User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #1066
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 681
Understanding SA Border Crossings

Dwight: Why do you need all these stamps and paperwork?

Border Person: "I'm sorry, Sir, it's orders." We can't go against the protocol.

Dwight: I don't even know what protocol means.

Border Person: Neither do I, Sir.

Have a great day D

YK
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #1067
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
So, Kedgi, we are going to have to put up with another 8 weeks or so of this cold weather in New Brunswick which means that you are going to have to stay on the road for at least another 8 weeks. Otherwise we may just lose our sanity if we do not have your report to look forward to each day . It is so funny when I mention to someone some tidbit of information about a country down there and people ask me how I knew that and I just say - "Nightly on-line geography lesson from my buddy Dwight - who I have not even met yet".
Well Rory,

You're just going to have to come to my welcome home party and fix that!

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #1068
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Wow Dwight, you continue to rock it. My son and I are reading your post, googling locations and just really enjoying your adventure. Wait, f**k, gotta go shovel the 36cm of snow that fell yesterday.
Just be thankful you don't live in Shediac. Angele says they got 36 inches. I saw the pictures. They got hammered!

Kedgi
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #1069
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Settles it for me Bud. If I ever head down there I am taking mind control lessons from a Jeddai. You; 'You will let me thru.' Border Turkey;'I will let you thru.'
I think it's the Air Traffic Controller in me. I have a very low tolerance for BS

Kedgi
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #1070
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
Dwight: Why do you need all these stamps and paperwork?

Border Person: "I'm sorry, Sir, it's orders." We can't go against the protocol.

Dwight: I don't even know what protocol means.

Border Person: Neither do I, Sir.

Have a great day D

YK

That's what these border crossing are like. Surely somebody somewhere, in a place to fix things, knows this is all a complete waste of time, but is doing absolutely nothing about it. Seasoned travelers have told me it gets worse every year.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #1071
Kedgi OP
Banned

Antofagasta

Well, Dear Readers

I'm in Antofagasta Chile, tonight, last night I was in Iquique, Chile and the night before I was in Arica, Chile.

The road from Arica to here is awesome. Stunning canyons, climbs, staggering heat in the valleys, cool on the tops.. Stark desert landscape Amazing views of the Pacific. It's like riding on the moon with an ocean beside you. Nothing grows here. Absolutely nothing. They get virtually no rain. Something like 1mm every ten years. I'd like to send them some from the Maritimes, we seem to get more than our fair share.

I haven't posted for a few days because Chile runs on 220Volts. Today I was finally able to get a step down transformer and charge my computer again. It was only about $20 bucks at a Home Depot clone called "Easy" Try finding something like that in small desert city when you don't speak the language. I was lucky.I wandered around the store, found electronics, found what I wanted and didn't even have to play charades with a clerk.

I may need it for a while. The pass over to Argentina, just north of here is closed and has been for a week. That's what I intended to do today was ride that pass. So, it looks like I will have to ride another 1300 kms south to Santiago, before I can turn toward Buenos Aries. The thing is, I don't know, I met a good English speaker today who lives here and he even said he's not sure how far south the next pass is but he says it must be a long way and that I would be better off going across down by Santiago where the mountains are not so high. I guess time will tell.

It's very late, I rode a lot today, so i won't post pictures right now, but I will as soon as I can, now that I have a computer again

Anyway, I'm alive and well and living in Antofagasto...stay tuned

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:54 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #1072
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Kedgi, I don't think you need to ride to Santiago to get into Argentina.
Here's a list of Customs :

http://www.gendarmeria.gov.ar/pasos/chile/chile.html

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #1073
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Kedgi, I don't think you need to ride to Santiago to get into Argentina.
Here's a list of Customs :

http://www.gendarmeria.gov.ar/pasos/chile/chile.html

Thanks so MUCH!

It's so hard to find info like that here locally when you don't speak the language. It looks like I should try the Socampa Crossing that goes directly from here to Salta, Argentina.

Kedgi
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1074
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Aguascalientes Negras Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks so MUCH!

It's so hard to find info like that here locally when you don't speak the language. It looks like I should try the Socampa Crossing that goes directly from here to Salta, Argentina.

Kedgi
Dwight, this couple crossed at Aguascalientes Negras. Not sure how far that is from you. This post details their crossing and has a number of photos of the road.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=313

Edit - damn that auto correct!!! Heading says Aguascalientes Negras. It should be Aguas Negras.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos

Smithee screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:06 AM Reason: Damn that auto correct.
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #1075
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,328
just checking in to say hi, enjoying your adventures....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #1076
Kedgi OP
Banned

La Paz and Chile complete with Photos

I have to go back a few days, Not being able to charge my computer really screwed me up for a while. You don't realize how much you use it for route planning and calling home until you cant use it.

First back to La Paz a few days ago.

My friends Stephanie and Chris from Juno and Vasilie and Camelita, from Vancouver, who sure made my birthday a lot better than anticipated. Great to meet fun people when you think you're really alone.

Stephanie and Chris

Camelita and Vasilie

And this is Martin, he's the Bar Manager at the Brew Pub Hostal on Av Montes in La Paz. Highly recommend this place! It's a great Hostal and martin is a wonderful guy to talk to.

La Paz from the top. It is an insanely big city.

Lunch outside La Paz, before the GPS sent me on a wild goose chase.

Long lonely roads across the Alitcama

Looking back at the rain I rode through, only to have to ride through again

Trusty, hangin' in Bolivia

This statue is in Eucalyptis, Bolivia, when I realized my GPS was on drugs.

The cool little church in Eucalytptis where the cop came to help but in the end gave me bad directions

Top of the pass to Arica

Welcome to Chile

Once I was down out of the mountains and in Arica...was I ever glad to see tropical weather again.

Did I mention I hate cold?

The old Customs House in Arica, It looks like they use it as a stage for live performances now.

My Hotel in Arica, garbage all over the street and not a very nice part of town but a room was still $52/night. The most I think I'd paid since the USA. It wasn't a bad hotel, just not a great area, and they did have secure parking.

I liked Arica, not real big, but lots to see and they have a lot of nice pedestrian plazas like this.

These are the power outlets in Chile

When you leave Arica and ride south to Iquique this is the absolutely amazing scenery you see. My pictures will never do it justice. The valleys are on a supersized scale. One climb was 21 kms long. It's surreal.

Lunch in one of the valleys where it must have been 40 degrees C. I loved it after freezing my butt off in the mountains for so long.

It's dry

This is one of a very few roadside stops

I measured this straight stretch at over 11kms

Another long one...No Traffic

One of the few places anything was growing, was designated a Park

Trusty at the Park

Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #1077
shirtman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Long and lonesome highway east of Omaha...or far south

Your highway is far more barren than ours - amazing pics!

Ride safe!
shirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #1078
Kedgi OP
Banned

More pictures

My room in Iquique, really nice. I spluged when it was all I could find. Iquique was really busy. Peak season I guess. I tried a dozen places, all full, I took the only available room in this place, a corner suite with a balcony for $80, but I simply couldn't find anything else. They did not have secure parking. I parked on the street with my Kryptonite lock through my brake disc. I went and got a few beers and sat on my balcony and enjoyed the beautiful weather with my feet up. Then the front desk called and said we found a place to park your bike. Well I had had a few by then and wasn't moving the bike I told them. It's alright. The neighborhood wasn't bad and there was a lot of foot traffic so I was sure it was alright.

I went to bed went to sleep and was awakened a while later to some one repeatedly saying Mister, Mister, Mister. IT WAS THE FRONT DESK GUY and THE BUILDING MANAGER IN MY ROOM. They had let themselves intom y room, while I was sleeping, to wake me up to tell me they thought I should move the bike. Never had that happen before!

I said the bikes OK go away. They did.

They must have had a potential cut from the price coming...Holy F

My tropical balcony. It was great! I watched the sun set over the Pacific from here

My view

My hotel. I had that sport on the third floor

When i left the next morning I rode right through the City's main square following the GPS to a bank machine. I got a lot of hard looks from the few people that were up and about. I'm sure the squre is designated pedestrian only, so I stopped and took a few pictures.

One of Iquique's many beautiful beaches. It's Chile's answer to Ft Lauderdale in my opinion.

More from Iquique

Another big beach in Iquique

Some have huge surf, some are calm

When you leave Iquique, southbound, it's an awesome ride

Sand Golf course

Stunning views

People camping. I saw the first RV's I had see since leaving the USA

These brothers were surfers who warned me about the Pass to Salta, Argentina being closed. They had seen it on the news. and it was confirmed later by a man i met at lunch who lives near the pass and who spoke excellent English, the pass was closed

I reached Antofagasta after an awesome ride

The view from the roof of my hostal in Antofagasta

I had a Kuntsmann Beer. I think I'm going to import this stuff. I can think of some great advertising copy

My hostal in Antofagasta

I had my continued bad luck with food. Who smears avacado all over a pizza?

It was awful

While I drank my Kuntsmann and tried to stuff down my pizza I saw this poor dog. He's missing his left front leg. He sleeps in the sand on the corner between the restaurant and hostal. he lays there with his head down as hundreds walk by him oblivious to his plight. I saw one lady, thank God, that came and spoke to him. he followed her down the street and then she brought him back ten minutes later, she must feed him. Why doesn't someone rescue him? If I saw him at home in Canada. I would bring him straight home and let him live some happy days. Poor bugger! God I felt helpless to help.

More to follow. Stay tuned. I gotta go to bed. Big day tomorrow. I'm at the top of the formerly closed pass tonight. What a day

Argentina

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:04 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1079
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Well Rory,

You're just going to have to come to my welcome home party and fix that!

Dwight

Will do. Just let me know when it is.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #1080
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Will do. Just let me know when it is.