Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
Well I guess it is time for me to be more proactive and not ride where there are any trees or during prime tree falling months/hours.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
I think the point is, sometimes you're just SOL

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3440385

Like this guy.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
No! YOU can't but, you can use their instinct to flee predators and as you scrub off speed, aim for them, they'll do the rest. (they always run away from the direction of travel their "attacker" takes) Cages= not as much predictability there. (people are too stupid and have lost most of their survival instincts...that's Why I'd rather deal with the Deer)

It would be hard for me to actually aim for the deer. It would go against my basic survival instincts!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #34
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
i lurk regularliy but seldom post. but this i have to say.
rivercreep =idiot
deer are by far the biggest danger to a rider. i know several people who have come to a complete stop and had a deer run into them. and yeah miss the first one but how about the one right behind it.
there is no i repeat no defense for a deer coming out of the woods at full tilt..none
BTW is rivercreep just a troll? he's doing a pretty good job of it.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasssmash View Post
Anyone who thinks that a good rider can always avoid a collision with a deer simply doesn't know deer.
I aim for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
i lurk regularliy but seldom post. but this i have to say.
rivercreep =idiot

BTW is rivercreep just a troll? he's doing a pretty good job of it.
rivercreep is a rider that actually rides and tends to avoid trouble by paying attention when he rides.

Lurk more post less.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:05 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #36
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
The major reason i didn't ride after dark in OZ, were the 'roos. They'd be sitting on the side of the road, minding their own busines, sort of speak, next thing, with one hop, could be 4 meters long, they'd be right in front of you, taking fraction of a second. In Canberra region, the Capital, where culling was not an option, the 'roo population exploded. I'd rather take my chance's with a moose, here in Finland, as they're fairly predictable, i'd hate to hit one on the bike though, it wouid be like hitting a brick wall
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,009
Hit deer, hit moose, hit by a tree...reading this thread makes me want to hit the pub!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
flying_junk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I'm a pretty young rider, 24, but that doesn't mean I don't understand the concept (I may lack some experience).

I ride year round, and I have to agree with rivercreep. I take full responsibility for my safety. If you ride in an area where there are deer, and you are aware that they can be dangerous, and possibly unpredictable... and you do nothing to limit your risks (such as slow down, or be ready to squeeze the brakes), then you are playing Russian roulette of the road.

Yes, there will be deer that catch you off guard, or some instances where it is physically impossible to come to a stop before hitting the deer. absolutely. And some of us may decide that going the speed limit is worth the risk vs. slowing down. Sometimes that's the case and we do get into a situation where we are over our heads... But remember, YOU made the decision to go faster than you can react.

I don't always ride the appropriate speed, but I at least think about it. and if something happens, well then it is MY fault for making a decision with regards to speed, lane choice, timing, etc.
flying_junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I aim for them.
I'm guessing your not joking since you defend the other guy saying the same thing. ...that's about as ignorant of an idea as I've seen posted and I hope some newbie doesn't decide it's a good idea because some keyboard master with sixteen thousand some odd posts says so.

If you have enough time to aim for them, you would be better off hitting the binders to the limits rather than alter course. Deer will not always run from something coming at them. How many times have you seen them standing next to the road with a vehicle going past them and they do nothing but watch? Hell, I've seen deer jump into the side of vehicles. Also deer don't have the greatest traction on a road surface and will frequently fall when trying to maneuver.

There is no 100% predicting what a deer will do in any given situation. Period.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #40
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairless View Post
I'm guessing your not joking since you defend the other guy saying the same thing. ...that's about as ignorant of an idea as I've seen posted and I hope some newbie doesn't decide it's a good idea because some keyboard master with sixteen thousand some odd posts says so.

If you have enough time to aim for them, you would be better off hitting the binders to the limits rather than alter course. Deer will not always run from something coming at them. How many times have you seen them standing next to the road with a vehicle going past them and they do nothing but watch? Hell, I've seen deer jump into the side of vehicles. Also deer don't have the greatest traction on a road surface and will frequently fall when trying to maneuver.

There is no 100% predicting what a deer will do in any given situation. Period.
oh boy, now you're in for it ! that cal. guy knows all about deer. here in lakes country of MN. we really aren't that familiar with them.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
I wish I could get bass to bite on bait that stinky.

But apparently bass no more about bait than n00bs.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
This is about the same for every northern state.... all of my 7 deer strikes fit right into the peak times.
Just goes to show what women can do to you. Crazy fuckers jump out in front of cars literally chasing tail!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #43
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairless View Post

Go fetch me a beer n00b.

I didn't say that I don't brake... But if I am going to hit a deer (which I have) I am going to do it while upright and threshold braking. If you make contact while trying to swerve around one your likelihood of a faceplant is at or near 100%

I have hit a big buck and I know of 5 riders that hit deer just last year and NONE of them went down. Their bikes were a mess and one ended up having surgery on his knee but they did not go down.

So you go ahead and councel riders new and old on just how to do it and spouting off your folly on the web.

Some of us are actually out there riding and survivng deer encounters.

I will maintain that if you are going to hit one... Do it while upright. ("aim for them")

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 01:02 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Go fetch me a beer n00b.

I didn't say that I don't brake... But if I am going to hit a deer (which I have) I am going to do it while upright and threshold braking. If you make contact while trying to swerve around one your likelihood of a faceplant is at or near 100%

I have hit a big buck and I know of 5 riders that hit deer just last year and NONE of them went down. Their bikes were a mess and one ended up having surgery on his knee but they did not go down.

So you go ahead and councel riders new and old on just how to do it and spouting off your folly on the web.

Some of us are actually out there riding and survivng deer encounters.

I will maintain that if you are going to hit one... Do it while upright. ("aim for them")
Get you a beer? Because you actually ride and survive deer encounters or because your sixteen thousand'th something post makes you that good? ... Or maybe your ability to come to one solution fits all.

There is no 'one' correct course of action for encountering deer and my post was to make the 'n00b' rider think before they decide to follow: "I aim for them"...without any type of explaination (thanks for clearing it up in the quoted post).

Your five buddies must be doing it wrong. I rode the bike home. No surgery needed.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

So did they.