User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:13 AM   #1
Motorambler OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New to Trials Bikes. Need Advice.

Just sold my dirt bike (2014 KTM 350 XCF), and am considering riding a trials bike for a year or two just for something new and to learn some new skills that I can take back to dirt bikes.

Local shop has new Sherco bikes that look great, but now I am so used to a fuel injected dirt bike that the thought of carbs and jetting does not appeal to me at all. I have a chance to buy a used 2009 Montessa 260, but would also consider a new one.

So what's the deal with 4t and 2T trials bikes? Are the Montessa bikes super heavy compared to the 2T Shercos? What about ease of service (oil and filter changes), is it comparably easy on both these bikes?
Motorambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
The Montesa is a well engineered motorcycle. Those that really ride trials prefer a lighter bike. Some people just have to have that Honda engine. You will learn the cool tricks faster on a lighter bike. When the Montesa first arrived, I made my personal choice in five minutes. Not for me. The Montesa 4RT is the greatest trail bike ever made. Pure fun. They really need to make a street legal version.
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,689
Welcome! True about the Montesa, but I'd not be put off at all by a carburetor, nor would I distort a buying decision based on one requirement: FI. The Shercos are fantastic bikes and I think you'd be in love on one. If they have the new Scorpa Twenty (really a Sherco with the gas tank in the 'normal' position), it is KTM colored and a fantastic bike.

A major consideration is most trials bikes are SO simple to work on. There isn't a lot of crap burying a carburetor, for example, especially on some bikes. To get to the carb on my GasGas I remove the subframe. Sounds like a big deal, no? NO! loosen one air boot screw and remove four M6 flat head cap screws and lift off the subframe. BOOM. There is the Keihin carb. I can do it in under a minute.

As for altitude, when I go from OK to NM mountains, the only jet I change is the main jet, and that takes a whole 5 minutes. The 2 stroke carbureted bikes run super smoothly and start very easily and consistently.

Welcome to the dark side. After an initial phase of "what the!" and your ego taking a spanking because trials is different and hard, you'll be sad it took you so long to get to this place
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote