Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
End of the line...In memoriam EXIT Honda Transalp...

@ All,

Honda has released the official press announcement that the production of the last 'authentic' big trail bike has officially been ended.

After almost 26 years one of the longest running models has been deleted from the Honda production line.
Revealed at the Paris Motorcycle Exhibition in 1986, the Honda XL600V Transalp evolved in a reliable, trustful travel companion. The bike had an overhaul in 1991 (rear drumbrakes replaced by disk, new dashboard), 1994 (new fairing), 1997 (Double diskbrakes front), 2000 (model change to XL650V) and 2007 (current model, the XL700V with feul injection)

I've owned 5 Transalps from almost every year (except the 650 and 700) which brought me to every corner of Europe and beyond. Reliable, cheap to run, just a great little bike. Covered in total over 150.000 km on all the Transalps I owned.

After the Africa Twin XRV750 (production stopped: 2002), the Varadero XL1000V (production stopped: 2011) the last of the Mohicans, has been deleted from the Honda program.

There is no news (yet) that we will see a true successor for either the Transalp, Africa Twin or Varadero on short notice.

The current line-up of ‘crossovers’ like the Crossrunner (which is in fact an old VFR800i in disguise) or the Crosstourer (which is in fact a VFR1200F on high heels) can’t bee seen as successor.

Honda calls its new line-up of big trail bikes 'progress'. But I doubt if they will ever become a real classic like the Transalp or Africa Twin have become.

XL600V Transalp, 1987

Transalp 600, 1995

Transalp 650, 2000

Transalp 700, exit...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Shame

Just made the decision to buy one today, checked Honda site and nada. Oh well, off to see the wizard for a Multistrada I guess.....
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
ROYMACNIC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Sad news,I used to own a 600 ,it was a great bike ,come on Honda think about what people really want.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Oh dear, bye bye to the old 'Slapper',

Never had one myself, but I know a few folk that have had them & they've been stone solid reliable tools, if a little uninspiring.

Kind of odd that they're being deleted without a replacement though.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
I had several Africs Twins in the past, and rode a lot with my buddy's Transalp.. Great bikes, bulletproof, and ready for any trip. Can't understand why Honda quit making them.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
I'm guessing Honda sees this as the replacement:

NC700X

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
I am grateful to have seen the original new in the showroom. It really planted a seed of touring the way touring was meant and not just overloaded goldwing style.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
This is sad news...
I currently own a '99 model which I've been enjoying for over 35.000 kms.
I truly hope they are going to release a decent sucessor, but I do not expect this to happen, because the Transalp was built mainly for the European market. If I understand correctly, there's not much "adventure riding" (for me this means exploring, going down unpaved roads or even some soft off-road) you can legally do in "civilized" Europe these days. Just my opinion...

From my point of view the line of Honda bikes became worse and worse during the latest decade or so... we have lost the Africa Twins, the Dominators, now the Transalps. Up to now we have not seen decent replacement models... only bikes that are more and more road-oriented
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
This is sad news...
I currently own a '99 model which I've been enjoying for over 35.000 kms.
I truly hope they are going to release a decent sucessor, but I do not expect this to happen, because the Transalp was built mainly for the European market. If I understand correctly, there's not much "adventure riding" (for me this means exploring, going down unpaved roads or even some soft off-road) you can legally do in "civilized" Europe these days. Just my opinion...

From my point of view the line of Honda bikes became worse and worse during the latest decade or so... we have lost the Africa Twins, the Dominators, now the Transalps. Up to now we have not seen decent replacement models... only bikes that are more and more road-oriented
Well... According to Honda, they will reveal a road-legal version of their expected Paris-Dakar rally racer next spring:

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
I seem to remember inmates complaining about the newest gen Transalp as being under powered and over weight.. Now that's it's being retired, some will miss it. ... What Honda needs is a real Africa Twin replacement. But then again, how many buyers buy the bike to actually ride it around the world or gnarly off road....
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I seem to remember inmates complaining about the newest gen Transalp as being under powered and over weight.. Now that's it's being retired, some will miss it. ... What Honda needs is a real Africa Twin replacement. But then again, how many buyers buy the bike to actually ride it around the world or gnarly off road....
Well... If I look in our (very active) Dutch Transalp & Africa Twin club, a majority does so... What cannot be said from f.e. any GS rider...

Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What Honda needs is a real Africa Twin replacement. But then again, how many buyers buy the bike to actually ride it around the world or gnarly off road....
Here, here. That's what we really need, is a modernized Africa Twin. Same geometry and build, with an 800cc, FI, 100 hp engine. If they could get it to weigh in at under 450 lbs wet, it'd be unstoppable.

We'd need some 21" tubeless tires to start being offered though. If not, we'd be better off with a 19" spoked tubeless front wheel. Actually, I think a 19" tubeless is really the best compromise for a world touring bike anyways. In any respect, if they built it, I would come.

I think, if there is any real chance of seeing a better Japanese mid sized world touring enduro, it'll have to come from Yamaha. They are the only maker that has shown any real interest in the adv touring market as of late and the already have a decent power plant in the FZ8. Really, a redesigned 800cc twin is what is needed.

It seems as most the Japanese makers seem to think they can just tell us what we want, so they make a standard, put a beak on it, and call it an ADV bike. In the mean time, you see the Euro makers designing real mid sized ADV bikes, that, if these forums are any indication, sell quite well. You may be right, in that most people don't really take these bikes on world tours or 4wd roads, but I think, like 1200gs & Hummer drivers, they take comfort in the idea that the bike/truck actually could, if they were so inclined.

This in the end, is why I ended up w/ a 2012 dl650 (if only the GC wasn't so dismal). It seems as close as I could get to a modernized Africa twin in the USA. I probably would have looked good and hard at the Transalp if I could have bought one here, but the tube tires would have probably pushed me away. It's too bad that Suzuki is intent on making the vStrom 1000 into even more of a street bike than its predecessor, yet they have the audacity to claim it's based on the drBig, what a crock!

Who will be the first?
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 01:11 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Well... According to Honda, they will reveal a road-legal version of their expected Paris-Dakar rally racer next spring:
Cool, put a VFR 800 motor in that along with tubeless spoked wheels and a nicer seat and I'd pay any price!!!

OTH, while I am dreaming, you might as well make sure it's under 430lbs wet (with 5 gallon tank) and came in under $10,000.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Just have to say: after the 1995/1996 model it went so downhill - Honda just has absolutely no taste in design. They must have lost the last good designer at some point in the late 90s ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Just have to say: after the 1995/1996 model it went so downhill - Honda just has absolutely no taste in design. They must have lost the last good designer at some point in the late 90s ...
It was actually the XL650V model, Cug, which brought the Transalp's bullet proof reputation down. The 1997-1999 model was very, very popular (the last 600). The 650 version was no more, no less than an Honda Deauville 650 on hiking boots.