User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Acerbis 5.8 tank install on XR650L

I put about 10,000 miles on my Acerbis tank install this year with some mild off roading. I had the top mount bolt break in half, the bottom mount either fall off completely or loosen the nutserts in the plastic due to excessive load and vibration. So I set out to improve the mounting methodology will still using the basic components provided with the bike and tank.
13' XR650L --> TrailTech 8" Race Light, Symtec Grip Heat, Acerbis 5.8 Tank, CycleRacks Tail Rack, Corbin & Toolbag "Seat", Wolfman/Pelican, XR's Oil Temp, Moose XRR Sprocket & Chain, 4 Yr. old mod, Dave's Mod, Acerbis handguards
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Rear mount

The rear mount came with a spacer and told you to reuse the stock bowl washer. I threw these out and used a plain flat washer and a lock washer under the nut. This forces the tank to rest on the rubber of the stock tank mount. I only tests this for 3,000 miles. So far so good. Using the parts they told you to use fatigues the bolt causing it to break off at the top of the welded nutsert.

13' XR650L --> TrailTech 8" Race Light, Symtec Grip Heat, Acerbis 5.8 Tank, CycleRacks Tail Rack, Corbin & Toolbag "Seat", Wolfman/Pelican, XR's Oil Temp, Moose XRR Sprocket & Chain, 4 Yr. old mod, Dave's Mod, Acerbis handguards
Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Wing mounts

So the wing mounts need lock washers. Period. Also the stock mount holes on the tank. Lock washers. This picture shows the tank brackets on the back side of the wing mounts, they really should be on the front.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Drill out the broken off bolt and use an easy out. Replace with a grade 8 bolt or equivalent, what could be easier. I usually never use the stock bolts with I'm replacing parts or accessories on my bikes, just for the reasons you have now. I re-engineer just about every aftermarket accessory for my bikes, don't really have problems after this is done.

John

trainman screwed with this post 11-09-2014 at 07:51 PM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Rubber is better than steel

Next, I had to take some weight off of the front tank brackets going down to the wing. I removed the stock tank rubbers from the stock location where they do little to support the tank, mainly just stretching the inside curves and allowing the weird steel bracket under the tank middle to beat the tar out of the tank in that area. Here is the tank where the steel bracket was tearing it up.

I think the bracket is supposed to support the tank under the flat shelf but the bracket was doing a poor job. Our modification is going to place the stock rubber mounts under these points on the tank to carry a lot of the weight.

Firestone screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 06:23 AM
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Got it out no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Drill out the broken off bolt and use an easy out. Replace with a grade 8 bolt or equivalent, what could be easier. I usually never use the stock bolts with I'm replacing parts or accessories on my bikes, just for the reasons you have now.

John
It was easy to drill out. My picture shows how to do it doesn't stress break again. Grade 8 sounds good though!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Next step

So I decided that I would adapt the stock rubber mounts to the steel bracket under the tank to give it some real support. I removed the steel bracket and cut it down so that it would still fit between the tank sides with the stock rubbers attached to the ends. Here are all the pieces.

The nuts have to be very thin. I took a normal 3/8 nut and cut it in half to make two nuts. I used a band saw and a vise. You may be able to use a jam nut from the hardware store they are thinner than normal washers. This keeps the nuts from rubbing the tank as they have to recess inside of the rubber mounts.

Firestone screwed with this post 11-09-2014 at 08:00 PM
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Cut the lengths

Here are the dimensions for the bracket and the 3/8" allthread. I cut the bracket a little crooked and using the two lock washers it was about perfect. The lock washers should help keep the mounts from turning the nuts out under vibration. After 3,000 miles I couldn't tell that they had move but you should check yours at least a couple times after install to make sure they'd on back off. Would be a bad day if the nuts rubbed a hole in you tank. Not worse than the original bracket rubbing though!

As you can see in the post above the lock washer goes on the inside of the rubber mount between it and the metal bracket.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Bolt it up

So after you assemble it, with nuts outside the rubber mounts and lock washers inside, bolt it back on the bike and it should look like this:

Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Your done

Tighten it hand tight by twisting both rubber mounts.. No tools needed. The nuts will dig into rubber and go flush. The rubber will turn the nuts for you.

Re mount the tank and see how it holds up. I'd love to hear how this works out for other folks. I am switching to a smaller tank for technical reasons and can't test it further at this time.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Tighten it hand tight by twisting both rubber mounts.. No tools needed. The nuts will dig into rubber and go flush. The rubber will turn the nuts for you.

Re mount the tank and see how it holds up. I'd love to hear how this works out for other folks. I am switching to a smaller tank for technical reasons and can't test it further at this time.

What about the steel knobs where the rubber mounts go originaly? did you just leave them bare? I would be worried about them wearing a hole in the tank.

I really don't like how the Acerbis mounts up. They could have designed it a lot better.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Looks like a good idea. I agree with Alvin though, may be a good idea to grind off the steel pins where the rubber mounts used to go. Or at least cover them with some more rubber.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Yes

I agree, some plastic or rubber caps such as vacuum tee plugs from the auto parts store. I meant to mention that before good catch guys
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Firestone OP
RFVC Adventurer

Cry

If anyone else tries this it would be nice to know how it goes..
Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,361
I would just order two more of the rubber things.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote