User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
texzen OP
BMW Engineer

Oddometer: 361
Help. Completely frustrated with my 10 GSA

I am a three time gs and GSA owner. Have enjoyed the bikes for years. Had no problems at all with an 03 1150 or 05 gs. I now ride a 2010 and loved the bike at first but have been plagued with fuel injection issues since a dead battery event. Bike has been to BMW under warranty 12 times. Sometimes for weeks. Tried the dealer buy back thing but they are fighting me. They just say there is nothing they can find wrong. Im a fairly sporty rider as far as gs riders go I think with lots of dirt and sport bike experience. I'm on bike number 56 that I have owned.. It's like my beemer and its horrifically designed BMSK
Fuel injection software is a different beast every day. If it's over 85 degrees out there is no power at all. It's so rediculusly lean it drives me crazy. No punch wont even wheelie in second (used to pull up in third without a clutch). I've tried everything. The dealer will correct it with a software reset but it will just adapt itself over the next 50 miles or so and get back to so lean it will ardly run. Repeat over and over.

It's a bueatiful bike with about 3500 bucks worth of farkle but I'm starting to consider taking a loss on it all and get into Triumph Explorer or S10 or 1200 Multistrada. Or do just I just take it in the jaw accept Germans are brilliant mechanical engineers but ruin everything with their software incompetence and dig deeper and put a power commander on it and engineer my own fuel and ignition maps....

Sad it realy running perfect until a dead battery one day and was never the same again....

Any ideas....

Currently in the Stable
2010 R1200GSA - The Valdez, 07 Goldwing - Mr smooth, 2011 Beta Trials Bike - The Grasshopper!, 44 before that....Including HD's, Katooms, Ducs, and nearly every dirt bike brand...
texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Have they tried replacing the ECU? Doesn't make sense but maybe the dead battery event has caused some undiagnosed issue.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I owned five Chevy Suburbans before I got a lemon and it sounds like you got a lemon. Every manufacturer ends up with a few. My 2010 1200 GSA with 34,000 miles has had a few typical problems, as most have but nothing serious. However, if you've seriously had twelve issues of the same type / relationship I highly recommend you start the Lemon Law process for your state ASAP. Most states only require three instances.

Here's a link to the Texas DMV site where you can start the process online:

http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm

Florida, where I lived at the time had a very good consumer lemon law program and we won our case. We already bought another Suburban by then as the other was clearly a lemon.

Expect the manufacturer to deny your case to start and even to the end, though they may privately tell you they have to appear to fight it due to corporate policy; it's just a process.. PIA but it is there for you if you need it.

Check on the laws in Texas and follow them to a T with all the documentation they require. In the end we got all the money back we paid on the car, plus we got our expenses for breakdowns, towing, hotels and lodging PLUS the cost of the rental truck we had for three months while the lemon law process worked... albeit slowly.

Hopefully you'll end up back on a Beemer as they're generally good bikes. You could switch brands and get a lemon there too.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
texzen OP
BMW Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomdude57 View Post
Have they tried replacing the ECU? Doesn't make sense but maybe the dead battery event has caused some undiagnosed issue.
No they have replaced fuel pump controllers - twice fuel pump itself, fuel pump strip twice, both o2 sensors twice, hall sensor, right injector and three batteries. Checked valves over and over. Re synced injectors many times. Re-flashed the BMSK like 10 times. Plugs- it eats em like candy due to lean burn. Test rode it for a total of about 500 miles. One tech will say he can't figure out why my bike runs like crap another will say seems fine to me. But trust me it's all messed up. Has stranded me several times when it won't start because it's so lean. if you let it sit overnight it will start fine. sometimes take off from an idle and it just coughs and dies.

Currently in the Stable
2010 R1200GSA - The Valdez, 07 Goldwing - Mr smooth, 2011 Beta Trials Bike - The Grasshopper!, 44 before that....Including HD's, Katooms, Ducs, and nearly every dirt bike brand...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
I However, if you've seriously had twelve issues of the same type / relationship I highly recommend you start the Lemon Law process for your state ASAP. Most states only require three instances.
I agree, I didn’t do it for my 05 and I regret it.

Talk to a Lemon Law lawyer and likely you will get a new bike with a minim of aggravation.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
texzen OP
BMW Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I agree, I didn’t do it for my 05 and I regret it.

Talk to a Lemon Law lawyer and likely you will get a new bike with a minim of aggravation.
Hmmm I didn't know such things exist. I talked to a lawyer? Who had some background in product liability and he started and ended the conversation by demanding a 5000 dollar retainer...

Currently in the Stable
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
You don't need a lawyer, just follow the process; it's a system set up for the ease of consumers and to protect them.

Patience it does require though and all your records of the problem.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
Hmmm I didn't know such things exist. I talked to a lawyer? Who had some background in product liability and he started and ended the conversation by demanding a 5000 dollar retainer...
Wrong Lawyer!!!!

There are plenty. Find another or just follow the procedure

Rod.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
SafteyCushion
"Ask better, learn more"

Oddometer: 81
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hassle.

I'm really surprised your dealer is not anxious to work with you and make you a satisfied customer.
I would think the Corporate BMW folks would have something to offer as well.
I can't imagine our dealer here in Utah or elsewhere would not make you a decent offer on a trade.

Keep us posted, and best of Luck!
SafteyCushion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
I am a three time gs and GSA owner. Have enjoyed the bikes for years. Had no problems at all with an 03 1150 or 05 gs. I now ride a 2010 and loved the bike at first but have been plagued with fuel injection issues since a dead battery event. Bike has been to BMW under warranty 12 times. Sometimes for weeks. Tried the dealer buy back thing but they are fighting me. They just say there is nothing they can find wrong. Im a fairly sporty rider as far as gs riders go I think with lots of dirt and sport bike experience. I'm on bike number 56 that I have owned.. It's like my beemer and its horrifically designed BMSK
Fuel injection software is a different beast every day. If it's over 85 degrees out there is no power at all. It's so rediculusly lean it drives me crazy. No punch wont even wheelie in second (used to pull up in third without a clutch). I've tried everything. The dealer will correct it with a software reset but it will just adapt itself over the next 50 miles or so and get back to so lean it will ardly run. Repeat over and over.

It's a bueatiful bike with about 3500 bucks worth of farkle but I'm starting to consider taking a loss on it all and get into Triumph Explorer or S10 or 1200 Multistrada. Or do just I just take it in the jaw accept Germans are brilliant mechanical engineers but ruin everything with their software incompetence and dig deeper and put a power commander on it and engineer my own fuel and ignition maps....

Sad it realy running perfect until a dead battery one day and was never the same again....

Any ideas....
If Texas has a lemon law for motorcycles, then just get a lawyer to write them a letter and that will be that. They will have no choice but to buy it back. The fact that they can't fix it in 12 tries covers it. Just because they can't find out what's wrong with it means nothing - that's what lemon laws are for.

I'm not sure about Germans being "brilliant engineers". I know that THEY believe that they are, but so far nothing I've seen in reality would support that! I could believe that I'm Jebus himself, but that don't make it so!

Of the three alternatives that you listed, IMO the S10 would be the most bang for the buck and most like the Energizer Bunny.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
if you let it sit overnight it will start fine
Now if this was a diesel engine I'd say it was the injectors - warming up and letting fuel return inadvertently. I've had that happen on my '02 Duramax. Had to replace all eight injectors.

That quote sounds like a fuel delivery problem when it's warm. Now whether it's a fuel system component or the ECU, I don't know. If there is a bad component within the ECU due to the dead battery for some odd reason (low voltage usually means a component is drawing more amps to compensate); flashing / or updating it will not cure it.

I honestly would get BMW North America involved pronto.
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
As someone else said, wrong lawyer. A friend Lemoned a car and he paid the attorney nothing up front and the attorney's fees were paid by the car manufacturer at the time of the settlement/buyback.

But can't hurt to talk to BMW first before hiring a lawyer...given the facts here they may jump at a settlement early.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Wrong Lawyer!!!!

There are plenty. Find another or just follow the procedure

Rod.
You don't need a lawyer for this.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,391
Unless they all do that something is wrong with yours for sure.

Try calling the dealer 3-4 times a day every day until they get sick of you and fix it.

New battery AFU? Sometimes new parts are bad, happens all the time.

Click here instead of power commander.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
You sure there's not a problem with power commander hookup, settings, hardware, software, etc?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote