User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
fetchfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
DIY waterproof saddlebags

Here's a pic of the saddlebags I'm using on my trip around New Zealand's South Island.

I just brought some sea to summit big river dry bags with strap holders. Then made a simple alu frame that bolts on the top rack and keeps the bags off the exhaust. The bags are strapped across the top like wolfman bags and to the bottom of the frame.

They hold 20 liters each. But I don't think I'll fill them completely as the frame isn't completely rigid.
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
I was just thinking of this because I just got a waterproof duffle from sierra trading for about $30, it's made in the USA seems to be the same material as my Ortlieb and Wolfman stuff all the seams/straps seem to be of the same quality if not better. This is the one: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...colorFamily=32 The same company also makes a waterproof backpack that looks like it could work for saddlebags and it's about $20.

I always wait until I get a 35% off with free shipping email from them until I order.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Would like to know where you got the can in the back to hold gas
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
fetchfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
Would like to know where you got the can in the back to hold gas
This one had no brand, but seems to be an exact copy of the Husqvarna petrol can.

It was the only one I could find locally that I'm convinced wont leak. The others around you need to take the middle out of the cap and put the tube through the cap ring. I never managed to get a good seal with those.

This one will stop filling automatically and says it wont drip when you lift it. I haven't tested it yet. It has a separate container for oil, but I will probably fill that with gas too.
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote