Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
chasssmash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Anyone who thinks that a good rider can always avoid a collision with a deer simply doesn't know deer.
chasssmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
I am with Rivercreep, over 35 years on the street and never a close call.
So many people blame everything but themselves because they lack caution and/or skill in staying safe.

Cross country, night riding, riding to work, riding in all weather, and never a problem for me.
Other people crash often, or at least once and a while, yet I have never had a close call, and its not like I live in a prime motorcycle riding area...

I am not just lucky as I never hit the lottery or have people give me free bikes.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
[QUOTE=rivercreep;19780628]
Warning signs are everywhere and not being able to spot them is most definitely the "fault" of the rider.

/QUOTE]

Nope, there are definitely plenty of instances when you get absolutely no warning, no way of seeing them ahead of time and no were near enough time to react, no ones fault. I had one of those in my car, definitely made me think about how bad it would've been on my bike.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
So what's the answer?

I'm guessing October/November because that's breeding season and the bucks are running around loaded with tesoterone looking for does. Kind of like closing time.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
This is about the same for every northern state.... all of my 7 deer strikes fit right into the peak times of these profiles:

Also, FWIW, you'll see does and their dumb offspring, running across the road in a 5:1 ratio to bucks around my neck of the woods.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
So what's the answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I'm guessing October/November because that's breeding season and the bucks are running around loaded with tesoterone looking for does. Kind of like closing time.
Yep, November is the winner. October, November and December lead in the numbers.

Rather than what two months...I should have said the two times a year or two events in the life of deer that result in the highest number of collisions. Mating season is the worst time to be in deer areas (fall). Right after does give birth (may /June) in the spring is another bad time. Mothers can travel a little farther to get to and from food/water/baby.

Did you know the insurance companies have a hand in bag limits. Yep, deer collisions by location statistics are used.
In my state, the numbers are about 1 in 100 licensed motorists will hit a deer next year.

Edit: I see Snapper posted some charts while I was typing. :)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
One rider was killed when a tree fell on him.[/B]
That's how you know it was your time... When a fucking tree falls out of the sky and smites you.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
bighairless
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am with Rivercreep, over 35 years on the street and never a close call.
So many people blame everything but themselves because they lack caution and/or skill in staying safe.

Cross country, night riding, riding to work, riding in all weather, and never a problem for me.
Other people crash often, or at least once and a while, yet I have never had a close call, and its not like I live in a prime motorcycle riding area...

I am not just lucky as I never hit the lottery or have people give me free bikes.

Some people able to fit events into a neat, narrow, category. Congrats!

All you need to understand is time, distance, speed and line of clear sight. If you never exceed a speed that will allow something else to occupy the same space...good for you (you better get that 1980's moped tuned up). If your capable of doing the math a previous post will help you determine how much distance is needed and the very low speed needed to avoid such 'interactions'...Do you slow way down at night? Do you ever exceed the distance/time/space/speed needed to avoid sharing space with some critter?

I really am happy for your many years of great riding and I hope the next 35 are much in the same but if you ride in deer (animal) country and you don't do what was discussed in the previous paragraph, it IS about luck for you... Keep trying the lottery.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Trust me Bighairless, I inderstand the point you're trying to make and it's the reason I said what I did the first time...my fuck-up is on its way...
"My fuck-up" for arguments sake, isn't a mistake, or a lack of reaction time on my part. (I hear you loud and clear here!)...it's my deciding to ride and taking the added "risk" in the first place. = semantics. ...as I know it's only a matter of time until IT happens and I might get taken out.
I gladly take that risk, for the LIVING, I enjoy in the NOW!.

The first big mistake is thinking that you ride so well that you've taken most of the risk out of it.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
I can only laugh at this point in conversation.

I think a few here need to re-read my first post if they think I'm saying I'm perfect and it can't happen to me.

Here's one more hint as to how I'm thinking...

Look at the Deer strike table that was posted here. Now take note as to if you will slow down during those months to help minimize the risk or if you continue on at the same old pace.
If you continue on at the same old pace (now that you've been educated a little) = whose at fault?
...and yet, some will call ME ignorant.
I'm surprised no one posted a time of day time table as well.
(never mind! missed it! DOH! ...Hope I miss the deer too!)

If I don't go just a little bit slower during the higher strike periods and ride with a little more caution, how am I NOT AT FAULT? (if I still manage to strike a Deer)
True, it can still happen but, I never said it couldn't and as I stated, it's MY FAULT for riding to begin with (and as I also noted, I'd rather LIVE in the now than die before I'm dead) but, I'm willing to live with the consequences. (even if that means death)

rivercreep screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 03:25 PM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
you could just go allot faster eventually you'll just cut the deer in half.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #27
bighairless
Adventurer

Quote:
I can only laugh at this point in conversation.

I think a few here need to re-read my first post if they think I'm saying I'm perfect and it can't happen to me.

Here's one more hint as to how I'm thinking...

Look at the Deer strike table that was posted here. Now take note as to if you will slow down during those months to help minimize the risk or if you continue on at the same old pace.
If you continue on at the same old pace (now that you've been educated a little) = whose at fault?
...and yet, some will call ME ignorant.
I'm surprised no one posted a time of day time table as well.

If I don't go just a little bit slower during the higher strike periods and ride with a little more caution, how am I NOT AT FAULT? (if I still manage to strike a Deer)
True, it can still happen but, I never said it couldn't and as I stated, it's MY FAULT for riding to begin with (and as I also noted, I'd rather LIVE in the now than die before I'm dead) but, I'm willing to live with the consequences. (even if that means death)
Read your first post again... How about the others? I might miss the warning signs.
You have been talking jive about headlamps/perepheral vision/situational awareness/habits/skills/pointing straight at the deer while scrubbing of speed... because they always run from predators (they never freeze and get plowed by cars ). I've never seen that happen (twice-just not me those times). Now your talking about slowing down (after I did some math for you) during peak times/months or it's the riders fault..and you think your first posts didn't appear ignorant?
Thank you so much for clearing it up for me. Why didn't you just say so in the first place...Maybe it was about skills/lights/no abs or something... then.

Well, you win, you're 100% right. We should all go about 35 miles an hour on back roads to assure stopping or swerving abilities for animal encounters or it's the riders fault; live in the now and deal with the results...I could have avoided the deer collision had I slowed down to 35 (hell, she would crossed the road minutes before I got there)...might've got taken out from behind by a texting teen going 70 but that's another thread.

Good day sir.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
I'll never dare say I'm infallible but, I disagree with the part I highlighted.
Skills and observation play a large part in a riders beating the odds stacked up against them.

F.W.I.W. I have no health insurance (can't afford that AND food) but still commute daily, including all winter long (even when it snows)...that's how confident I am in my skills. (no ABS either)

When it comes to Deer vs. cagers = I'll take the Deer any time as I still think they're more predictable than people.
Warning signs are everywhere and not being able to spot them is most definitely the "fault" of the rider.

...and yes!; I'm sure my fuck-up, is on its way. (I don't kid myself that one day I'll be off my game but, it will most certainly BE MY FAULT)

famous last words.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
You Guys are sooooo literal!
L.M.A.O! even harder now!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,417
Larry Grodsky was killed by a deer strike.

'nuff said.

Do everything you can to limit the odds, but if you ride all the time, year round, then that means you ride sometimes when you're tired, or angry, or sick, or dehydrated. You can be off your game and not even realize it until it's too late.

Be careful out there, and stay humble.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote