User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #1261
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Welcome home!

Glad to see your trip come full circle. Enjoy your time home with your lovely bride!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1262
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
Thanks for all your effort. I know ride reports are a lot of work, much appreciated.
My sweetie and I start our great adventure July 1. We have one year to do the dream ride. I hope we can put together a ride report 1/2 as awesome as you have.

Thanks

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1263
25jack
WhateversComfortable

Oddometer: 23
Gps

What GPS maps did you use and which where most useful?

Hopefully Garmin Compatable
25jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #1264
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25jack View Post
What GPS maps did you use and which where most useful?

Hopefully Garmin Compatable
I used all Garmin maps. The one exception being that I bought mapping for Ecuador online from a company whos name I forget.

It would be wise to put your NA maps on one memory card, your SA maps on another, your Ecuador Maps on still another and plug them in as you need them.
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #1265
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
Glad to see your trip come full circle. Enjoy your time home with your lovely bride!
Thanks Ray

I love the picture someone took of Angele and me. It really shows how happy we are together.

Dwight
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #1266
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Thanks for all your effort. I know ride reports are a lot of work, much appreciated.
My sweetie and I start our great adventure July 1. We have one year to do the dream ride. I hope we can put together a ride report 1/2 as awesome as you have.

Thanks

I found the ride report became an addictive habit. When you are by yourself most of the time the ride report becomes a welcome distraction. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #1267
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
You truely are a lucky man, Dwight. And I am truly moved and at the same time relieved you are back with your loved ones.
Putting in a request to the weather god to start spring in your neck of the woods.
Toad
Hey Toad

I regret that we missed a chance to meet in PCB. Maybe next Fall/Winter we'll get the chance. I hope to go through the BAJA next season.

Still a foot or more of snow on the ground here in Shediac, Trusty is in Florida until the 15th. No hurry to get the bike home.

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #1268
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Hey Dude

Congrats on finishing your adventure and having a great time. It can certainly be trying at times.

I'm about a month behind you and discovered because of my own self imposed deadline (if I didn't have one I'd be here for a year) I'm going to have to rush through the last three countries. Doing a bunch of planning yesterday and discovered I'll be doing roughly the route you did after Peru. The difference is, I actually have maps in my GPS.

Take care
Steve
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #1269
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I used all Garmin maps.
Curious about what gps unit you used. Were you happy with it?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #1270
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
great ride report! i spent 5 years in New Minas NS as a kid, and plan to take a ride back up at some point.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #1271
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Hey Dude

Congrats on finishing your adventure and having a great time. It can certainly be trying at times.

I'm about a month behind you and discovered because of my own self imposed deadline (if I didn't have one I'd be here for a year) I'm going to have to rush through the last three countries. Doing a bunch of planning yesterday and discovered I'll be doing roughly the route you did after Peru. The difference is, I actually have maps in my GPS.

Take care
Steve
Thanks buddy

Ride safe.

I'm sure you'll love the Chilean Coast. Arica and Iquique are nicer than Antofagasta. Iquique reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale. It's a big beach city.

I think having maps in your GPS will take some of the adventure out of it, but you'll still have fun

Oh and you will need an adapter for the wall outlets in Chile and and a different one for Argentina. You can pick one up in any hardware store for a couple bucks. Your computer, if it's like mine, can charge on their 220V. you just need an adapter. Most computers and cameras are built to charge on 110 or 220

If you're a golfer, you should arrange to play a round at the sand golf course at the south end of Iquique. I'm not a golfer but I thought that was really cool. The course is in an amazing location right at the Ocean's edge.

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #1272
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Curious about what gps unit you used. Were you happy with it?

I have a Garmin Zumo. I really like it. It's easy to see and to operate with gloves on. Like any GPS it has its limitations but I would find it very hard to ride without it now. A GPS is wonderful when you are navigating big unfamiliar cities.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #1273
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
great ride report! i spent 5 years in New Minas NS as a kid, and plan to take a ride back up at some point.
Cool

If you're up this way send me a PM.

I passed through Asheville last Spring. You are living very near motorcycle heaven, The Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome.

Glad yu enjoyed the RR

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #1274
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks buddy

Ride safe.

I'm sure you'll love the Chilean Coast. Arica and Iquique are nicer than Antofagasta. Iquique reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale. It's a big beach city.

I think having maps in your GPS will take some of the adventure out of it, but you'll still have fun

Oh and you will need an adapter for the wall outlets in Chile and and a different one for Argentina. You can pick one up in any hardware store for a couple bucks. Your computer, if it's like mine, can charge on their 220V. you just need an adapter. Most computers and cameras are built to charge on 110 or 220

If you're a golfer, you should arrange to play a round at the sand golf course at the south end of Iquique. I'm not a golfer but I thought that was really cool. The course is in an amazing location right at the Ocean's edge.

Kedgi
Thanks for all the tips.

Being a gadget freak, I've got adapters coming out the wazoo. But, sounds like I'll have to get a couple more. All my stuff has been fine on the 220 - even a couple of things rated at only 110.

I'm not a golfer but I own golf clubs - even so, may have to check it out.

There is a very small town in BC called Salmo that used to have the Salmo GolfPort - it was basicly a grass landing strip with the golf holes going back and forth across it. It had sand greens. If some guy in his little Cesna wanted to land, he'd buzz the GolfPort first so most of the golfers would get out of the way before landing. Thought it was an efficient use of land.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #1275
Kedgi OP
Banned

Argentinian Pesos

I am stuck with 2090 Argentinian Pesos I didn't know I couldn't exchange here. If anyone wants them, shoot me a PM. I'll happily sell them to you at the black market rate. It would help me out and you'll save some bucks too.

Kedgi