Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
sixspeed OP
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Harley owners - what "oils" do you run in those 3 holes.

Be easy on me, I know there are a whole bunch of HD forums and lots of advice on what to run. But I value ADVRiders expertise. And I'm not trying to start a peeing match over oil brands.

For the warranty period I plan on sticking with the factory SYN3 fill for the engine even though I've been a dino oil/3500 mile changer in every vehicle up to my C6 which requires 5w-30 M1 for the warranty. Have never had a longevity or consumption problem with dino oil in engines, trannies or rears.

What more concerns me is the primary and tranny. I would suspect that motor oil ain't in its best realm here.

I know some guys swear by certain brands and others hate "Scamsoil", but what do you guys run for primary and tranny lubricant? Any truth to the internet "you can tell the guys running SYN3 in all 3 holes by the shifting bang and primary clunk"...

Thanks!

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 173
2012 FLHR
Primary: Rotella 15w-40 (HDEO for diesel engines)
Trans: Valvoline 75w-140 SynPower full synthetic gear oil
Engine: Valvoline VR-1 synthetic 20w-50

flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,156
Oil: Redline 20W-50

Tranny: Redline Heavy Shockproof

Primary: Redline MTL

These are tried and true fluids used by a large number of HD riders. They can be hard to find and may cost a little more than others but have been using them in HD for over 10 years.

Buy online from www.racerpartswholesale.com

A few years ago they came out with motorcyle specific branded products but for years the standard oil and shockproof was recommended. The new bike specific stuff costs about $2 more a quart but I still use the non-bike fluids. It's an HD for christ sake, the engine, tranny and primary aren't that much different than they were 10-15 years ago so I don't see the need for products specially formulated for bikes on my HDs.

Oil: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...ine_Motor_Oils

Tranny: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...roof_Gear_Oil2

Primary: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...nsmission_Lube

blk-betty screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 08:14 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
just use any quality lubricant.

no point to use conventional anything though, stick with good blends or full syn.

as far as my primary goes, its whatever the dealer puts in,

as far as engine oil, i have used many types, ranging from the standard 'harley' oil, to kendall 15-40 super D, and everything in between. currently running honda 20-50 race blend.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
I drank the Amsoil kool-aid and use it now, not sure if I'm going to stick with it or go to mobile one.

From my limited reading here's roughly what I've came up with:

'Best'

-Amsoil, Mobile one, and the rest of the good synthetics

'Middle grade'

HD Syn-3. Note that it's priced similar to the premiums.

'Worst'

HD dyno oil, and the rest of the dyno oils. They are probably good enough for the bikes, but considering the cost difference of running the good stuff vs. the cost of a rebuild I don't use them. These motors/drivetrains are hard on oil due to the temperature swings, being air-cooled, and using 'cutting edge 1930's technology'.

jules083 screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 05:58 AM Reason: Misspelling
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I take mine to the Harley shop and tell them to change oil and will pick it up in a couple of hours. Ask them what they put in there. I have no idea but it works well.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Be easy on me, I know there are a whole bunch of HD forums and lots of advice on what to run. But I value ADVRiders expertise. And I'm not trying to start a peeing match over oil brands.

For the warranty period I plan on sticking with the factory SYN3 fill for the engine even though I've been a dino oil/3500 mile changer in every vehicle up to my C6 which requires 5w-30 M1 for the warranty. Have never had a longevity or consumption problem with dino oil in engines, trannies or rears.

What more concerns me is the primary and tranny. I would suspect that motor oil ain't in its best realm here.

I know some guys swear by certain brands and others hate "Scamsoil", but what do you guys run for primary and tranny lubricant? Any truth to the internet "you can tell the guys running SYN3 in all 3 holes by the shifting bang and primary clunk"...

Thanks!
I run Amsoil. Same oil in all three holes. Get six bottes. Four in engine, one each in other holes. New filter. Done. Easy to do.

When I switched to synthetic my gears shifted a bit better, a bit smoother. Still has that big HD clunk into first from neutral, but I almost never use neutral so it doesn't bother me.

Last time I ran 8,000 miles on engine oil. burned less than half a quart that whole time.

I like synthetic because I know the air cooled engines put a higher stress than water cooled.

Cakeeater.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
I run any good dino blend 20/50 in my 08 twin cam engine, with a little bit of Lucas engine oil treatment (200ml). I tried synthetic oil and I could really hear my valve train when the bike got hot, it's quieter without synthetic. Change every 5,000 kms)
I use HD formula plus in the primary, change it every 10,000 kms. Clutch and compensater work just fine. No noise from the primary chain. (can't check without pulling the outer primary cover...progress???)
I use 75/90 synthetic gear oil in my transmission, change it once a year. transmission works just fine.
62,000 kms so far, no leaks, oil usage or funny noises.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,504
Stay within spec and use anything. Keep it full and change when Harley says. I use HD stuff, 'cause its easy to get.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
CoFloW
Pray For Snow.

Oddometer: 22
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

These are tried and true fluids used by a large number of HD riders. They can be hard to find and may cost a little more than others but have been using them in HD for over 10 years.

A few years ago they came out with motorcyle specific branded products but for years the standard oil and shockproof was recommended. The new bike specific stuff costs about $2 more a quart but I still use the non-bike fluids. It's an HD for christ sake, the engine, tranny and primary aren't that much different than they were 10-15 years ago so I don't see the need for products specially formulated for bikes on my HDs.

Most Def AGREED!!!! Been using em on my 01 RoadKing for 7 years now.... You will notice a big difference when you get that other crap outta your bike and add this stuff! The transmisson i think is one of the most noticeable differences in change! SMOOTH for a HoG!
CoFloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Engine: Mobile 1 15W50 car oil, mostly same as the 20W50 Motorcycle specific but cheaper, Trans: Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Oil..can't remember weight Primary: Rotella 15W40 diesel oil...

Some people use the same fluid in all three holes, that would be the simplest solution, but I like the gear oil in the tranny gears. I go 5000 miles on the oil and 10,000 on Primary and Trans. Works great.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
ATF fluid is a good alternative in the primary, there is only a clutch and a chain in there.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
danielraible
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

+1, I have noticed smoother shifting and a quieter clutch & gearbox, plus if you get a leak everything is color coded so it is easy to diagnose.
danielraible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 767
Lucas 20/50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the motor and primary.
Lucas 75/90 synthetic gear oil in the trans.

The trans shifts like butter with the Lucas in it.

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 428
It's not about kool aid it's about what works best.

I have accumulated at least 150,000 miles riding those tour pigs and I have tried lots of lubricants.

Note: any Dino engine oil makes the engine run hotter. Hot enough to feel it on your right foot. on a 90 degree day.

Amsoil v twin oil in the crankcase and primary
change interval 5,000 miles, harley oil filter

Amsoil yellow cap gear oil in the trans
change interval 10,000 miles

Bottom line: synthetic oils work, pick your poison