Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,556
Tiki-touring - day trips and pics in NZ

Howdy and g’day

Y’all may remember a long forgotten thread called NZ Touring Pics by Shaggie

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234351

Well I still have the wanderlust and so have been taking pics here n there around my beautiful locale and have been meaning to share them for ages…..

Unfortunately of late my camera has been giving me a few issues and have been resorting to my iPhone which obviously isn’t ‘up there’ in the quality stakes but I hope you enjoy what I’ve taken so far….the camera should be back in action for the next outing however!

So here goes…..

Have been doing some scouting around of late for cafes to appear in this other thread and so tootled off up Highway 1 to Domett and the Mainline Station Café in the old railway station

Pop in and see John and the friendly team here – they do a MEAN-AS breakfast before 11am (or maybe a wee bit later if you’re polite and John’s in a good mood! ;-p )

It really is a fabulous location

And check this out!

Directly across the road is the turnoff for Gore Bay – I’d been down here a couple of years back with my good pal Westy and so thought I’d head off again for another explore

Cathedral Cliffs – I think I should take the SilkySaw with me next time to help out with the view tho

Stalking the VTR in its natural habitat….

Pretty view back towards Highway 1

Descending into Gore Bay (and no Alex or a bottle of milk….)

I rode most of this really slow and with the front of my Multitec flipped up – just enjoying the sun on my face and the smells of the countryside…..ahhhhhh

Not abandoned but I thought this shearing shed looked ‘moodier’ in B&W J

Back through to Cheviot on Highway 1, hung a left towards Christchurch then right onto Waikari Valley Road at Greta Valley – I wasn’t ready for home just yet!

The ride through the Waikari Valley is sweet! Rolling hills all around, easy sweepers and farmers aplenty to wave to!

Had a can of V at the tiny dairy at Waikari, refuelled the old girl and sat on a chair outside watching the world go by for a bit….before heading home, planning my next outing as I rode…..
Cheers!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Touratuff
Ducatiwi

Oddometer: 15
Beauty mate

Nice One!!! Somewhat envious.
How I long to have a decent trip down South instead of round the Wellington region. Had a 3 day lower North Island road trip though on the Monster back in January.
Only toured through the 'Mainland' 4 times, 3 times on bikes and only once all the way round, but that was over 32yrs ago so well overdue.
The Haast road was still gravel back then. Nice on road tyres and on a Honda CX500 2 up plus gear for a week.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Cheers Touratuff!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Drogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Excellent!

Makes me wish I was there.
Drogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

I wish you were too bud

Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #6
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Just a couple of quick additions before bed...

Waiau River pano taken from the Thrillseekers building - jetboating and bungyjumping their pleasure!

Lyttelton Harbour, just over the hill from Christchurch

Did an early morning trip to Nelson the other day, up well before the sun and this was the view down a longish straight heading into Culverden, North Canterbury

Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Just a wee short ride today as time was short....leaving my wallet in my wife's car didn't help much either!

Had heard good things about the café Pukeko Junction just north of Christchurch so went there for a cuppa n a muffin....scrounging high and low around the house for the necessary peso's....

and then decided to try some backroads on the way home - bearing in mind I had no money for gas and I was already half way thru my tiny tank!

Found this neat old building

and here's a wee blurb about it:

http://www.hurunui.govt.nz/our-distr...owai-archives/

Stay tuned, away for a TT (Tiki-Tour! Its an old kiwi term that was around in my early childhood meaning a roadtrip, KiwiStyle! ) on Thursday with the legendary Westy and I promise pics!

Later

Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I took a tiki tour the other day, came home from work the long way.
The scenery was really good but I was having so much fun riding that I didn't want to stop - so no pics!

I might go for a ride/camp/more riding/camping again/ride home this weekend, I'll see if I can grab a few pics along the way.
I'm looking at riding home from work tomorrow (Cambridge-Morrinsville) and then riding from Morrinsville to Rotorua and grabbing a tent site at a camping ground, then on Friday do a wee ride: Rotorua-Waikite Valley-Mangakino-Karapiro-Tauranga-Rotorua followed by another overnight camp in Rotorua and heading home on Saturday so I'm all good to start another weeks work on Sunday.
I'll try and finish work as early as I can tomorrow to start my weekend with plenty of time to load up gear and ride to Rotorua (Friday & Saturday are my weekend, Sun-Thu is my working week).
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Great stuff Mark

Looking forward to your thread!

Post a link here or in the NZ forum

S

Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #10
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

More in the morning........

Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #11
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
High time I got back home…….

….. to unfinished business. These pictures prompt the feeling.

I have ridden the length and the breadth of the North Island, more than once, having worked in most regions. I spent quite a bit of time in shearing sheds….. Where is the one pictures?

During several years in the South Island I covered most, but have yet to reach Bluff. I did set out from Queenstown (on a CB350) one August day in 1975, but rain started around Kingston. Being ill prepared for it, I headed back. Met a girl from Tasmania, and found her company more interesting than completing the mission. Before long it was time to return to study at Lincoln College (as it was then).

Aj Mick screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 05:09 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Nice reminiscences there fella!

Come on home, boy! (trying out my c&w 'Deliverance' accent)

S

Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #13
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Dateline Thursday 03.04.14

Westy was here at the crack of 906am

I took a terrible phone camera pic of the steeds….he has an uber cool Steve McQueen Bonnie….he has the saveloy fairz to go with it…..

This was our route – Westy said to me “lead the way” so I did!

Straight up 1 til just after the Ashley River Bridge and turned onto Wylies Road to lead us to Sefton thence on Scenic Highway 72 to Amberley where Westy wanted to top up the beasts tank. I had decided to take this back route as was getting a bit bored with Hwy1 and always keen to try ‘the back way’.

Coming into Amberley, we discovered quite by chance a very cool wee café –

Vintage Espresso Café at 16 Markham St, -43.153434, 172.727376 HIGHLY recommended!

Up to the turnoff for Hanmer Springs and the West Coast and we turn left, together with quite a line of traffic L. Just up around the corner a long straight beckons and we both do the right n correct thing and stretch our throttle cables with fervent dedication and just all of a sudden…queue of traffic? What queue of traffic?? J

Up until now it had been pretty grey with low cloud and generally a pretty dismal aire but the forecast had been for ‘fine patches around lunchtime’ so we decided a clockwise direction was the order of the day. Coming through Weka Pass, blue skies began smiling at us (thanks Willie) and all was good with the world at last!

Through Culverden (a quick top up of the tank for me and an emptying for Westy….) and then right onto 70 to Rotheram and then Waiau. Have to confess to clearing the carbon on the first bit of 70, Westy may well have wondered if I was really Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon making the jump to hyperspace…..oh well, I can dream!

We arrived in Waiau on the lookout for a recommended café but it turned out it was in another North Canterbury hamlet also starting with W! A destination for another day! While we were stopped on the side of the road pondering where the mystery café was, a nice older gentleman in a 4wd stopped to ask us if we needed any help….ahhhh country folk – salt of the earth n all that!

Once Westy had changed gloves and warmed the tips of his fingers on his crankcase cover (writing that makes me think of the nutter on the Kwaka 900 in the Gumball Rally movie…), he leapt aboard his iron horse with grace and a fluidity of motion that belies his forty-something summers and lead us through the beautiful Leader Valley….I’ll let the pics do the talking for a bit….

Quite the spread! (and the start of the autumn colours were really nice!)

Back onto 1 at Parnassus all too soon (the Leader was shorter than I remembered) and north to the ever reliable Mainline Station Café at Domett for light refreshments and tea (Coo-eeee!).

Westy had a shift to do at the Airport so we had a timeline to adhere to and so without further ado we bade farewell to John and the team (and his cool wee son Jacob, who was just a wee dude) and headed for Christchurch

The Waiau’s looking pretty dry

Westy had been telling me about the sexy wee V7 at the Triumph/Guzzi/MV Agusta dealer so popped in there for a looksee once Westy and I parted ways….there was some eye candy for sure!

And this one’s for Kato (you swine) J:

Bumped into an old work colleague, Stefan, who’s now helping run the ship there and in nice new bright airy premises!

I had a sit on three new Augusta 800’s: Brutale, Rivale and Dragster (would be happy with any of them, love triples – maybe the Dragster’s abbreviated pillion might rule it out tho!) and also on the second hand RSV4 Tuono which was VERY nice…….

All in all about 290k’s of two wheeled goodness J , thanks Westy, you’re a good buggar!

Shaggie screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 03:05 AM
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 251
Tiki-touring

Love the photos!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Drogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Nice job on the R.R. There's a Moto Guzzi dealership on the South Island, yet another reason for me to move there!
Drogo is online now   Reply With Quote