User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Mr. Magoo OP
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
Extended Warranty? 2008 ford f250 6.4td

I have a 2008 Ford Super Duty F250 with the 6.4 liter turbodiesel engine. Approximately 31,000 miles. It is used almost exclusively for pulling a large, heavy gooseneck trailer.

I have about 2 months of factory warranty left. I'm considering purchasing, from Ford, an extended warranty as repairs on these beasts a very expensive.

Any thoughts on whether to buy the warranty or not are appreciated. I plan on keeping the truck at least 5 more years.

Thanks.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
I hope the 6.4 is better than the 6.0. I have a friend with one of them, the cab has been off like 5 times so far. Think he has a quiet rattle free ride? Nope. So yes, I would get one.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

Oddometer: 5,191
What are they charging for it? I had one on my '03 SD and it paid for itself due to ball joint and hub bearing failures. All it cost me was 2 $150.00 deductible payments.

Not sure if Ford does it but my I have the extended warranty on one of my Subarus' and if you don't need to use it they reimburse you most of the initial cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
Not sure if Ford does it but my I have the extended warranty on one of my Subarus' and if you don't need to use it they reimburse you most of the initial cost.
Me too. I hope i don't need it. My wife is a big time believer in extended warranties. we haven't had to use one yet, but it would figure that as soon as we didn't get one it would be needed.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
I have two 6.4L in my shop now both with high pressure fuel pumps out. That is a $3,000.00 job unless it came apart and trashed the rest of the fuel system and you won't know that till you dive into it. If so you can add another $3,000.00 to that job. If you are going to keep it another 5 years I would but stay away from the aftermarket warranties they suck for the most part.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NDEBT screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 04:22 PM
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Read the fine print carefully. Is the warranty offered by THE Ford company? or maybe an offer from your local dealership? Run away from any aftermarket deals.

I put an aftermarket warranty 7yr on my GMC in 2004. Company then went out of business

Got lucky, after 4 yrs of class action suit it was handed over to another company. When the stupid unitized front wheel bearing went out it was covered. Easily exceeded what I paid for the warranty. But I would have been SOL if the lawsuit ended differently.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Read the fine print carefully. Is the warranty offered by THE Ford company? or maybe an offer from your local dealership? Run away from any aftermarket deals.

I put an aftermarket warranty 7yr on my GMC in 2004. Company then went out of business

Got lucky, after 4 yrs of class action suit it was handed over to another company. When the stupid unitized front wheel bearing went out it was covered. Easily exceeded what I paid for the warranty. But I would have been SOL if the lawsuit ended differently.

That is why I posted that above. I fight with aftermarket warranties it seems every day and yes my work place sells them on non ford stuff there is no choice The warranty companies hate me because I tell the customer straight up. I will not tell someone we put a new engine in if the warranty company would only approve a salvage engine.That is something most most people don't think about.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,881
Remember they are not really warranties but rather service contracts.

We bought a cpo car a couple of years back late model car lease return with high miles.
Since it was a cpo and we got it at a dealer we got the factory extended deal. Literally the first time I've ever got one and I rolled away from the dealer feeling like I had been had. And I had. The car wasn't really checked over and now we are way way ahead of the game with the contract. New half shafts, boots, struts steering pump.

It sounds like the op has had this truck since new.
That's the best judge of its reliability.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Remember they are not really warranties but rather service contracts.

We bought a cpo car a couple of years back late model car lease return with high miles.
Since it was a cpo and we got it at a dealer we got the factory extended deal. Literally the first time I've ever got one and I rolled away from the dealer feeling like I had been had. And I had. The car wasn't really checked over and now we are way way ahead of the game with the contract. New half shafts, boots, struts steering pump.

It sounds like the op has had this truck since new.
That's the best judge of its reliability.
If he gets a Ford contract it will have to go throhgh an inspection. It will be documented but get a copy.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
street tracker
High, wide, and handsome

Oddometer: 1,450
Do it. I don't know one 6.4 owner who has made it even out of the OEM powertrain warranty without some serious failure (i.e. HP pumps, cylinder heads, complete replacements.)

http://www.gearheadsgarage.com
street tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Mr. Magoo OP
Follow me; I'm lost!

Thanks very much for the helpful posts. The Ford extended service plan will cost about $3000 for an additional 5 years (PremiumCARE500+ plan). I don' t put a lot of miles on the truck but they are all miles pulling a heavy load.

I hate to write the check but will not be ready to get another truck for about 5 yrs. It's been a good truck so far. I bought it new.

I have about a month to decide.

Ford does require the inspection. This Truck is completely stock.

Mr. Magoo screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 04:05 AM
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 829
Just a thought, try this place for pricing on line for the Ford ESP. I would not be without an extended warranty on a diesel truck.

http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/index.cfm
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,881
What dies it cover and how much is the deductible. Those are the things to pay attention to.
3k is a lot to spend up front. Personally if I had not had a lot of trouble and there isn't a lot of expensive things coming up then it might be a good idea to put that 3k away invest it even. Then if something goes south you have a decent side amount to fix it and if nothing goes wrong you have some extra money to play with.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
they have a big reputation for eating their turbos. if you're comfortable bolting one in & out. i'd skip it
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Mr. Magoo OP
Follow me; I'm lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
What dies it cover and how much is the deductible. ...

$100 deductible on this one. Pretty much bumper to bumper coverage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: