User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Thomasttom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
From MTS to 990: I'm I crazy?!

First post here! A friend of mine made me discover this wonderfull community and I'm happy to join.

Here's my thing. Bought a lightly used 2011 MTS touring a few months ago at a very good price. Very cool road bike, lots a power. Was my first Ducati. Enjoy the bike but find it very buzy for such an expensive machine. And all that electronic left me stranded a couple of times. I know I will not keep the MTS for years...

I had a 990 adv 2009 for a year as a second bike and I found it to be a lot of fun. But I sold it at the end of the warranty as I struggled with a few problems that killed my confidence in the bike.

But now this: my ktm dealer is making me an incredible deal on a brand new 2012 ADV and, guess what, I'm tempted! The blue one is a beauty... and it would be the last chance of buying a 990 as ktm will stop production very soon.

The thing is I'm not doing a lot of offroad riding, even if I wish I could (and hope I will). And I must say that my intention was to wait until 2015 (or maybe 2014) to buy the new Adventure 1190 ( the R looks much better imho and has less electronics).

So would it be crazy to change my MTS for a 990 ADV even if I'm not doing much offroad riding?! Sould I resist to the temptation of the 990 and wait for the 1190 in a year or two? Money is no object cause the selling price of my MTS will be about the same as the price of the new 990. Thanks for your advice.
Thomasttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,114
IMHO: As the owner of a '11 MTS1200, '10 990 R, and '12 R1200GSA within the last year....

The 990 belongs on dirt 50/50. Anything less than that and you are taking a lethal dirt machine away from its home.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
It's actually quite fun on the road aswell. The fun thing about the 950/990 is the versatility of the bike.
Great on the offroad to play around and great on the road to play around aswell. The engine just awakens the inner hooligan.

It's hard to say to wait or to go for the 990, none of us have tested the 1190 machine yet.
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Love the 990 on the street

I ride 98% on the road. I commute in the city on it. I ride between Tahoe and San Francisco a few times a month and all over the Bay Area for fun and work. Rides down or up the coast on highway 1. I ride fire roads in Tahoe during the summer. Nothing gnarly. Dirt is new to me but I do like riding these types of roads and learning to ride more off road. I mostly bought the bike for this reason because of the roads in tahoe go forever, and on road trips where there are so many places just a few miles off main roads that are cool to check out and camp.

I just had a tuneup. New chain and sprockets including a 16 up front down from 17. I also had new tires put on, changed from the Heidenau's to a pair of Continental Trail Attacks. They say 80 street 20 dirt. I rode them around highway 1 a few hundred miles and from San Francisco to Tahoe on them. AMAZING feel. The bike is super smooth and has a great feel. Never will quite have the feel of a street only bike- but that's part of what I personally like, mixed with how versatile this bike truly is. Grocery-getter/commuter/touring/dirt, etc...

I bought my bike with 4,000 on it. Now about 24,000. No problems

Stoked on my 2008
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I agree with CF-Rider. I ride my 950 Adventure daily, for long distance tours, off road, dirt road exploring and just about everything else. I usually put 20,000 a year on my bikes and Ive not found another bike that does everything so well as the big KTM. Its not a serious dirt bike, nor is it a Gold Wing, but it is a seriously great [do everything] motorcycle.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
IMHO: As the owner of a '11 MTS1200, '10 990 R, and '12 R1200GSA within the last year....

The 990 belongs on dirt 50/50. Anything less than that and you are taking a lethal dirt machine away from its home.

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
After I put a set of Woody's 19/17 tubeless wheels on my 990 it completely changed the way the bike handled. On the road I'm very tempted to put on my leathers and see if I can drag a knee, I have that much confidence now in the front end. The 21" front is great on the dirt but I've been running knobbies for so long I can't remember how it felt with a 21" Scorpion.

The other thing is we've figured out that the electrical issues with the 990's fueling system can be fixed relatively easily with TuneECU. I loathed mine because the fueling was so bad but after a tuner got a hold of it I love it. Now that I've also found out that the 1200 GS motor is pretty wimpy, there's not a way in the world I'd ride anything else.

I've got a Duc too. 999s. Great bike but damn you can't work on the thing unless you're fluent in Italian and have a degree in computer programming.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
It's actually quite fun on the road aswell.
This.

It is an absolute blast on pavement.

Quote:
Not this.

If I NEVER AGAIN rode mine off-road, I would still consider it an excellent motorcycle, and I believe it would continue to function just fine in a pavement-only environment.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
When both bikes are working fine-- which do you enjoy more?

Although the stock 990 handles very well, I'll echo a previous poster in saying that a 19/17 setup (I have one) on the 990 gets you pretty close to an MS12 experience for street riding while still providing the flexibility to run the 21/18 if you want to do more technical off pavement riding. Somewhat expensive, so that changes the finances a bit.

The other thing is that the fueling on the newer bikes seems to be much better stock than older models.

Another thing to consider is what the market for used 990s will be when the 1190 is available, at least if you're pretty sure you'll want to get one.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,387
I'm willing to trade you my 990 Adv for your MTS straight across.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I'm willing to trade you my 990 Adv for your MTS straight across.
Not me. No way in hell. I like my 990 too much.

Just sayin'.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Not me. No way in hell. I like my 990 too much.

Just sayin'.
I sold two Ducatis to buy my KTM. I would have bought a Multistrada if it wasn't approximately twice as much.

I like the KTM, but I'm not feeling like it's "the perfect bike" or anything.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post

No issues here. I still have two KTM's.

After putting 17k on the MTS, 12k on the 990 R, and 3k on the 1200 GSA, I know which bike that I like this month....

And now they are changing 2 of em'.....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I like the KTM, but I'm not feeling like it's "the perfect bike" or anything.
I have concluded that no bike is perfect but some do shine better than others.

Bikes are like personalities, you just need to find the bike that fits your style and current needs.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
I have concluded that no bike is perfect but some do shine better than others.
Isn't that what they made garages and shed for? More and more motorcycle storage?
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote