DDM customer service

am absolutely sure I did read about it here
but 'search' did not come up with anything DDM, HID or customer service
maybe 'search' took the day off

so I ordered a DDM 35W & 55W Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit
and this is what I got:

puzzled I called DDMs customer service and asked if they sent me the wrong kit
no, the car harness is what comes with the motorcycle kit
and if I chop off the 3+ft of useless cable and connectors any warranty will be void
no, they don't care how I manage to squeeze all that stuff under my dual sport cowling - the voice on the phone sounded very annoyed
it is not their problem how I connect the kit to the battery in the back, as long as I do not alter the car-connector on the red wire and on the ground wire, if I do so any warranty will be void
and the free-flying fuse not being waterprove is not their problem either, if I was to replace with a motorcycle appropritate fuse holder any warranty will be void
so that annoyed voice told me, he never had anyone complain about any of this and he could not help me with this, since it seemed to be my personal problem

don't get me wrong, the HID puts out a lot of light and I like it
what ticked me off was the fact that they sell a car harness labeled as 'Single Hi/Lo Motorcycle HID Kit' and then tell you it's your own fault if you expect something motorcycle specific and that they don't care if their description is not clear about it, no matter what you'll loose your warranty if you fumble the car harness in your bike
very helpful customer service
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,354
I hear you but those kits are $25, I've bought multiple car units just to have singles and a back up. The high voltage leads you can't screw around with but the regular 12v stuff cut away. I can't imagine it would be worth it to send it back under warranty anyways, thats why I bought two

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Timely post, I was just about to order from them but was hesitant due to the very low price. I see some other kits online that are a little more but have metal ballasts.

Apart from the Customer service, how does the quality of the components seem in the DDM kit?

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
fiep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
those kits are $25
in theory
practically I need the mentioned hi/lo for my poo'lil'dual sport
by the time I paid shipping from China the DDM kit was more than the kits Cycle Gear offered in their last flyer, only advantage: I could pick my light color
if I did send back this kit I would have payed $25 (shipping) for nothing
so I hacked the harness anyways

still
#1 they lie about the product, which
#2 forces you to adapt the harness, so you do not even have the option/illusion of warranty, plus
#3 their customer service was most unhelpful and unfriendly to outright rude

James, I do not know, it is brighter than the stock XR250L H4
and it does not fit under the stock cowling, not even with the extra cable hacked off, it so far worked for 250miles,
no idea how long it will work and no idea if others work better or not,
no idea if others are plug and play instead of "let's get the solder iron out"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
sailah
Lampin' it

It would be impossible to have anything plug n play for so many bikes. Unless it's the target r1 crowd.

I've been running their lights and ballast on both my project bikes for a year now with zero issues. Both required modifying the harness to fit which usually meant shortening the wires.

I never had to deal with their customer service but because of the dangerous voltage in the ballast I can see where the cya statement comes from. Can you imagine if you shocked yourself and said that the customer service guys told you to do it?

A little common sense goes a long way especially when you shop on price

I've been very pleased with my ddm parts but I recognize that they are made in china and I bought spares accordingly.

Nessmuk
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
I have nothing against their products,once installed mine have been fine for 3 years now.But the customer service....OUCH! I don't know how much time I spent "on hold" with them, way too much. And by the time I got to talk to a person, they did not have a clue. Even getting my account info seemed difficult and once that was done, even trying to get the person's name so I could talk to the same again the next day.....OUCH!

Is their "Chat Line" still offline?....been like that for a couple years.

But they are cheap....find someone who can use such a kit and sell it for $20.00, that way you don't loose much and save on much aggravation.

By the time I finally got my kits....4 of them, I did not care much about warranty anymore and quickly hacked into them to suit my needs.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
fiep OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
hmmm, had I "shopped on price" I would have bought from Cycle Gear

had they honestly stated, that they sell a car kit you can hack into fitting a motorcycle I probably would have bought it anyways
but
the lying and the tone of their customer service was enough to trigger this thread

had the customer service person kept a friendly tone when I asked if they shipped the wrong kit - different story
had he explained why I should not hack the harness - different story
being put on hold with a 'please' and 'thanks' sprinkled in - no problem
barking that there was a picture of the kit online (there are lot's of pictures wth no descriptions online) - not so nice
when I asked what to do with all the extra cable that was useless and did not fit under the cowling I still had a positive attitude, then I got barked at, that the customer service guy did not care and my cowling was none of his concerns - wait a second, did this fellow pick the right job for his personality or did I talk to a disgruntled janitor, who watched the phone while the customer service person stepped out for a moment? - don't need that, really don't need that at all
my reply to the customer service person's "was that all?" was a "I guess so, thank you and I'll spread the word"
which I herewith did
end of story for me
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,815
Call them every day for the next week and tell them to phuck off. get really abusive and nasty. It won't do any good, but it might be fun to just give it back a little.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Call them every day for the next week and tell them to phuck off. get really abusive and nasty. It won't do any good, but it might be fun to just give it back a little.
Tell your parents to record sesame street and watch that instead.

Nessmuk
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Tell your parents to record sesame street and watch that instead.
Sounds like you support and defend rude, shitty service then. Or maybe the type to just roll over and take it. Sorry your parents raised such a poosie.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Sounds like you support and defend rude, shitty service then. Or maybe the type to just roll over and take it. Sorry your parents raised such a poosie.

Nah, I'm just not a 6 year old and know how to use a pair of wire strippers

Nessmuk
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,659
An HID kit with Hi/Low for $25?? Got a link???

I'm not finding them that cheap.....

Oh, this thread was supposed to drive me away from buying one of these kits, wasn't it?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote