Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #1141
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Pinto

Pinto

Today after a long ride in 15C and rain instead of the forecast 24 and sun I am in Pinto Argentina about 800 kms NW of Buenos Airies. I found a nice hotel, with WiFi and cable TV. catch is, they don't tell you neither work until after you've checked in and spread all your wet stuff all over the room. The next hotel is 60 miles up the road.

There is a restaurant next door. It was busy when i rode up, I failed to really take in there were two turista buses in the parking lot and that was why. When I got cleaned up and went to get something for supper, at 4:30 the buses were gone and the restaurant was closed. Man, I do get tired of this stuff. It's not that the hotel's WiFi is down or even that their TV's don't work, it's the cumulative effect of dozens and dozens of places that will allow you to "connect" to the internet, with no internet access, It's coffee shops that don't open until noon. It's the airshows put on by flies at restaurants, it breakfast that's a soggy croissant with pineapple available anywhere in Argentina, but if your idea of breakfast is eggs or fruit or anything else, forget it anywhere in Argentina. In the end, I found a little restaurant tucked in the corner of the other end of the parking and actually had a very good meal of Pollo a la Plancha and they have WiFi, so i went back to my room, grabbed the computer and was able to post this.

I guess I'm in the final stages of riding SA and I can smell Miami and NA from here. Coffee in the morning, breakfast at 6, Wifi that works etc. I guess it's a cultural thing but lack of attention to customer service detail, in the hospitality industry, is endemic in SA and no one complains. No toilet paper in public washrooms or none in your hotel, sometimes no toilet seat in your hotel, no hot water, shower heads that may as well be garden hoses, shower curtains a foot too short, no towel, no soap etc. After several months you miss those simple things that could be so easily fixed here.

I only made it 350kms today thanks to the rain and a false start caused, when 23 kms from my hotel this morning it occurred to me, I don't remember packing up my camera battery and charger. I stopped, checked my camera, and sure enough the battery slot was empty. I had left the battery and charger plugged in an outlet, approximately 7'3 and 1/4 inches from the floor (who knows why it's that high) and never noticed. Fucck! I mean Frack! A 46km backtrack in the rain just to start the day. Some days are diamonds.....some days are rocks.

It's all good. I'm safe and sound, I'm watered and fed and tomorrow's another day.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 04:17 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #1142
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtman View Post
Are you shipping everything - including yourself to Miami then heading south? The weather has been nice in KW but chilly up north lows in 40s, I heard Daytona was pretty cool with rain. Poor esposa Angele shoveling snow...we're sending more that way 6-8 " here by Friday morning. Midwest sucks this winter.
I am shipping everything to MIA, and I'll have to play it by ear with weather. I may leave the bike in Zypherhills where R&L spend the winter and fly down and get it later. Just depends on temperatures.

Dwight
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #1143
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Hola Dwight,

Keep the faith. If third world travel were easy, everyone would be doing it. The secret to happiness is lower expectations. Hospedajes with toilet seats are a plus in SA.

I always check the internet access before checking in.

You'll be home soon and this will all be like a dream.

Always interesting to see your take on travels. Keep up the good work amigo.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #1144
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Dwight,

Keep the faith. If third world travel were easy, everyone would be doing it. The secret to happiness is lower expectations. Hospedajes with toilet seats are a plus in SA.

I always check the internet access before checking in.

You'll be home soon and this will all be like a dream.

Always interesting to see your take on travels. Keep up the good work amigo.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Thanks John

Always nice to hear from you. I was more than a bit grumbly after a long wet day yesterday, but I had a great sleep on a nice bed and I'm ready to go again, in more rain, today. You are right about expectations and in the little $11 posadas and stuff in Mexico I had very low expectations. I guess last night when I felt like I had paid a good buck at $37 USD they could have at least warned the internet's not working and the TV's are out. I might have pushed on.

I'm just anxious to get this last bit behind me, do all that needs to be done to ship the bike etc. and see this adventure through. I have enjoyed my trip overall and am really glad i did it. I wouldn't do it again but I'm glad I did it. I will keep future travels limited to NA and Mexico, at least that's how I feel today. Who knows, maybe Spain is nice.

You make a good point too John, It's just my take that i write here. I know many others have different takes. It is only my humble opinion based on my experience.

Safe Travels John!

Dwight

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 02:28 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #1145
DocRock
considerothers

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post

I'm just anxious to get this last bit behind me, do all that needs to be done to ship the bike etc. and see this adventure through. I have enjoyed my trip overall and am really glad i did it. I wouldn't do it again but I'm glad I did it. I will keep future travels limited to NA and Mexico, at least that's how I feel today. Who knows, maybe Spain is nice.

You make a good point too John, It's just my take that i write here. I know many others have different takes. It is only my humble opinion based on my experience.

Safe Travels John!

Dwight
Kedgi: You are a man among the inmates! You are laying out your emotions and feelings that few would do in public and the rest of us should benefit from it if we pay attention. I could tell when you suffered altitude sickness and the loneliness from not being fluent enough in Spanish to carry on meaningful dialogue with the natives, and then the frustrations of the "laid-back" lifestyle they have. The difference is that you have define goals and they are just living life as it comes to them--been thru that in Ecuador and its frustrating when you are trying to help with their environmental health and the very next day they are back to their familiar habits. Your venting about the situations seems to help you, and it's an eye opener to us inmates who think that such an adventure as yours is all fun. Thanks for letting it all hang out!
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #1146
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Dwight:

you are a true adventurer to be able to undertake this long voyage of discovery. Not many would have the will or guts to go along to SA and put up with the lack of simple things which we just expect.

You are truly an inspiration and I greatly admire your fortitude in challenging times, especially when you can't communicate with most of the people you run into. I too am fussy in my choice of foods so I know what you mean about a simple breakfast of bacon & eggs, or a simple Lobster & Eggs in Shediac next July if I arrive as planned.

being alone for such a long time isn't easy and I feel that you are happier now that you are on the home stretch

take care
bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #1147
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 179
What??? Almost done!!

So, WTF Dwight! What are we supposed to do when you wrap it up???? Reeeeally enjoyed the RR, as you know.

Getting into the second 100k on my VStrom.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1148
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Dwight:

you are a true adventurer to be able to undertake this long voyage of discovery. Not many would have the will or guts to go along to SA and put up with the lack of simple things which we just expect.

You are truly an inspiration and I greatly admire your fortitude in challenging times, especially when you can't communicate with most of the people you run into. I too am fussy in my choice of foods so I know what you mean about a simple breakfast of bacon & eggs, or a simple Lobster & Eggs in Shediac next July if I arrive as planned.

being alone for such a long time isn't easy and I feel that you are happier now that you are on the home stretch

take care
bob
Thanks Bob

I appreciate your kind words and your following this report through thick and thin. When you get a trip to Shediac planned be sure to let me know. Angele makes a mean lobster roll!

I'm in Rosario tonight about 300kms from Buenos Aires. Rained all day, at times very hard. I had to pull off the road about 70 kms from here and wait out a particularly heavy shower. I found a decent hotel in town after a long search, with secure parking around the corner. I hope it's sunny tomorrow. It has been raining steady for three days. Challenging riding today, rutted road, bad visibility, lots of trucks and no shoulder. I saw about four or five cars that had flipped over from just putting a wheel on the shoulder. It was soft mud a foot deep and it would just grab the car and over it would go. Signs at all the tolls booths warning about the dangers of the shoulder in rain.

Dwight
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1149
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Kedgi: You are a man among the inmates! You are laying out your emotions and feelings that few would do in public and the rest of us should benefit from it if we pay attention. I could tell when you suffered altitude sickness and the loneliness from not being fluent enough in Spanish to carry on meaningful dialogue with the natives, and then the frustrations of the "laid-back" lifestyle they have. The difference is that you have define goals and they are just living life as it comes to them--been thru that in Ecuador and its frustrating when you are trying to help with their environmental health and the very next day they are back to their familiar habits. Your venting about the situations seems to help you, and it's an eye opener to us inmates who think that such an adventure as yours is all fun. Thanks for letting it all hang out!

I appreciate the vote of confidence Doc. I have never been shy about telling it a I see it.

I look back on Northern Peru now as the toughest part of the ride for me. Bolivia was no piece of cake either. I have a friend a month behind me who's riding Northern Peru now. I feel for him. He's struggling too.

Dwight
Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1150
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
So, WTF Dwight! What are we supposed to do when you wrap it up???? Reeeeally enjoyed the RR, as you know.

Getting into the second 100k on my VStrom.
I'll be posting more this Summer. My long time riding buddy, Tom who's in my ride report "Trans Labrador Twice in One Summer" and I will be riding around the Maritimes and new England on various trips I'm sure.

Here is a link to the Trans Lab RR, if any of you haven't read it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766142

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not home yet. I'm trying to decide what to do about getting home, I guess that will depend on what the weather is like Stateside when I get to Florida. I want to drop in on my friends in Key West and go see all my readers in Zypherhills Florida where Angele's Mom and Dad spend the winter. Just the South American leg of this trip is coming to an end. There should be lots more to come. I am looking forward to dropping my bike at the airport in BA. It rained cats and dogs today at times and my signal lights quit just as I arrived in Rosario. NICE!

It's all good I made it safe and sound.

Thanks for reading. I'm glad you appreciate the report.

Dwight
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #1151
Kedgi OP
Banned

Sunny

It's going to be sunny today! Clear blue sky this morning.

Buenos Airies here I come!

Kedgi
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #1152
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
It's going to be sunny today! Clear blue sky this morning.

Buenos Airies here I come!

Kedgi
have a good day, no need to hurry home...although there have been a couple days in the 40F range, still going from 1 snow event to another...in NE......
when home in NB PM me for some nice dualsport tracks in eastern Me.
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #1153
Kedgi OP
Banned

Buenos Aires..... Photos

Good Morning from Buenos Aires

I dropped my bike at DakarMotos, they are making arrangements to fly it to Miami on Wednesday.

I will likely follow on Thursday.

I'm making home in this hostal, The Hostal Colonial until then.

I got up early this morning, as always and went for a walk and shot a few pictures in this gigantic city for you.

But first meet Cristian, an Argentine, Africa Twin, rider I met on the way down from Salta, great guy!

I was getting sick of rain, I rode in this for two days. Yuck!

and meet Phil. Phil's a British rider, now living in the Netherlands. When he mentioned that, I finally clued in. I met Phil in Cartagena, and still never clued into the fact that my son, Bryn, and i had met Phil, many months ago at the McDonalds in Sackville NB when he had just arrived in NA to begin his ride. It's a very small world. It all came back to me yesterday when i met him again at DakarMotos and he mentioned he was a brit on a Dutch bike!

Here are the pics from BA I shot this morning

and one photo from yesterday when i was walking around trying to find a cheap place to stay

Hangin' in BA

Kedgi
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #1154
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
have a good day, no need to hurry home...although there have been a couple days in the 40F range, still going from 1 snow event to another...in NE......
when home in NB PM me for some nice dualsport tracks in eastern Me.
Cool

I love riding in Maine.

Kedgi
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #1155
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
dwight:

OH NO ! I'm shedding a tear for you. I am going to miss your SA photos,

but then again, I've never been to Key West.

you must be psychic, I was looking at photo #12 straining to see that drawing on the building, then like magic, photo #13 appears.

What luck to meet Phil again. It was meant to be. He at the start of his journey and you near the end. Well, not the end, I meant the end of this phase.

Relax, refresh and reflect. I'm sure you will be able to find bacon & eggs in that gigantic city.

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote