Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
FatChance OP
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
Oregon 450 or eTrex 30?

I already have an old 276C and a new Montana 600 for my main GPS needs on my motorcycles and in my truck. I am looking for another GPS that is smaller than the Montana for general use for hiking, backcountry skiing and as a backup or alternative to the Montana in my wife's vehicle. I am considering the Garmin Oregon 450 and eTrex 30. I don't need a camera or too many bells and whistles, just a simple yet competent unit that will fit in my pocket with a good screen and interface. The size factor is a big deal so something like the 62S with the big antenna would not work. I want to stay under $300.

I already have CNNA 2012.4 on a memory card for my Montana so I think I can use it in either one of these two units for on-road routing if needed. In a like manner, I would probably get the 24K topo map for this area on a memory card for the new unit so I could also use it on the Montana if needed (when not using CNNA, of course). I like the larger screen on the Oregon 450 but the smaller non-touch screen on the eTrex seems better in bright light. They are both available from GPSCity for within $30 of each other, so the price is not much of an issue between the two. The eTrex is apparently the newer technology of the two.

Which of these two would you recommend for these uses? Anything else that would work beyond these two?

Edit: I suppose I should add the eTrex 20 to my list as I probably don't think the electronic compass or barometric altimeter are worth the extra $100+...

Thanks!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 09:49 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
FatChance OP
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
FWIW, I got the eTrex 20 because it best met my requirements and it is just what I wanted! Great gps!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote