Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
wtct OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Enduro and trials boots

Hi,

Usually I'm enduro (not dual sport) rider but now I'm new to trials. I'm looking for new boots which I can use in enduro and trials. Boots need to be secure and comfortable for enduro and satisfactory for trials. Now I wear basic boots - Forma Terrain and I don't have suffiecient feeling of my bike.

I prefer one best pair of boots than two average.

Is there any compromise? I consider Fox Instrinct boots - probably most comfortable enduro/motocross boot.

Has anyone tried this boots in trials riding?

Any suggestions?
wtct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
I would recommend just getting a second pair of boots. Trials and Enduro have very different needs. If you did find a compromise boot, it would suck at both.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,018
I think if your going to ride light enduro you could use a set of trials boots but a second set for trials only would be a much better idea in my minds eye.

Trials boots are just so much more flexible than MX/enduro boots it would be much harder to find anything that could do both well. Would expect them to suck at both.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,497
I think the Sidi Discovery's are good compromise. Flexible and easy enough to walk in for trials, yet have some stoutness for general trail riding, plus they are waterproof. But a separate boot for each discipline is always the best.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Even the sole/tread design and intent is very different. Enduro is more of a sliding pivot, Trials is a sticky hiking boot.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,978
2whlr is correct the Sidi`s would be the closest. But if you ever wore a real pair of trials boots you might disagree. I wore stiff boots for years for the protection factor.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 670
Alpinestar Scouts are intended for dualsport. They are halfway between my trials and enduro boots.

But really, they are kinda stiff compared to Gaerne trials boots. And I think they are a compromise for dualsport -- not nearly as stiff for smashes and grinds.

Look, you have enduro boots and have to buy another pair anyway...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I have a pair of Sidi Discovery boots for sale. Size 46, barely used. 275
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 724
I'll pile on here. Being stubborn and cheap, I tried to make my sidi mx boots that are hinged and really floppy work for trials. I still cannot believe how much difference it made to get real trials boots.. I also can't really imagine riding my 450 hard with the trial boots on, I would relly worry about lack of protection. One pair really can't work for both purposes.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
PTRadam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I ride both trials and enduro in a pair of Sidi Discovery's. I think they work great for both purposes. They have a flat sole like a trials boot and are more than flexible enough for trials work. They also have a steel toe protector and hard shin protection. I come from a Garne Balance so I think I have a good idea of how they compare.
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 724
I'll pile on here. Being stubborn and cheap, I tried to make my sidi mx boots that are hinged and really floppy work for trials. I still cannot believe how much difference it made to get real trials boots.. I also can't really imagine riding my 450 hard with the trial boots on, I would really worry about lack of protection. One pair really can't work for both purposes.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
imsroll
BigBoreSavant

Oddometer: 62
The fox instincts unfortunately are no good for either of the riding you want to do.. The instincts are primarily a moto boot with little to no traction on the sole, witch is no good for enduro or trials where your foot may be dabbing on wet rocks, roots, mud, ect ect. If price is a big deal in your selection and you are very new to trials you may want to try just using a set of hiking boots while your practicing balance and throttle control. May not have to worry about a "real" trial boot untill you get around to doing stuff you can crash on.
imsroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtct View Post
Hi,

Usually I'm enduro (not dual sport) rider but now I'm new to trials. I'm looking for new boots which I can use in enduro and trials. Boots need to be secure and comfortable for enduro and satisfactory for trials. Now I wear basic boots - Forma Terrain and I don't have suffiecient feeling of my bike.

I prefer one best pair of boots than two average.

Is there any compromise? I consider Fox Instrinct boots - probably most comfortable enduro/motocross boot.

Has anyone tried this boots in trials riding?

Any suggestions?
Did you buy a Trials specific motorcycle?
I would say Trials specific boots are just as important as the motorcycle (and a lot less expensive), and you can ride your enduro bike in them if you want (although they do offer less protection).
Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,421
Post #2 broncobowser's post is the pretty accurate. I skimmed to fast, but most are saying same thing, there is NO compromise. if you value your toes and bones, get both, ifyou wanna ride trials WELL...

I have dual sport friends, (ya'll know Rec.motorcycle.dirt old newsgroups?) couple people damn near lost toes wearing trials boots, while woods riding.

Trials boots are like calf high thicker leather tennis-shoes, boots that protect you from losing toes at speeds on things or broken ankles at speeds are closer to being SKI BOOTS, rigid. Street boots even have different needs.

Trials boots are flexible, like baskeball, you need flexible, but some support for ankle, but shit I could twist my ankles at a whim in any thing but ski boots as a teen, spent more time on crutches my sophomore year, than in shoes.

find some used trials boots. get really good boots for whichever you ride, your health is worth more than the next few beers or cigs you were gonna spend anyhow.

Sting32 screwed with this post 04-09-2015 at 08:45 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote