Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #1096
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMurgel View Post
Hello my friend, it is great to see you doing this great trip. Enjoy.

If you like to eat great food and drink some great wine go to La Moderna in Salta it is near the main plaza. The place is very cool but the owner does not allow you to take pictures... bummer.

I was in Salta last year with a friend from Brazil riding our bikes.

If you have a day go to: http://www.cafayate.todowebsalta.com.ar/

It is a nice day ride and you will see amazing landscapes and they also have great wine there.

Enjoy your trip and if you ever come to Brazil let me know.

I am planning for the end of the year ride my KTM 990 until Ushuaia as well.

Carlos
Thanks Carlos

I walked by La Moderna yesterday. I thought at the time that looked like a good spot. I think I will check it out. It reminds me of the place i enjoyed so much in Lima, La Mora, only on a larger scale.

Safe travels to the South Tip!

Thanks for the info and for reading

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1097
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC-2 View Post
Incredible. Hope you take some time to enjoy this, I know it must be difficult not to 'rush to the finish' after being on the road so long. Salta looks amazing. Thanks so much for your efforts with this ride report. So many of us appreciate it. Wishing you safe travels...
Thank You

I am mindful of not rushing to the end. I have been emailing the good people at DakarMotos about arranging shipping for my bike. I could have taken an option to be in BA Feb 18th to get it shipped before an upcoming national holiday on the 22nd, but that's just too much of a rush. I've just done a ton of mile getting here from La Paz. I didn't waste any time in Chile, because of the costs being so much higher than the rest of SA, having said that I still really enjoyed the Chile portion of the ride and felt I had sufficient time to see Arica, Iquequi, and Antofagsta at least a bit.

So I plan to spend a total of 4 nights here in Salta just chillin' then make my way at leisurely pace to BA where I'll spend at least a week. Even then, it's still not over when I get to Miami. I still have to ride home. That, to me, will be the third and final stage.

Thank again for reading and your input. I love input especially when I am alone for a long time as I have been the last week. You guys keep me company!

Kedgi
Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #1098
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
WOOHOOO!! Way to go Dwight!!!

Thanks so much!

Dwight
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #1099
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
What the Beav said with a big +1!

Thanks Guys

Very flattering!

Kedgi
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #1100
Kedgi OP
Banned

Wicked Moncton Bike Show

Hey

Tomorrow's the start of the Moncton bike show, don't forget to tell the Yamaha Motoplex guys they should be reading my post and that I need a new Super Tenere really, really cheap so I can ride the Desert Southwest and Mexico next Winter and keep giving you guys something good to read.

I hope that dealership gets tired of hearing about me to the point they give me a Tenere just to get rid of me. hahaha

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:50 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1101
casey sohc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Dwight Two Thumbs up!....great, just great.at the border you look like the king of the world! relish in it.you deserve a few days chillin with a bunch of Cerveza.you're doin great.Cheers JJ
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #1102
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
A BMW rider I saw.

Dwight, I think that is a Ural in a cleaver disguise! Although based on the oil under it, BMW could stand for "British Motorcycle Works" in this case!

Great RR!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #1103
Kedgi OP
Banned

Wemen

Are there any Spanish speakers out there that can help me with this one? Salta is the first place I've seen or heard anyone do this. There are men standing at ends of the busy pedestrian streets calling a word that sounds like "wemen!" but I've never seen any takers so I don't know what they are selling or promoting.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #1104
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Beats me, but why not approach and and ask, Que Vendes?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #1105
Kedgi OP
Banned

Motorcycle Shops Salta Argentina

I went for a walk today and one thing led to another. I have been looking for a litre of oil for my bike. I went to McDonalds got a burger and the paper and saw an ad for a Kawasaki shop. I asked around where it was and it was in walking distance of the town square. I went there, big clean shop. They actually had a KLR650 in stock. They are a Honda dealership too. Around the corner There is a big Yamaha Shop with two Super Tenere's in the window a black one and a white one.

Just for future reference if anyone is down here and needs the services of a dealership.

The Kawasaki/Honda shop is:

Yuhmak
Pellegrini 262 (That's the street address)
Salta, Argentina

Phone: (0387) 437 0140

It looks to me like they have a second shop in Tartagal

Yuhmak
San Martin 192
Tartagal, Argentina

phone: (03875) 426 923

Facebook /yuhmakmotos

I tried to buy oil there but from what I understood they buy all their oil in bulk. The service manager directed me to the street right behind the dealership where there is a huge lubricants shop and a motorcycle supply place where I got the oil On my way around the block i saw the Yamaha shop. They were closed for the mid-day break but I'm going to go there after 5 to drool on those Tenere's Black or White? Personally I like the blue they made last year.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #1106
Kedgi OP
Banned

No stop signs

Something I noticed as soon as i got into Salta was, there are no stop signs. Every intersection is uncontrolled. It actually works fairly well. It forces drivers to slow and have a look at each intersection. Only a few and I mean very few of the most major streets have lights. I've seen maybe three or four lights in 20 square blocks.

All streets are one way.

The driving here and in Chile is much more civilized than in the rest of Latin America and the incessant horn blowing doesn't happen here.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #1107
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Dwight, I think that is a Ural in a cleaver disguise! Although based on the oil under it, BMW could stand for "British Motorcycle Works" in this case!

Great RR!
That could well be a disguise, i don't know. It was being used to promote something. I saw thyem drive by while i was having a beer. The guy in the black shirt was the rider and the dude in the lime green suit was the passenger.

Thanks

Kedgi
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #1108
Kedgi OP
Banned

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey sohc View Post
Dwight Two Thumbs up!....great, just great.at the border you look like the king of the world! relish in it.you deserve a few days chillin with a bunch of Cerveza.you're doin great.Cheers JJ
I don't mind telling you i was so excited I was laughing out loud!

I'm enjoying the mid day siesta and then I plan to walk around, look at stuff, go see those bikes, and when i get tired have a beer at a sidewalk cafe. It's a fitting reward after over 26000kms since leaving home.

Kedgi
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #1109
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Congrats!

Way to go Dwight! And Thank You for keeping the RR up to date. Really enjoying your ride.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #1110
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oil

One more thing about buying oil in Spanish speaking countries

2T vs 4T

2T oil is Dos Tiempo (Two stroke oil) You see it at many gas stations

4T oil is Quatro Tiempo (Four Stroke) motor oil and it's harder to find for motorcycles, until you figure out the Lube shops have it,

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:36 AM