Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1066
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
Look for news about this fall's 3 day rally co-sponored with CODE this week...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #1067
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,965
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #1068
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I’m still pretty serious about building a device that would automatically warn both the slower vehicle ahead and the faster vehicle coming up from behind about the impending pass (via a super loud beeper on each race vehicle). This would give the guy ahead the knowledge that something is coming up from behind, and give some time to find a safe place to move over. And the faster guy behind would know a race vehicle was up ahead even if he doesn’t see it. This doesn’t completely solve the dangerous driver problem, but it could significantly lessen the risk since the guy ahead would know something is coming, and have time to move over.

What’s holding me back is that the idea of such a warning device doesn’t seem to interest enough of the decision makers. It would also add some cost to the event, maybe $50 to $100 rental fee per vehicle per race (with many additional useful features besides the pass warning). As always, I’m interested in feedback on this concept.
A great proximity alert has already been developed here in Australia and is in use, if you want the contact who has done it and is looking at getting them out to events PM me, pretty sure the cost is lower than you think as well
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #1069
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
A great proximity alert has already been developed here in Australia and is in use, if you want the contact who has done it and is looking at getting them out to events PM me, pretty sure the cost is lower than you think as well
PM sent.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #1070
baja-chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
I would like that contact as well please.

Send it to cwilson@norra.com

Thanks!
baja-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #1071
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Another one (rallycat, I think) has already been built and is used at targa newfoundland.

Anders
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #1072
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
Another one (rallycat, I think) has already been built and is used at targa newfoundland.
I looked up the RallyCat. Their website (www.rallycat.ca) doesn't seem to exist anymore. I did find this interesting discussion about it, from 2004:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/a...p/t-2600.html?
Unfortunately I could not find any more recent information. Its function sounds similar to the Dakar Sentinel, IRC Pass Alert, and the Australian device.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1073
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,443
I didn't see this here so...

http://www.norra.com/mexican500.php
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1074
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
How would it differentiate between a pass and two vehicles or riders following each other? Closing speed?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1075
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
How would it differentiate between a pass and two vehicles or riders following each other? Closing speed?
That's my approach. Anything less than say 5 or 10 mph CLOSING speed is just close racing, so no automatic warning would be given, only manual (push the button) warning if desired. Plus other automatic "smart" stuff, like indicating if the warning is coming from ahead or behind, so you know to either move over for what's coming quickly from behind, or watch out for what's ahead.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #1076
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
any up dates??
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #1077
Maineroot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Ok gents.
Here is the "teaser" for the film project that Andrew put together while we were down racing the Mexican 1000 this year.

http://beefandpiemedia.com/client/me...LowRes_Web.mov
#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1078
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,196
Very cool...and very professional...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #1079
Johnnymoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I just had the pleasure of watching the film. Its seriously awesome. The production quality is off the charts, and man it brought me right back to the race. Great job Team Austin + "Camera Guy" (Tim Morton refused to call him by his given name of Andrew, preferring "camera guy" moniker....) Too cool.

2014 looks to be a riot in the making!

Heads up to anyone that needs support Tim is in again for next year. We have 5 guys from Chicago, plus Vanscourt on the Triumph/Motoworks Tiger 800 Baja Rally edition that he'll be supporting, and he's capable of taking several more riders.

For any of you that are considering this rally for the 1st time I would highly recommend doing support with Tim, he's BajaBoundMoto on here, he knows the program, makes it easy, and is super reasonable on the $$$ side. Plus he's a good dude. And if you need to feel better about the size of your wiener taking a leak next to him and taking a peek is worth the price of admission. I didnt know they made em that small!

Jokes aside we are already waist deep in prep for next year. Dave at RMS sold my Dakar dream bike to some real rally guy that's doing some rally in South America so I'll be back on the DRZ. We have three more Chicago guys on DRZ's so the Lightweight Modern class will be hotly contested.

Later - Johnny
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #1080
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
I just had the pleasure of watching the film. Its seriously awesome. The production quality is off the charts, and man it brought me right back to the race. Great job Team Austin + "Camera Guy" (Tim Morton refused to call him by his given name of Andrew, preferring "camera guy" moniker....) Too cool.

2014 looks to be a riot in the making!

Heads up to anyone that needs support Tim is in again for next year. We have 5 guys from Chicago, plus Vanscourt on the Triumph/Motoworks Tiger 800 Baja Rally edition that he'll be supporting, and he's capable of taking several more riders.

For any of you that are considering this rally for the 1st time I would highly recommend doing support with Tim, he's BajaBoundMoto on here, he knows the program, makes it easy, and is super reasonable on the $$$ side. Plus he's a good dude. And if you need to feel better about the size of your wiener taking a leak next to him and taking a peek is worth the price of admission. I didnt know they made em that small!

Jokes aside we are already waist deep in prep for next year. Dave at RMS sold my Dakar dream bike to some real rally guy that's doing some rally in South America so I'll be back on the DRZ. We have three more Chicago guys on DRZ's so the Lightweight Modern class will be hotly contested.

Later - Johnny
Johnny I'll make you a deal on a rally set up Gay-TM
My shoulders won't allow me to do it solo any more but I'm going to try and go as part of a support crew, I guess weiner holder for Tim is out
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote