 tonite suck it!
shirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #977
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 673
Fantastic!

Kedgi,

I am so happy you enjoyed Machu Picchu and enjoyed some good food in Aguas Calientes! I am having a great time, if only vicariously, enjoying your trip.

To all of Kedgi's followers - here is a different view of the road Dwight rode, BOTH WAYS, between Santa Teresa and Santa Maria. A crash could literally mean a 1,000 vertical meter fall into the raging river below:

This track is consistently listed among the ten most deadly roads in the world, and there are numerous remembrances along the way, including a particularly poignent memorial with one large cross and many small ones to memorialize the occupants of a school bus that could not successfully navigate the treacherous route.

Cheers to Kedgi!!!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo

poolman screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 04:57 AM
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #978
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtman View Post
T -3 sleeps to Super Bowl.....we will see you when you get back at the Parrott remember NO SNIVELING - let us know when!
btw zero here -20 tonite suck it!

Hey Shirtman!

I wish I was going to see the Superbowl with you at the Parrot again this year, I think this will be this first Superbowl at the Parrot I have missed in ten years. I won't likely make it to the Parrot until March but I'll let you know.

I saw a dude with an Iowa shirt yesterday, walking around Cusco, cool!

Have a safe flight and a good time in KW, I'm sure you will.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #979
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Sorry to hear your hurtin. Those rocky corners like that are always a PITA.

Thanks again for all the help with the MP roads. Really appreciate it. I expect I'm still a good 3 weeks behind you. Just leaving Quito tomorrow. Oh, and great MP pics also. Glad you found your llama - your life is now complete.

Party on Garth
No worries buddy

Get gas before you leave Ecuador, and don't leave Piura Peru without a full tank.

My RR will have to slow down for a few days. This old guy, about to get older is a hurtin unit today.

Ride safe! Hi to Julie!

Kedgi
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #980
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 159
Donate to Kedgi

Can you post your link to your PayPal? To all your RR readers, you gotta figure if you follow along on a ride like this that it's worth the price of a good book. Just sayin'
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #981
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hutin for Certain

My little spill in Hidroelectrica did more damage than I initially thought.

Last March just before I did my Florida trip I was shoveling heavy wet snow at home. I woke up the next morning and I could not move. Angele had to help me get out of bed and I made it the few steps to the bathroom door and I locked onto the doorframe and I could not move. I waited about 20 minutes hoping the shooting pain up the rightside of my ribcage would go away but it wouldn't. Angele called an Ambulance and they took me to the Moncton Hospital like I was a six foot log. Did it ever hurt! The ambulance attendant told me, while I was still locked to the door frame, "I have good news and bad news" He said "The good news is were going to take you to hospital and get you some help, that bad news is it's really going to hurt, so i advise you to scream a lot and scream really loud because it makes it more fun for your neighbours" He got me laughing and it hurt even worse. I followed his advice.

Flash forward from that day last March, until yesterday, I walked around Cusco yesterday, enjoying this beautiful city, but feeling a little sluggish from the elevation after a couple days down lower. I sat in the magnificent square and really enjoyed a performance by the Police band in the park, and I enjoyed people watching, I drank a couple litres of water trying to acclimatize again.

Then after a good day i came back to the hostal, laid down for a hour and when i woke up, I was surprised to find out my ribs on my right side have locked up again and I can hardly friggen move. So, i know the drill, I've been through it before, i have to do some of the physio I was taught the last time to get my ribs muscles to relax. I'm sure i injured them reefing on the handlebars in an attempt to keep the bike upright instead of just letting it fall.

I have everything I need here. I can eat well, I can see the Superbowl, my bike is secure, I like my hosts and they like me. I plan to stay until Monday and I can still meet up with my German friends in time for mine and Jana's combined birthday party as planned, so it really doesn't cramp my schedule or plans at all to take some extra rest. The RR will slow down but not stop and in a few days I'll get this show back on the road. It's all good. Except that it hurts to move or breathe today.

Kedgi
Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #982
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
I suppose the best I can suggest is to enjoy your inevitable downtime now. The lesson to let it go once it reaches a certain point is a lesson most of us learn if we ride long enough. I know I have. Good to hear that you are reasonably well set for your break time.

EMT's in Canada sound like a merry bunch too.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #983
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I suppose the best I can suggest is to enjoy your inevitable downtime now. The lesson to let it go once it reaches a certain point is a lesson most of us learn if we ride long enough. I know I have. Good to hear that you are reasonably well set for your break time.

EMT's in Canada sound like a merry bunch too.

I can think of worse places to be laid up.

You know I likely would have let it go a lot sooner but I was so far back in the middle of nowhere I really couldn't count on any help. I just lucked in when the Hydro truck came along.

That EMT guy was really funny, too funny at the time, he was killin' me.

Kedgi
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #984
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,190
glad to hear you know the drill to get going again
for some reason we all seem to try to save a tall bike when it goes and we can't do anything about it....
did a little riding up around Elgin, Alma, ST Martins a couple yrs ago and dropped the KLR on a washed out snowmobile trail....no place to put the feet down...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #985
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I can think of worse places to be laid up.

You know I likely would have let it go a lot sooner but I was so far back in the middle of nowhere I really couldn't count on any help. I just lucked in when the Hydro truck came along.

That EMT guy was really funny, too funny at the time, he was killin' me.

Kedgi
If you haven't yet, then you also need to experience the 'pull over'. You lift your overloaded bike too enthusiastically off the side stand. This puts it over center leaning to the right. Then the overloaded bike falls onto the right side pulling you down on top of it.

Right undignified!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #986
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
If you haven't yet, then you also need to experience the 'pull over'. You lift your overloaded bike too enthusiastically off the side stand. This puts it over center leaning to the right. Then the overloaded bike falls onto the right side pulling you down on top of it.

Right undignified!

I almost did that pull over trick at a gas station in Deer Lake NL on my first Trans Labrador trip. The extra 50 pounds or so of gas I had just added nearly pulled me right over when I brought the bike off the kick stand.

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 02:44 PM
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #987
Kedgi OP
Banned

No Tools

On the way back from Machu Picchu I stopped to lube my chain after all the wet dirt riding and my shift lever was a bit loose so I thought I'd tighten that too. I lubed the chain and then looked for my tools. Gone! They had been in my locked left side bag all along, where were they? Gone!

The only thing I can think is I set them on the floor at the shop in Lima when I was searching for my spare brake pads. When the boys were finished with the bike they rolled the bike out front of the shop. I'll bet I never put the bag of tools back and they never noticed until after I was gone. Rats! Anyway the bike has a tool kit. I've never used it before but I'm glad it does. It had what I needed and will suffice for the rest of the trip. I didn't have a lot of tools, maybe $150 worth but I'll miss my nice little multitool.

You are going to lose things on a trip of this length. So far I lost a Camel back and replaced it, sunglasses and replaced them, now tools and I have replacements. The thing is that absolutely everything you carry is essential and it hurts to lose something because you need it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #988
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
glad to hear you know the drill to get going again
for some reason we all seem to try to save a tall bike when it goes and we can't do anything about it....
did a little riding up around Elgin, Alma, ST Martins a couple yrs ago and dropped the KLR on a washed out snowmobile trail....no place to put the feet down...
Yup it sucks KLR's are so high to start with, a lttle slope or a big rock can really make you vulnerable to a tip over.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #989
Kedgi OP
Banned

Ribs feeling better and Cusco Pics

I'm happy to report that my ribs are feeling better. It's a miracle what a Tylenol 3 can do. I know that just helps with the pain and I still need to take it easy for a few days but I sure feel better. I can move and breathe again

I've had better luck meeting people too.

I went for a nice chicken sandwich and a beer at Norton's yesterday and met Chris a student from Boston who is here studying Peruvian history, culture, and Spanish. Very interesting smart guy. I sure enjoyed his company.

Chris and me on the balcony at Norton's

I went back to my hostal got some rest and went back to Norton's at Happy Hour. It seems to be the best place to meet someone who speaks English. I was lucky enough to meet the owner, Jeff. What a great guy. When he heard I was a long distance rider he sat right down and we talked for a couple hours about bikes, trips, business, Peru, families, everything. It was great to meet such a nice and entertaining guy. He rode from Arizona to the south Tip on a Norton, way back in 1986, ended up in Peru on his return and will likely never leave. He has built a great business in Norton's and is in the process of building a hotel in Northern Peru.

Jeff

So yesterday was the kind of day I dreamed of when starting this trip. I love meeting new people, and having wonderful conversations, it was great.

I saw this tequila, I've never seen before, Sauza Hacienda, had to try a shot. Yum! This will stop your ribs from bothering you.

Here's the Police Band I saw in the square

A Transito. These traffic police are everywhere trying to keep the traffic moving. what a concept, in North America we slow the traffic, here they speed it up.

This is where Trusty has been resting until we're ready to go again

Turns out Batman has given up any hope of a Hollywood comeback and has opened a succesful tour company in Cusco, Peru. Who knew?

I went for a walk this morning and saw these two nice rental bikes from MotoPeru. A brand new Transalp and a brand new 660 Tenere. Nice bikes for rentals! Nice Bikes!

The two riders were Spanish speaking, I tried to talk to them briefly. The one rider told me he had done an Alaska trip in the past. I didn't want to hold them up, a Transito was giving them the eye for where they were parked.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #990
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Kedgi,

I am so happy you enjoyed Machu Picchu and enjoyed some good food in Aguas Calientes! I am having a great time, if only vicariously, enjoying your trip.

To all of Kedgi's followers - here is a different view of the road Dwight rode, BOTH WAYS, between Santa Teresa and Santa Maria. A crash could literally mean a 1,000 vertical meter fall into the raging river below:

This track is consistently listed among the ten most deadly roads in the world, and there are numerous remembrances along the way, including a particularly poignent memorial with one large cross and many small ones to memorialize the occupants of a school bus that could not successfully navigate the treacherous route.

Cheers to Kedgi!!!
Thanks Poolman

That's an excellent photo of the way the road is just carved into the side of the mountain and the sharp hairpin turns where you can't see the opposite direction traffic. Crazy road!

I met a guy here at the hostal this morning who is a Machu Picchu guide. he has made over 300 trips to MP. He was booking a Chilean couple seats on the train right from Cusco. he thinks people that book trips in the mini vans through that Santa Maria to Hidroelectrica road are crazy. I can only imagine what he thought of me when i told him I rode my moto there. His eyes got pretty wide.

Kedgi