Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #46
Rocer10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I may have my jurisdictions confused but my understanding is that you can retrieve the seized item( perhaps after the optioned trial date if you go that route). Phone the OPP station and make an inquiry. It's not illegal to own one it's illegal to use it, at least in ON.

A few years back we had a group of riders from the U.S. stay with us so I made a preemptory call to the local station and was told that if any of the U.S. riders had a warning device it had to be disabled ie. not connected to a power source that it best be stowed away.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #47
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
What do they do (in Ontario) if you install a garage door opener on the bike, and just let it cycle/emit as you drive down the road?
I Like that idea !!! if they figure out they are wasting time with a stupid law maybe they ........ never mind.
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #48
eviee1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Had lived in Ontario, OPP were nice to me, got a verbal warning for speeding. Now live in Calgary, the city police I do not have anything nice to say about. Got pulled over in a harass people on motorcycles checkpoint on 22X. My insurance papers had expired by 13 days, and I did not have the current ones. Police refused to allow me to call the insurance co to verify the policy was active, charged me with failure to produce.
eviee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #49
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 867
Had the same thing happen years back in Madoc with the OPP. He asked for the detector, I said "a moment please" unplugged it, then smashed it under my heel, handed him the pieces and he handed me the ticket. Wouldn't discuss options.

Bottom line though- Detectors are illegal and the law allows the OPP to sieze them.
I wouldn't waste my time in court.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #50
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
OP - You missed an option...

4) Move back to BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I have 3 options..

1) pay and say nothing. I can put my visa # on the ticket and mail it in.

2) Plead guilty but face a justice team. No charge..

3) Plead not guilty and face judge.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
4) Move back to BC

Even with the detector i got 4 speeding tickets while in BC. One of them was with a group of 6 all doing 140 in an 80. Pulled us all over, I got the only ticket in the group. 3 of us had detectors.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
DTVD
Still thumping

Oddometer: 11
Make an appointment to see the Justice of the Peace or Crown Attorney. My 19 year old Son did that after being nailed with a Careless Driving Charge after going to a reporting station to report a accident with no damage done to either vehicle but the passenger of the other car wanted a $1000.00 for injury but to not report it. Needless to say he was fuming and felt let down by the system. I went with him and he saw the Crown by himself and worked out a deal with Him. They then went to the courts and the Justice of the Peace threw it out and the JP had the Court put in its records that the Country needs more upstanding young people like him and also asked My name and congratulated Me on my Sons attitude and respect for the law. I'm great full for that action because it instilled some fairness of the system back with my Son. and it cost him nothing.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Even with the detector i got 4 speeding tickets while in BC. One of them was with a group of 6 all doing 140 in an 80. Pulled us all over, I got the only ticket in the group. 3 of us had detectors.
It sounds like the detectors work very well!
Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #54
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
I can't even hear mine at them speeds, but it is old. From them old days when I did slam the brakes more than once so the guy behind me got the ticket but that was always cars. With bikes I sure warned the others that I was so equipped and to watch for my brake light at all times. No need to get rear ended by a buddy.

Cop even smoked his tires once to get the following car and probably flatspotted them from the amount of smoke. No ticket needed after a well over 10,000 Kms "no ticket" ride and I was almost home in Victoria.

These days I rely much more on road sense....and my nose to sniff them out. Touch wood maybe but no ticket in BC in 20 years and I sure met lots of them cops the last few years.And in other provinces also. Just so happened that for some reason I may have instinctively slowed down.

Sure had to talk to a few of them, other province and the USAs but the outcome was always.....reasonable. But I did get a somewhat dirty look from one in WA as I had forgotten to switch it off entering the state, illegal in WA them things.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Geeez, it's not like the old days...

Thanks for the warning officer

You've had some bad luck,
I'd consider riding at the back of the pack in future, or ride where I live at the moment - no rules - no nada

Quote:
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #56
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
It was pretty frustrating.. First time in my life I watched someone to do something of mine where I had no recourse.
Get used to it. If you're going to ride in Ontario you're going to get ass raped by the OPP on a regular basis, and you're right in the middle of their popular Red Zone. Wait until you start riding again in the Spring, when you'll be stopped three times in a week for a "document/equipment check".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
The O.Reg you are quoting pertains to cars, not bikes. The highway traffic act defines the seat on a motorcycle as a "saddle". This reg has nothing to do with bikes.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are a LEO, most are pretty clueless about the laws they used to fill their quota's.

Here's the actual HTA Section 172, which everyone that rides in Ontario will become familiar with on a personal level eventually. Has to be about the worst written, and becoming the most abused, section of the HTA.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm

Pertinent part:
Quote:
6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.
Bikes are indeed motor vehicle's, and more riders standing on their pegs have been busted than actual street racer's under this bullshit law. Sure some MADD Libtard supporter wanted it in there to combat the plague of "ghostriding", but intent has never stopped some fuckstick from filling his quota.

My personal fav section of 172: Police services are specifically excluded from later civil action trying to recoup costs from bogus charges.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #57
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 779
Although I feel your pain, ignorance is no defence of the law...

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 193
Hate to sound cynical

Good thing you didn't move to Quebec (where I grew up). Drivers would often keep a $5 bill (I'm dating myself) with their drivers license and it would magically disappear once the cop 'examined' the license.
Tin Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #59
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
The OPP always have treated me fairly when coming through Ontario (Highway 17 to Sault Ste.Marie)..even on the gong show stretch of the Trans Canada around Kenora. I always take off my helmet and speak politely etc..they is the law so why fight it? So I must be missing the ones who haggle bikers?

Maybe offer the meaner ones some BC Bud???
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #60
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
I have been surprised...

...over the years, that when I have been stopped for any reason,usually going a bit faster than I should (no matter which Province or State it has been in), at how many of the cops are riders.

Im all cases, it's been a polite, slow down a bit, don't want to be picking you up off the pavement...

Most of them seem to be more interested in the bike, and how i like it.

Honestly, no really bad experience with them.