Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #1036
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I race in the upper 3rd of the cars and have passed many bike guys over the past few years at NORRA. My rule of thumb is that if they are sitting down their tired or inexperienced and I use extreme caution. I usually wait as long as I can for a look back or a wave by before passing. Its pretty rare that you have to wait too long, but if theres plenty of room and the bike is riding a consistent line I pass.

I also pay attention to whos starting in front of me and count bikes if there are any. NORRA should be telling the drivers how many bikes are ahead of them and how far; they have the start times so it would be easy. NORRA could also give the option to the bikes to be held without penalty if a car is going to be the next starter on a stage.

If youre riding in the center of a graded road, or an inconsistent line of front of a car, youre going to piss off the car guy. If youre that guy, I want GoPro footage to get you DQd. If youre the guy stopped on course reading his road book, I want you DQd as well.

NORRA gave Buddy is 1:20 back that he spent with the fallen rider, so he won his class. It was the second time he stopped to help during the race. The first time was a rolled truck that he was concerned the occupants wouldnt be able to get out.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #1037
Maineroot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
I think John Volkman (on a Husaberg) was hit by a car on Day 3. Not sure if he is on ADV though.
John Volkman helped us out in Loreto with some parts. When we went to his pit, it was dark and we spent an hour or two doing maintenance with him. At one point the flashlight went across his arm, and I was like- WTF happened to you. He had road rash ALL OVER his body, I mean he was tore up. He calmly explained that he had been hit by a truck on course, then went back to helping us out.

That guy is one tough MO-FO. And one heck of a nice guy.
#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #1038
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
Is Volkman the guy with the badass rallied out blue and yellow Husaberg? He had a mechanical very early day 1 and then continued on his back up bike? If so if anyone knows how to reach him please PM me. My co rider went off the edge of the course day 2 ss1 and that guy stopped for 20 minutes to help us drag the bike, it was a seemingly impossible task, but with his help, hermanos Gomez, and a guy named Brandon we were able to get it done. If anyone knows Brandon I'd love his email too. We would not have been able to get back on track were it not for the precious time and effort that they spared. I am very grateful for their efforts and was not able to properly thank them.
JohhnyMoto - That was me, and I was glad to help out. I'm still surprised we managed to get that bike up the cliff and up to the road. Hopefully, your ride went well after that...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #1039
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineroot View Post
that guy is one tough mo-fo. And one heck of a nice guy.
+1
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #1040
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post
John Volkman helped us out in Loreto with some parts. When we went to his pit, it was dark and we spent an hour or two doing maintenance with him. At one point the flashlight went across his arm, and I was like- WTF happened to you. He had road rash ALL OVER his body, I mean he was tore up. He calmly explained that he had been hit by a truck on course, then went back to helping us out.

He gave me a set of vice grips to use for my shifter at the mag 7 pit before La Purisma. He was working on his bike, I realize now it was because he was hit.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #1041
craftyboy
Ed

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
My co rider went off the edge of the course day 2 ss1 and that guy stopped for 20 minutes to help us drag the bike, it was a seemingly impossible task, but with his help, hermanos Gomez, and a guy named Brandon we were able to get it done. If anyone knows Brandon I'd love his email too. We would not have been able to get back on track were it not for the precious time and effort that they spared. I am very grateful for their efforts and was not able to properly thank them.

I think I helped you get the bike up the cliff also. I was the big guy on the Honda #47. Did it have a bajabound sticker on the front fender? We would count 1,2,3 Lift! until we got it up and on the trail. It took 5 of us to get it out.

Ed

edcrane.com
craftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #1042
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post

At the start of the race on the lake bed I went over to John & introduced myself. I told him we must be the two oldest idiots in the race. John's 61 & I'll be 65 next month. Later I found out there was a guy from Mass. who is 69!(He didn't finish.) Anyway I got into the hot whirlpool with John the day after the end of the race at Cabo Azul. I couldn't believe it. He really was tore up. He is one tough SOB. I talked to his wife Suzanne when we left the next day. She was PISSED. I've only just met these people but I would be honored to have them for friends. That's the thing about racing in Baja. It takes a special breed. The bonding & camaraderie are almost immediate. You feel like you've known these people all your life. Pretty simple really. The're just like you!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1043
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post
I race in the upper 3rd of the cars and have passed many bike guys over the past few years at NORRA. My rule of thumb is that if they are sitting down their tired or inexperienced and I use extreme caution. I usually wait as long as I can for a look back or a wave by before passing. Its pretty rare that you have to wait too long, but if theres plenty of room and the bike is riding a consistent line I pass.

I also pay attention to whos starting in front of me and count bikes if there are any. NORRA should be telling the drivers how many bikes are ahead of them and how far; they have the start times so it would be easy. NORRA could also give the option to the bikes to be held without penalty if a car is going to be the next starter on a stage.

If youre riding in the center of a graded road, or an inconsistent line of front of a car, youre going to piss off the car guy. If youre that guy, I want GoPro footage to get you DQd. If youre the guy stopped on course reading his road book, I want you DQd as well.

NORRA gave Buddy is 1:20 back that he spent with the fallen rider, so he won his class. It was the second time he stopped to help during the race. The first time was a rolled truck that he was concerned the occupants wouldnt be able to get out.
I don't know if you know the Feldkamps but Buddy Jr. is a great guy. He wouldn't have cared if he got the penalty or not. BTW so's his Dad!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #1044
Baja535
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
At the start of the race on the lake bed I went over to John & introduced myself. I told him we must be the two oldest idiots in the race. John's 61 & I'll be 65 next month. Later I found out there was a guy from Mass. who is 69!(He didn't finish.) Anyway I got into the hot whirlpool with John the day after the end of the race at Cabo Azul. I couldn't believe it. He really was tore up. He is one tough SOB. I talked to his wife Suzanne when we left the next day. She was PISSED. I've only just met these people but I would be honored to have them for friends. That's the thing about racing in Baja. It takes a special breed. The bonding & camaraderie are almost immediate. You feel like you've known these people all your life. Pretty simple really. The're just like you!
John is my brother in law. I didn't see the incident because I was racing my 68 Bronco and a bit behind the bikes and faster cars/trucks. What I do know is that John is indeed one tough SOB. When we got to Cabo he was limping and decided to go and get his leg checked out. Turns out he finished day 2 and then rode day 3 and 4 with a broken fibula. I checked out his boot where the car hit him and noticed he's missing the buckles. I guess they weren't much of a match for a 35" BFG. But he was...and fortunately still is.
Baja535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #1045
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
TRACKSIDE Photo has Pic up
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #1046
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
I don't know if you know the Feldkamps but Buddy Jr. is a great guy. He wouldn't have cared if he got the penalty or not. BTW so's his Dad!
AGREED, I was trying to pass on he's a great guy(not that I needed too) for doing what he did(twice). I race in the same class, broke early but continued on with another team. I was pulling for Buddy and the Bel Ray Bullet. I think NORRA took his finishing position for the stage prior and applied it to the effected stage.

One of the best things about NORRA is the great people and why most of them are there. This year there were too many incidents, apparently all avoidable with some common sense.

az45 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 07:27 AM
az45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1047
Ja-na-na
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Fund for Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
I appreciate the help KN! Yes I think a new thread for this would be appropriate. So far we are at $725.00 in donations with a few sending in checks as well. We have had a great start with 6 people donating so far.
All of these funds will be given directly to Dawna in a few weeks in the form of a check.
I'm in . Tell me where to send the check. Thanks for helping people that cant help themselves
RIP
JV
Ja-na-na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1048
desert650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Can someone please post info on where we can send a check to Jimmy's family.

Myself and my motorcycle club would like to help. thanks!
desert650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1049
BAZZER450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
For Jimmy

Here is the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
In light of the news, as Jimmy was a brother to many in the PNW, I am putting a donation together to be given to the family.

As said by Harold of Giant Loop Moto.

Jimmy was a "grab life by the handlebars" guy, and his spark will be sorely missed by all those who were touched its glow. Prayers and blessing to Jimmy's family.

If you are interested in contributing to the family in any way please email me at:

Alex@konflictmotorsports.com
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #1050
desert650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks!
desert650 is offline   Reply With Quote