User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
DirtyRoadie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Chain Slap

Quick question here. I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on my 990 and now I'm getting loud, annoying chain slap when I accelerate under 4000 RPM in the top 3 gears. I never had that with the 17 tooth sprocket. So my question is do I run the chain tighter than I was with the 17?? As soon as this chain wears out I'm going to 17/45 gearing, hopefully that will cure the problem for good. Thanks for any constructive input.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
Yeah, smaller circumference of the front sprocket means more slack. The manual says how much slack you have to have and where to measure it. Page 67 I think.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Yeah, smaller circumference of the front sprocket means more slack. The manual says how much slack you have to have and where to measure it. Page 67 I think.
Agreed. Regardless of the sprockets you run the slack or play in the chain should be as per the manual. Too loose and it will do some damage and could get jammed which is a whole world of pain you want to avoid

Get those spanners out....................
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
DirtyRoadie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the replies. I do have the chain tension proper according to the manual and I'm still getting the slap. Thats why I was wondering if I need to run the 16 with less than recomended slack.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Sprocket or chain worn?

I am running the 16/45 setup set up on tbe loose side of tolerance and don't have chain slap issues. Might check and see if the front sprocket is worn out (starting to hook) or if the chain is worn. Or if the front chain sprocket is anftermarket one, if so it might be out of round which would cause chain slap
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,154
I don't have any chain slap. I have the 245mm ('05 'S' spec) suspension and leave my chain fairly loose, about 38-40mm droop from the chain on the swingarm measured between the links against the swingarm then letting them drop down when the bike's on it's side stand (I have the standard sized non 'S' sidestand as well).

Not really a standard method and the chain is a little loose but it works for me. My last chain went from ~18,500 to ~33,500 miles with some gnarly mountain off-roading in there. My sprockets had plenty of life left when I replaced everything as a set. I measure with calipers from the chain adjusting bolt nut to the back of the axle blocks to keep everything aligned.

's how I do it anyway and it works for me YMMV
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
All bikes will have a certain amount of chain slap when lugging the engine. I think the manual has a range of acceptable tensions. The only time I've ever had a bike that didn't have chain slap was when my RC8 came back from the dealership from its first service.

The only thing to be wary about is overtightening a chain: this puts more stress on the countershaft when the suspension compresses. So if you're launching your bike or really working the suspension you want it to be a bit looser to allow for the suspension travel. If you're riding it to Starbucks and the most the suspension compresses is when it goes over a speed bump, you can run it tighter.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Thanks for the replies. I do have the chain tension proper according to the manual and I'm still getting the slap. Thats why I was wondering if I need to run the 16 with less than recomended slack.
I suspect you had the chain too tight to begin with. A bit of chain slap is a happy chain.... Easy to over tighten.

Switching front sprockets - I do this all the time with my dirt wheels vs road wheels (stock). I have to adjust the chain each time.
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
All bikes will have a certain amount of chain slap when lugging the engine.
^^ +1.

All my bikes have a little slap when lugging. I notice my 990 doing it when I'm lugging it a gear high and try to accelerate from the lower RPM range...Down shift and it will go away.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,644
Ear plugs
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Stumpalump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
^^ +1.

All my bikes have a little slap when lugging. I notice my 990 doing it when i'm lugging it a gear high and try to accelerate from the lower rpm range...down shift and it will go away.
x3
KTM 200 EXC.
XR400
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote