Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
stigmatic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question Mounting pelican case without drilling it?

Hey guys,

I just picked up a shiny new Pelican Case (1550) to use as a tail case on my DR650. I've spent some time searching and looking at mounting methods in the forums, but I haven't seen any that don't involve some kind of penetration through the case itself.

I currently have a smaller pelican that a previous owner had mounted by bolting to a Suzuki tail rack. I was originally planning on mounting the bigger case the same way, but now I'm wondering if there is any way to mount it that wouldn't affect the integrity of the case itself? Maybe by gluing mounting points to it?

I'd also like to make it removable....I plan on putting DSLR camera/laptop/ipad/gopro gear into it, so it'd be nice to be able to easily haul into hotel rooms.

I'm open to being talked into just drilling the case....seems like that might be the quickest/easiest/cheapest option and would also let me install a 12v outlet inside to charge electronics securely while riding.

Anyways, I appreciate any input. You guys are da best.
stigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
kruzuki
Gear in the Machine

Oddometer: 807
I had a similar Pelican case mounted to my DR650 rack using U-shaped wire clamps. Four of them = 8 little holes drilled in the bottom of the case.

I don't think it affected structural integrity. I could've plugged the holes with silicon sealant if I need the case for something else, but it ended up staying bolted to the bike rack as it was so practical.

When I eventually sold it, the next owner (KLR650) was happy that the holes I had drilled lined up with his rack!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 438
why don't you want to drill the case...it is the most in expensive part of the system. mine came with a thumb srew lock you put it in and twisted it about one turn and it locked into there mounting plate. so that leaves you with bungy cords or glue i guess
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Drilling and fasteners will compromise the case only if you use too few.
If worried about the integrity, use doubler plates on the inside to distribute the fastener load. That's also one reason they make fender washers.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
BootsandPants
Sprayer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigmatic View Post
I'm open to being talked into just drilling the case....seems like that might be the quickest/easiest/cheapest option and would also let me install a 12v outlet inside to charge electronics securely while riding.

Anyways, I appreciate any input. You guys are da best.
Glue will be weaker in the long run when exposed to the elements and temperature fluctuations. Just drill it, then add a dab of silicone caulk or something similar over the screws. I've had drilled 1550s mounted on my bike since the summer, ride every day into work here in Seattle (WET), and have never had a leak.

As far as being removable, I'm not too sure. You might be able to rig up some sort of system with Caribou's bracket and lock mechanism. That would also require drilling through the case though. Would probably cost about $50 in parts or something like that. I don't know what your rear rack looks like, so I'm just guessing. Might be worth looking into as an "easy" sort of off the shelf solution.
BootsandPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I had my Duratool "pelican" box mounted on this rack with about 5lbs of tools. On a brutally rough trail the box held together just fine. Rack - not so much.

MotoDaveL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 851
I mounted mine using 4 hitch pins, 8 fender washers and 8 rubber "washers" (which I made from old inner tube). Cheap method. Figured the rubber washers cushion the shock (and may provide some protection from ingress of H2O, tho it is unlikely that water can get to the bottom of the case). I carry a shit-ton of weight in it, at times in rough conditions and it has shown no wear/tear in 10k miles. One of the pins is mounted so the removable part is inside the case, so when the case is locked it can't be stolen. Not the simplest thing to take off and on tho, as it requires some moving around of the contents to access the one pin inside and some juggling to re-align the pins and washers when putting the case back on; if I needed to take it off often (e.g.. daily commuter) I'd come up with another system.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,908
Only thing I can think of are straps or a metal cage that hugs the lower side with a metal or nylon strap holding it down.

Think of how a Jerry can mount work, something along the lines of that.

I wonder how completely covering the underside with dual lock and the top of the rack would work out. Dual lock is VERY strong, they also make a super high strength one that is rated to like 40lbs for a 1" square of the stuff. Imagine 120 square inches of the stuff. Not ure how easily removable that would be though, you'd probably end up lifting the bike up when trying to remove it.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
docmisalot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Twisted Throttle has mounts

I got mounts for my boxes from Twisted Throttle. It did involve drilling, but I've not had any leaks.
docmisalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 2,122
Drilling voids the guarantee .. if that matters to you.

Gluing .. Ricky was going to look into it years ago. Don't know how that went. Think Pelican cases are ABS .. what ever ... you will want the best glue for the plastic used that you can get. And a similar (if not the same) plastic to glue it to.

Note .. the design features used in http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102759 .. you should read through the thread to gather information .. should be glue in there too.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
myrwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
head over to Homedepot and grab some 4 - small (3/8') conduit clamps with 1/4 screws - done...and only 4 small holes in the pelican case
myrwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I've had a couple bad experiences with the Twisted Throttle mounts.

The lock is designed to jettison the case if you overload it. Seriously. According to Twisted Throttle this so that the lock doesn't get damaged.

I lost my Pelican im2600 Storm and about 7-8 lbs. of high-end camping gear last summer because of this. Thankfully it was found and later returned to me.

Twisted Throttle also considers riding a bike on gravel roads to be abuse. They said it cause too much "vibration". Buyer beware.

My suggestion? Fab up something yourself with bolts and fender washers.
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,741
Are you High? I don't want to drill, but if I do drill I'm putting in a battery outlet. Dude..one side or the other! Go get your tie downs and put a 12V outlet into your semi hard so you can slum it to wherever you decide.

Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Drilling voids the guarantee .. if that matters to you.
If you get the cases from Caribou predrilled with the mounting hardware the Pelican warranty stays intact.

But seriously, if you damage a pelican case, your bike is most likely totaled too.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigmatic View Post
I'm open to being talked into just drilling the case....seems like that might be the quickest/easiest/cheapest option. . .
I drilled 6 holes in each side case. Used fender washers. Under the fender washers I put black RTV sealant. Not many glues will stick to that kind of plastic, but under a fender washer it sticks to both the plastic and the stainless washer. It won't leak at any swimmable depth.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote