User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,245
Question So, what topo software do you use?

Hello. Getting ready for another adventure in a month or so, my first with my brand new GPSMAP 60cs. Looking at Oregon, NoCal, Nev, Utah, Idaho and Wash. So what map software do you use? I'm currently looking at US Topo, US Topo 24k Nat. Parks, and one or two on e-bay without the garmin name. Any sugestions? For example, something with the Lost Coast Usal road and King Peak road, and the Death Valley maps of roads like the Steel Pass and Teakettle junction.The US Topo24k West sounds good, but is more expensive than the three disk US Topo covering the entire USA. Whats the diference in detail, and is it worth it?
Thanx!
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
whetstone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
RegTopo vs 24kTopo

The Topo 24k sets from Garmin don't include any info outside of national parks. You can go to garmin's website and look at what coverage you get with the various packages.

The Regular topo from Garmin include lower detail, but for the entire US. Both could be useful if you selectively load. Look thru the garmin site and if you have specific questions on detail level I can look at the regular garmin software for you and send you a screen capture of the detail for an area.

Steve
whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Thanx for the reply Whetstone. I did as you sugested, and i think i'll have to go with both to satisfy my needs.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,307
I have the US Topo and it is piss-poor for roads data. Everything is grossly out of date with wildly varying detail. I've come across numerous PAVED roads that aren't in Topo, for example.

The big thing Topo gives you is elevation contours. Nice for hiking, but very limited usefulness for motorcycling - you won't be able to see them and read them very well on the tiny 60CS screen anyway. And the map sizes are much bigger with all the elevation data. You can chew up the 54MB of memory you have really fast with topo map sets.

Outside of National Parks, I'd either go Roads and Rec or (despite the misleading name) City Select. And since you have a 60CS which does auto-routing, I'd go City Select since Roads and Rec doesn't auto-route. I use City Select for my backwoods touring and while it isn't perfect, it's pretty darn good.

The suggestion to use the Garmin site to see if it has the roads you're interested in is a good one.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 AM   #5
Karl in NY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I have the US Topo and it is piss-poor for roads data. Everything is grossly out of date with wildly varying detail. I've come across numerous PAVED roads that aren't in Topo, for example.
I totally agree. There are roads around here which were added or changed 20 years ago that do not appear on Topo. Conversely, there are dirt roads on Topo that simply don't exist anymore...gone with no trace that they ever did exist.

It appears that much of Topo is decades old.
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

...interesting. I just checked out both City Select and Metro Guide, and both show the Usal rd. on the NoCal Lost Coast. Neither US Topo or US Topo 24k show this road. You guys are right, City Select seems to be the way to go, although it didn't show the Steel Pass in D.Valley. Well, can't have your cake and eat it, right!?! Me thinks City Select is the way to go..off to E-Bay i go!!