Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,059
Laugh KTM 525 exc 2004!! your thoughts

Hi Guy's
thoughts on the above, one has come up for sale, awesome condition, and a gr8 price.
Are they a good bike??
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Yes, if the right bike at the right price.

The '05 had quite a substantial upgrade over the '04 though. I had the '05 from new. In the day, it was a weapon.

If it has reasonable mileage/hours on it, has it had a refresh?
AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
OzJuJu
Yamafan

Oddometer: 691
You need Velcro gloves to hang on. My apprentice has one and it's a rocket ship.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,059
Laugh

the bike is immaculate, low hours almost no k's lol
its a 2 owner bike, the owner now is a fastidious bastard who when it came into his possession, pulled it apart bit by bit and made sure everything is where is should be :)

so the bike itself is perfect nick, just wanted to see wat peeps thoughts were,

:)

i like it
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Great bike to ride, maintenance can be a bit of a pain. There is a thread in thumpers for the 525 RFS.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Great bike to ride, maintenance can be a bit of a pain. There is a thread in thumpers for the 525 RFS.

What maintenance are you talking about that is any different to any other competition dirt bike?

These things are bullet proof if looked after properly and there are countless stories of bikes with 20 000km plus with no rebuilds.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJuJu View Post
You need Velcro gloves to hang on. My apprentice has one and it's a rocket ship.
For the young and senseless..........old farts better have medical insurance.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
What maintenance are you talking about that is any different to any other competition dirt bike?

These things are bullet proof if looked after properly and there are countless stories of bikes with 20 000km plus with no rebuilds.
If you are looking at it as a competition dirt bike thats fine, but as a dual sport bike I found the maintenance a bit of a pain. He asked for opinions,thats mine.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
OzJuJu
Yamafan

Oddometer: 691
And don't leave it out the front of the pub, unless you have a big chain to tie it to the nearest post
There must be no crime in Austria
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
JCat

Oddometer: 376
As the Enduro bike they were designed be....they were the as reliable as anything.
As others have said, i know of at least 1 that did over 20,000ks on original engine, although it had a larger oil cooler fitted.
But the RFS engine has a history of being a very reliable ENDURO engine.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 241
Check underside of gear lever tip for wear. Good sign of mileage.
Bottom ends are good for 20k+
Top ends are good for 10k. I did rings, inlet valves and camchain about this time. (02 400 but basically the same motor)
Radiators need to be removed or tied out of the way for valve clearances.
Suspension goes off at both ends around 3000km but my shock had done 5000 last time and the oil wasn't too muddy.

2 oil filters and about a litre of oil to change. This is the biggest problem as an adventure bike, you need to change oil every second day.
On paper they are only 20kg or so lighter than a 600/650 but feel about half the weight.

All depends on the riding. 100kmh dirt road touring for hours on end does not suit them, but for multi day "trail rides" they are ideal.
enookway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
There's a great thread on Thumpers about the 530 as a trail/ADV bike ("More Better"). Light luggage available but base type camping would be their forte. Plenty of guys do use them for extended dirt forays over a few days but there would be lower maintenance/ more comfortable bikes for week-long road/trail trips. The oil changes are usually quick to do on enduro bikes, designed to be done under rally conditions within a short work period. They're certainly a very capable weapon when ridden hard off road.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 209
I own a 04 525EXC. I've had it for well over 2 years. in that time I have used it for day long outings, belting through the bush, hill climbing. keep on top of the repairs. I change the oil and filters every 4-5 hours. Mine has done over 2000km in the glasshouse in 18 months without any problems. Saddle is like orange and black concrete, gearbox can be a bit painfull. Fit the fan kit if it does not have one!! Makes a world of difference to the engine in the tight stuff. They eat tyres and chains, but who doesn't love a 4th gear clutch banger.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,781
i had an 04 model that had 25000km up and the previous owner said no engine work done. still ran perfectly, i used it as a motard which was a pile of fun. adapted a set of honda 250 wheels to get a cush drive hub for road use....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
I've got an 05 525 EXC with some mods for long distance riding. I've just ridden it from Chiang Mai, through Laos in the peak of the wet season and am now in Cambodia. Mods include 12.5 to 1 570 kit, bigger valves, lighter flywheel, Hotcams cam, annular crank bearings, oil cooler.. which raises oil capacity from 1.2 to 1.8 litres and extends change times, Scotts SS oil filters, Scotts damper, higher seat (extra inch of foam) bigger stator, fan kit, Clarke 13 l tank, Squadron LED lights and so on. I could live without the first half of those things... but they are there because this thing's had a flogging. Its got around 35,000km on it now.

I'm loving it. Much better for in the slop than my Super Enduro. Only negative with it is the airbox design... great for servicing, shitful in deep water. I've drowned it in water at least a foot lower than I've ridden the SE through. Its copped some serious abuse this last 6 weeks... a set of brand new front pads in under 700km. Front and rear (twice) wheel bearings... partly due to needing new seals that I couldn't get here... and so on.

This thing will tractor up an impossible mud hill - like one I couldn't do on the SE... I know, I tried, went away, bought the 525 and then did it and more. What I really like is when you get stuck... you can get it out again.