Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetfghtR View Post
I am sold on Triumphs after seeing this...

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s&hd=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetfghtR View Post
I had no idea triumphs were that beast....no way a GS can perform like that. (please don't shoot me GS people)
Well, you guys are easily sold, any of the beasts regularly discussed here could make such a video.

Great vid tho'
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,656
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
any of the beasts regularly discussed here could make such a video.
Maybe a few models here could complete the task, but in no way look as good doing it
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Maybe a few models here could complete the task, but in no way look as good doing it
I wasn't knocking the 800xc, it's a great bike. I was more trying to point out that if you are swayed by a slick video, then almost any bike/manufacturer can sell you.

But while the 800xc is one of the more dirt capable adv bikes, these talented guys could have gotten to all the same places and gotten pretty much the same shots on any similarly modded vStrom, Tenere, MultiStrada or even a Versys, given the same type of tires. Yes, a 21" wheel, more travel and higher ground clearance helps, but for these guys, they would not be deal breakers.

Yes, rims would be bent and the bikes would be thoroughly damaged, just like the XC's likely were, but the script would still have been followed and video would have made with perhaps just a little more tape ending up on the cutting room floor.

As far as looking good, I'd lean towards the Multistrada Pikes Peak, but behold...

Too bad the locations were faked.

glasswave screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 02:37 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I wasn't knocking the 800xc, it's a great bike. I was more trying to point out that if you are swayed by a slick video, then almost any bike/manufacturer can sell you.

But while the 800xc is one of the more dirt capable adv bikes, these talented guy could have gotten to all the same places an gotten pretty much the same shots on any similarly modded vStrom, Tenere, MultiStrada or even a Versys, given the same type of tires. Yes, a 21" wheel, more travel and higher ground clearance helps, but for these guys, they would not be deal breakers.

Yes, rims would be bent and the bikes would be thoroughly damaged, just like the XC's likely were, but the script would still have been followed and video would have made with perhaps just a little more tape ending up on the cutting room floor.

As far as looking good, I'd lean towards the Multistrada Pikes Peak, but behold...

Too bad the locations were faked.
Good points, although I bought months before this movie came out. This was just well documented confirmation I made the right choice. Now I've been included (I think by the dealership) in a Icon mail listing...Keep getting all this cool swag

Damn IT!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Both bikes were chain driven with aftermarket swing arms. They were definitely highly modded bikes. Sick...but highly modded none the less.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
booth99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black09JK View Post
Both bikes were chain driven with aftermarket swing arms. They were definitely highly modded bikes. Sick...but highly modded none the less.
Those aftermarket swing arms look exactly like the stock swing arm on my chain driven 800XC. Only mods I can see are ohlins suspenion , tires, slip on exhaust, skid plate and a bad paint job.

booth99 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 06:15 AM
booth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #22
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Me and my friends reviewed those videos in details (loved it) and despite I would not base choice of bike on video most of allegations in some posts above bear no relation to reality. Specially comment about "swingarm and chain drive" - because Tiger 800 DOES have chain drive and this swingarm! Stock, for God sake

There was no "many bikes to go through" as you can easily idenitfy them on video. I see just 2 same bikes through, unless they can perfectly match bad paintjob and some components location etc.
There is not much mods to bikes either. Basically - simple basic mods available no anyone, as mentioned by Booth99. Except at least 1 of 2 bikea does not sport Ohlins front even. Just shock. Watch video and you'll see.

Saying that - it is in riders of course.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #23
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post

No matter what brand of bikes were used in that shoot, anyone that buys a new bike based upon that is completely out of their mind...but to each his/her own.
On that basis there's not much you can say about all the guys that went out and purchased BMW's after watching Charlie and Ewan!

That said, it's hard not to be impressed by the Tiger XC.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
Yani
b00b

Oddometer: 60
Was talking to the owner of the moto shop I go to about this video. He claims that when the icon rep was at his shop he told him that they used 4 bikes and that there was Triumph mechanics on site during the whole thing pulling their hair out and wrenching on them. He also claimed the rep told him they filmed it all in Oregon.

Just some scuttlebutt though. Don't know how true it is

And you can no longer tell people about our fried pickles!
Yani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

It's not difficult to guess it was not Dakar or Chile :) It was specially made kinda..clear in video, no? It takes a bit longer than helicopter ride to get to Brazil or Chile...

There is no doubt with this kind of riding they did have constant tech support on the ground etc.
But even if they used 4 bikes - ones in at least 90% of shots where you can make it out are same two by looks of it. Perhaps they messed up 2 first, then used 2 spare to make clean shots. I wonder how many riders they used :)

For me it was more about bikes reaction to that kind of terrain and speeds. Kinda surprisingly composed. I guess many other bikes would look same good in similar video.
One thing they failed to do - to properly promote their gear...despite that was objective
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
Those aftermarket swing arms look exactly like the stock swing arm on my chain driven 800XC. Only mods I can see are ohlins suspenion , tires, slip on exhaust, skid plate and a bad paint job.

My mistake. I just read on Triumphs website that they were 800XC's in the vid. I assumed they were 1200's.
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
It's not difficult to guess it was not Dakar or Chile :) It was specially made kinda..clear in video, no? It takes a bit longer than helicopter ride to get to Brazil or Chile...

But even if they used 4 bikes - ones in at least 90% of shots where you can make it out are same two by looks of it. Perhaps they messed up 2 first, then used 2 spare to make clean shots. I wonder how many riders they used :)
--------------
Check out the credits at the end for locations and rider's names. Great riding on quite close to stock bikes. Not like "did you see a Camray won a NASCAR race last night?" The "Camray" had a stock nameplate on the front...nothing else was stock.
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
AlaskaFish
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cool2

The helicopter used in the film is one that is currently based right here in Oregon. Plus a lot of the countryside shots could be Oregon from the looks of them.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
Was talking to the owner of the moto shop I go to about this video. He claims that when the icon rep was at his shop he told him that they used 4 bikes and that there was Triumph mechanics on site during the whole thing pulling their hair out and wrenching on them. He also claimed the rep told him they filmed it all in Oregon.

Just some scuttlebutt though. Don't know how true it is
AlaskaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
High Desert Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post

There is no doubt with this kind of riding they did have constant tech support on the ground etc.

For me it was more about bikes reaction to that kind of terrain and speeds. Kinda surprisingly composed. I guess many other bikes would look same good in similar video.
One thing they failed to do - to properly promote their gear...despite that was objective
They got my attention. I've been looking for some good waterproof gear, as it looks like I'll be commuting all winter via motorsickle. About 15 minutes in I paused the movie and googled Icon Raiden.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #30
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Well, in this case I must admit - this is full success :) not only good video but objective achieved.

BTW - one of guys I know tested that jacket in real life by wearing it on long distance tour (ending in Finland) this summer and it held good - except for when it was hot. Seems to be unsuitable for hot days.