User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Darling River Run.. plus a bit

This ride report's origins go back to about 6 years ago when a bloke (Col) that I do some contracting work for decided to get his bike licence. I tried planting the seed back then that he should come and do some dirt riding with me. Problem was, he wasn't that interested in dirt roads and also didn't have the artillery for it... VTR250 was his first set of wheels.

Fast forward 6 years and he now owns 4 bikes, all of them with a heritage of Touring/Offroad but none have done more than a handful of dirt km's. In those six years he's also had some memorable offs.

The first one was travelling alone somewhere out between Menindee and Broken Hill on his Multistrada, after taking a wrong turn and realizing it, he tried to hang a U-turn, put his foot down into a pot hole filled with bulldust, the loaded bike ends up on his leg/knee and he winds up laying there waiting for 4 hours unable to move his pinned leg (with a dislocated knee) from under the bike, no spot tracker and no mobile phone service.. Doh.. Luckily a farmer came along and saved the day. That could've been ugly. After that mishap he was heard to mumble something about never going on dirt roads again. Never. Ever.

Col's biggest off was about 2 years ago when fanging his Super Tenere on the slab somewhere out near Texas QLD where he hit some loose gravel, from recent unmarked road works, and ended up in a table drain pin-balling through some large granite rocks and shattering his shoulder in the process. 2 operations, 10 days in hospital, lots of physio and a lawsuit later..

He's really passionate about Australian history and after recently buying a Tiger 800XC he started asking me about some outback pubs and places that I'd been to, and some that are only accessible on the dirt. I could see the thoughts ticking over in his mind. If he was going to see some of the best and most remote places in Oz, he was going to need to either buy a 4by, get a pilots licence or swallow a bucket of cement and get back on the dirt. He was really hesitant due to previous injuries and having hardly anytime whatsoever riding in the dirt but he bit the bullet and decided to start prepping the Tiger as his dirt princess. Auxiliary tanks, auxiliary lights, barkbusters and offroad tyres to start with. Although he disregarded my advice of a steering dampener

So after all that was done, I get a text message that went something like this.. "Hey mate, do you remember saying that I should do some dirt riding, well how does the Darling River run from Pooncarie to Bourke sound? And do you wanna come along?" he also added "but I warn you, I will be slow on the dirt".

Well I was the one that offered all those years ago, so how could I say no? And it would be cool to hang with him for a few days away from the work environment. But the last sentence in his text scared me...

So a date was set that suited. Col wanted to take his time getting to Pooncarie and decided to slab all the way to Mildura to do some photos along the way and pick up some new tyres there. His bike only had 2500kms on it when he got to Mildura.

Untitled
This 606 has about 1800kms on it... She'll be right!

A day after Col departed I left home on my XT660Z at about 1030am and slabbed to Temora and fuelled up, then to Griffith , then onto Goolgowi where I fuelled up again and then hit the dirt up at Merriwagga. I had planned my route on Basecamp and tried to draw as straight a line as possible from Merriwagga to Pooncarie. Most of these roads I'd never been on, but they were great. It was a beautiful day, the roads were mostly fast and smooth.

Syd Pooncarie Menindee Wilcannia Tilpa Louth Cobar Nymagee Condobolin

Went through here

I also had a slight ulterior motive for this ride, and that was to get a few long days in before the Longest Day ride in December. Maybe my route planning skills werent sharp the day that I set the route as I ran out of road about 90kms south west of Ivanhoe. The road went left, my GPS track went right and there was only a paddock to look at with no distinguishable wheel tracks. There were no homesteads around, and I hadnt passed one in more than half an hour. So I did what most of us would do, I followed the pink line, even if it was taking me across a bare paddock towards a fence that was about 1km away. I found a gate at that fence, then the faintest hint of a track began as I kept following the GPS line. After about 10kms I stumbled across a homestead and appeared to be coming up on the back of the house. I really dont like trespassing and even though it was a legit mistake Im happy enough to admit it and talk to the station owners. I couldve easily just rode on past and headed out their front gate as if nothing had happened. But I killed the Tenere about 50m from their house paddock, rolled to a stop at their picket fence, jumped off and waited for the owner to come out as their Jack Russell was launching himself at me through the boundary. After a minute or so, a lovely lady came out with a big smile and said "Gday! We dont see many bike riders around here, are you lost!?" I told her about the GPS misadventure, she told me that it used to be a road through there - about 12 years ago - but no worries. "Would you like a beer?" her husband asked as he shook my hand and thanked me for stopping and telling them what happened. I said no thanks Ive gotta keep moving, and asked them the name of their property and the lady told me it was 'Ravensfield'.

So after 870kms in 9 hours (including fuel stops and stop to tighten a new chain) I decided to make a cup of tea and consider setting up camp on Gol Gol Road about 150kms short of Pooncarie. So I had my cup of tea, got some kind of strange boost of energy and decided to head onwards to Pooncarie as the sun was setting. Maybe not a great idea...

More to come

Robb10 screwed with this post 12-10-2014 at 02:20 AM
Robb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
More please
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
More please

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So as the sun was setting I broke my own cardinal rule - No Night Riding In The Bush. I just seemed to have alot of energy and was fixated with cracking the 1000kms for the day. Silly, yes, I know.

There were some interesting moments thats for sure. There werent as many roos as I thought there would be, but plenty of emus trying to commit suicide and take me with them. As I was cruising along on one section I hadnt seen a roo or emu for a solid ten minutes and I was thinking "jeez this new LED light bar is working well.. and jeez thats a giant turd in the middle of the road, WTF couldve dumped that there...??" Not 80m around the next corner - cattle, and lots of them. FAAARRRKKKK!!! Clearly my mind wasnt as energized as my body. I was riding through cattle properties FFS.

There were some sandy sections of road but I got up on the pegs and tried not to go over 80km/h. Got on the brakes solidly a couple of times due to wildlife but after about 2 hours I saw the lights of Pooncarie and called it a day a little less than 2 kms out of town. I parked up next to a fence about 30m off the road, grabbed my Mr Swagman swag, rolled it out, a few breaths of air into my sleeping pad and cracked open a tin of tuna for dinner and washed it down with some left over Gatorade. Who says you have to rough it when camping?

I was pretty tired by then, I had done about 1030kms in a tick over 11 hours, my arse hurt and I had a headache. I rode the last 2 hours without earplugs. I just forgot to put them in after my last break and didnt feel like stopping again.

I had to meet Col and his Tiger in Pooncarie at 10 the next morning. Time for a sleep in!

About 2 hours into my sleep I awoke to the sound of a fairly big truck going past which was fine, but quickly realised that my Big Agnes sleeping pad had sprung a leak (or 4-5 as it turned out) after I had rolled the swag out on top of some burrs. The hazard of setting up in the dark.

I fell back to sleep on the hard ground and slept pretty well til the next morning when about 630 a kookaburra sat in the tree near my swag and wasn’t gonna let up with his laughing until I was up and awake.

Woke up to another great day

After making a quick cuppa I packed up and headed into Pooncarie for what was to be the start of a ride that was different to the way that I usually travel. Not good, not bad, but different.

I spotted Col’s Tiger at the Servo/Cafe in Pooncarie and pulled in as I needed fuel and was hankering for a feed. I ordered a bacon and egg roll and a coffee from the lovely lady at the counter and sat back to discuss how we were going to tackle the day.

AH4J0886
Col had to make a quick visit to Pooncarie Pub to pick up his barely used road tyres.. He had dropped them there the night before.

I had the plan that we would get to Menindee by lunch, have a bite to eat, refuel and then bushcamp somewhere on the way to Tilpa. Col listened to my plan and said “How far is it to Menindee?” About 190kms I told him. He said “there is no way that I can ride that fast, I’ll be doing about 30-40k’s an hour the whole way, thats about 5 hours!?” I chuckled a little and told him that there will be some sandy sections but if last nights road in is any indication he should be able to sit on 100kms an hour most of the way… I was wrong. Very wrong.

As I mentioned before Col was a nervous dirt rider. He had been bitten by the dirt before and at 63yo his shoulder will never be the same again after his Texas granite experiment. But I thought “no way, nobody can do 30kms an hour when the road is flat and fast”… Wrong.

He started out cautiously and I sat behind him for 10 mins or so, the road was mostly good. But about every 5kms or so, a sandy patch would come up that would have him shifting back down to 2nd gear, death gripping the bars and his eyes like dinner plates. I stopped him to have a chat and mentioned that I know it didn’t make sense, but he needed to get up to about 60-70, stand up, lighten his grip and just let the Tiger shake around a little. Momentum was key. But he wasn’t buying it. About an hour into the trip to Menindee I knew that I just needed to leave him alone to work it out and I would check up on him periodically. Its not as if he is a clueless newbie on a bike, the guy has ridden more than 200 thousand road k’s in 6 years... So I blasted off and did some high speed runs as well as some lower speed rough stuff in some paddocks. Every 20 mins or so I stopped under a tree to let him catch up and to make sure he was ok. Did I mention it was also about 40 degrees? Gradually during the day his speed picked up a little, but I think 50k’s an hour was his max on day 1.

After about the 3rd stop and chat, I mentioned to him again that speed and momentum were his friends and told him that this road right now is 120-140km/h territory, but he still wasn’t convinced. So I let him dawdle off and gave him a 5 minute head start then gave him a 130 fly-by standing up. Was my message sinking in? Possibly. But we’d talk about that flyby later in the pub.

AH4J1853

AH4J1856
Testing the Teknik suspension in a paddock - Bloody awesome!

Waiting in the shade

So after 5 and a half hours we made it to the outskirts of Menindee and bee-lined it to the Maidens Hotel for a cool beverage. Col wanted to go to the Kinchega Wool Shed for a look and to take some photos and he wanted to scope out a spot on the river to camp. The fella behind the bar at the pub told us that if we were to come back to have dinner at the pub, the publican would let us have a shower in the amenities there. Done deal.

AH4J1875

We made our way along the river in the Kinchega National Park and spotted a few great camping spots and then rode up to the woodshed. What a great place. The national parks people have done a great job of restoring and preserving it. Defintely worth a look.

Just before we got back on our bikes we decided to go back to the pub before setting up camp and have an early feed. By this stage it was about 430pm.

We arrived at the Pub again in Menindee and ordered some beers and food. I think we both had the chicken parmy. Big sized feeds, good flavor! While on his 3rd beer run Col asked the publican about the shower deal and also asked how much the rooms were? $60 per night for the rooms was good enough for us. We decided to share a room and break out the ear plugs. Best part is they have a lock up courtyard that you can ride into, and they let you lock up your bikes. The Publican told us that he had only heard of one bike being stolen in Menindee, a Husky, and that was from the Motel across the road. I was happy to have my bike locked away.

AH4J1953
Entering the Maidens Hotel courtyard, they lock those doors behind me.

AH4J1958

Just before jamming the earplugs in and getting to sleep Col says to me “Hey mate, thanks for the high speed pass today, that was nice of you, but no more thanks”.

The grand fee of $60 for the night also got us cereal and toast for breakfast as well as a bottomless cop of International Roast coffee…

We headed off at about 8am with the intention of making it to Tilpa, about 300kms away. We stopped at the servo and topped up the tanks, Col mounted up about 5 minutes before me and said that he wanted to see the states largest ball of Kangaroo shit or something and took off… Where the fuck did he go? We travelled along the Darling River ‘North Road’ as we heard that it had just been graded the week before. I got about 10mins up the road and couldn’t see any dust whatsoever so stopped to check Flytrace to see where he was.. Nope his SPOT wasn’t turned on. Fuck. I then decided to sit and wait for 20 mins to see if he caught up or where he was.

Freshly graded super highway

It was only 9am and it was already getting hot. Right on 20mins into my wait my phone rings and Col tells me he’s done taking photos of whatever it was he was looking at and would be catching up with me soon.

30 mins later he was with me and we were off! Next stop; the adorable little hamlet of Wilcannia...

Robb10 screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 11:11 PM
Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Menindee to Wilcannia

After Col and I regrouped we decided that for my sanity and his health we should do what we did late yesterday and regroup every hour or so. I again gave him the "go faster and the dont-hold-on-so-tight speech" he just looked at me like I was nuts.

I thought to myself "if I cant get big solid days in, Im sure as heck going to get some 30min long high speed motos in to prepare myself for the LDR".. Maybe not the best prep but most of my riding on the Tenere had been in bush-touring mode so some flat runs and high speed runs were good to blow the cobwebs out. $1.60 is all there is, there aint no more, and a couple of times I held it there for what felt like 10 mins at a time but was probably only 3-4 mins. About 120 was the order of the day with some extended periods at that speed and then some extra extended periods of waiting to make sure my travelling buddy was still tail gunning (?)

AH4J2163
I think this was an attempt at a stand on the pegs...

Time for another cuppa

As I took the above pic a roadtrain went past, and he had the wick turned up! I grabbed my little hand held UHF out of my back pack and dialed up CH40, gave him a call and let him know that maybe 10 mins or so up the road there would be a fella on a bike who looked a little, ahem, nervous.. "No worries" he said, "I wont run him down"

As I finished my tea and started to get bored, I heard the familiar sound of the Tiger triple in 3rd gear approaching. He roared past me at about 45kmh and I packed up my cooking stuff.

Saw this in a field next to the Wilcannia Rd.. I also found a very new looking dog and chain in the middle of the road off a truck about 1km before this memorial. I picked it up and strapped it to my pannier. When I got to the memorial it looked like it was about to fall off, so I left it just behind the cross...
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Menindee to Wilcannia.. After I fix my tyre

About 5kms after the roadside memorial I caught up with Col and stuck with him for 5 mins, he was looking a little faster and didnt seem to be trying to strangle the bars, so I went for a play down the table drains. I find that getting down in the loose stuff is good practice for when the inevitable loose sandy road comes along. I also had a bit of a blast in a paddock. And I think thats where I picked up the nail in the rear tyre...

I came back onto the road and even with earplugs in the road noise sounded wrong and the bike felt soft. I slowed up and looked down. Fuck it. Flat rear. Col was about 200m in front of me. I quickly caught up with him and pointed to my rear tyre and we both pulled up. I said to him to keep going as we were only about 30kms from gorgeous Wilcannia. But he wanted to have a laugh and take pics of me working so he hung around

The edge of the road was too soft and sandy to get the bike up on the centre-stand so I did it in the middle of the road. No traffic was held up!

AH4J2065
Off with the rear

AH4J2069
Off with the jacket and start breaking the bead

10467051_1003665799649274_4789287635107494376_o
Tyre off, sweaty face on and a new tube about to go in.

About 30 mins altogether and we hit the road to fabulous Wilcannia again!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
dzl
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 80
awesome........next chapter please
Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl View Post
awesome........next chapter please
Yep!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 8,100
top report, more please

'must be the 'ooooohhhhhmmmmm' factor kicking in'
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the delay fellas, Ive been prepping for the LDR and also trying to shake this bastard cold that I have...

After the Tenere was put back together we headed to Wilcannia. Now if you've never been to one of NSW's forgotten treasures, Im here to tell you that you aint missing much. Dont get me wrong, its not the shittiest looking place that Ive been to to, in fact it has some really nicely restored heritage buildings and its right on the Darling River, but the occupants of the town don't do its reputation any great favours.

Im not sure about anyone else, but as it gets hotter my tolerance for bullshit and drama diminishes greatly. On this particular day the mercury was nudging 42 degrees...

As luck would have it, as we rolled into the servo a group of about 8-10 indigenous locals disembarked from the pub opposite and descended onto the servo. I think they had been having a session "what type of bike is that brudda?" "Can I take her for a spin?" "Is that a GPS?" "Does it do good wheelies?" "How much did this bike cost you fella?""Can you lend me $5?"... Agghhhhhhh

Right then another smaller mob of indigenous locals arrived at the servo in a 1980 Falcon Staion Wagon. Then they started going at each other.. "Hey you black c%^t you owe me money" "Im gonna kill you ya black c%^t" "I should smash this bottle right over ya fookin head!" Here I was on a 42deg day in Wilcannia, in the middle of an escalating brawl between 2 lots of pissed locals. Anyone that tries to convince you that Wilcannia is worthy of a stop (other than fuel) should be disregarded.

I have no photos of Wilcannia. The only highlight of the place (other than leaving) was that I did find a little cafe run by a lady who was part of the historical society. She made a nice coffee and told me stories about the town that only re-enforced my theory that the town was probably much nicer 60 years ago.

During our coffee, old mate Col was concerned that his ever diminishing energy supplies would see us bush camping between Wilcannia and Tilpa.. No. That wasn't going to happen. I told him that it was only 145kms to Tilpa and even going easy we should be there in 2.5 hours, unless the road was a shocker.

Well the road was awesome! A little looser on the surface than the road from Menindee to Wilcannia, but it was fast and flat.

AH4J2091
Part of Col's drama with riding in the dirt was definitely the amount of shit he had on his bike. About 50-60kgs all up.

Waiting for Col between Wilcannia and Tilpa with some native fauna in the shade

It was going to be too hot to stop and think about bush camping anyway. It was over 40 degrees and the most comfy place to be was on the bike with the wind in your face. Albeit a wind that couldve been coming out of a hot hairdryer.

On one of my stops whilst waiting for Col I found this old shearers hut, its right on the side of the road and about 50kms (?) from Tilpa.

Untitled

I didnt want to hang around here too long in case Col decided to call it a day and stay here!

AH4J2141

Well we finally made it to Tilpa, and I could tell that Col was happy to be there. We got 2 beers into us in quick time and then discussed the accomodation choices. I asked the Irish barmaid if we could camp at the back of the pub by the river? Nup. Hmmm ok, how much are your rooms for the night? $35 per person per room. Sold! And you can even park your bike outside of your room on the verandah!

AH4J2174
More luggage needed!

Even more cold beers were had, I tucked into a rump steak that cost me about $20 and it was awesome! Big and full of flavour. The rooms are basic but the air con works a treat and the showers have heaps of pressure. Did I mention the beers were cold?

More to come when I stop coughing...

Robb10 screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 11:06 PM
Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I don't remember Tilpa being so grand when I drove through there in 1995 in a Datsun Sunny
Fantastic stuff!!
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally the final instalment!

As I mentioned earlier in the report, Col has a keen interest in Australian history and the more obscure the better.

He was talking to a local at the bar of the Tilpa Hotel who had told him that there was once an artesian bore sunk in Tilpa and Col was on a mission to find out where it was and who it belonged to.. Im not entirely sure why, but I am sure it was a good reason.. probably.

So after a good nights sleep in a comfy bed, I woke up a little cotton-mouthed. The aircon blazing away all night had definitely caused that

Interesting seating option at Tilpa

No breakfast was at hand because the barmaid and publican left town at 6am to go to Cobar to buy supplies, so it was a cup of tea, a shower and pack up, then head towards Louth.. But not before we find that mysterious artesian bore!

Im fairly sure that today was the hottest day so far, it was only 830 in the morning and the player comfort meter was in the red. Col said we were riding out of town to the pub owners place and he would tell us where the bore was. A 10 min ride out of town and we ride up to the house.. Nobody home Win! Lets head for Louth!

GOPR5947
Taken on Col's GoPro1.. Note the noise and the 25kmh tracking speed :)

We took the road that is on the northern side of the Darling to Louth, and again it was fast and flat the whole way. I could see Col was relaxing more now and I think he may have even nudged 70kmh in some parts, my waiting times were getting smaller.

On my 3rd stop to wait, I pulled out my phone and noticed a text message from my wife that told me my mum was sick and to call her asap.. So when we hit Louth I called and decided that since my mum was ill in Condobolin and Col was heading to Hebel, I would be bugging out in Louth and would get down to Condo to see mum.

I told Col about it when he arrived in Louth and he was cool with it although I did notice that he seemed apprehensive about riding on the dirt to Bourke without someone keeping an eye on him.. "Mate you'll be fine, just keep doing what you've been doing today, piece of piss".

This was up on the wall in Louth Pub... Classic!

A few K's out of Louth I took the Gundabooka National Park turn off, turned up the bluetooth tunes and let the Tenere have her head.

I made it to Cobar in good time and refuelled, then headed for Condo via Nymagee. I was amazed that all the roads were in such good nick, the worst one being the Pooncarie to Menindee road and that wasnt that bad.

I was heading for Condo after I went through Nymagee and I knew that I was approaching my cousins 7km long driveway. A few minutes later, just before I got to their driveway, my cousin and her husband pulled out onto the Nymagee road! I hadnt seen her in a few years and just before I left them she took this pic and sent it to me.. Looking tired (and a little old) ;)

I got to Condo, spent the night there and made sure Mum was alright and then slabbed it back to Sydney.

A pretty good ride albeit a little slower than what Im used to. But the upside of that is I did take more time to look around and probably saw things that I usually wouldnt.

The one thing that I wish Col had was a bluetooth communicator on his helmet, it wouldve made life alot easier if I couldve talked him through it I think. Either that or we couldve called it a day in Menindee Oh and less luggage next time Col!

He mentioned to me that he wants to do the old Nullarbor track next

These are my 606 tyres after the trip. The rear has about 4700kms on it and the front about 7000kms on it. Theyre off to landfill.

AH4J3088
This is a pic that Col took out near Hebel. Harsh country for sure.

Hope you all enjoyed this report, I understand it was a bit wordy but you get that!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #13
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Good work fella!

Mad going out there in summer, but you were doing better than me just being on a bike!

Well done for your patience... don't know I would have been as patient myself.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Robb10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks JTB, you're right summer isn't ideal out there but work commitments see me grinding nearly all through winter and when I do get time off Mrs Robb10 usually has some points building program for me to participate in.. My patience was tested a little, but I've known that fella for over 20 years so I'm sure I owed him some patience :)

How come you aren't on a bike atm?

Robb10 screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 01:31 AM Reason: Dyslexia
Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Nice RR Mate, great read & cool pics. We were advised to give Wilcannia a wide berth for that exact reason you mentioned.
Creedy.
creedyflyr is online now   Reply With Quote