Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Rude gestures.

My primary riding partner (my wife) and I discuss bike 2 bike commo at least three times a year . . . .we've always asked the question "have we missed anything important due to the lack of voice commo." So far, the answer is no.

Add to that, visit any motorcycle forum, and some of the longest threads seem to be involving complex commo lashups on bikes that don't quite meet the rider's requirements . . . . . . .

But I hope you find something that works for you!
my wife and i said the same thing. this year i broke down and bought the Sena smh-10 dual pack. we were on a 2 week motorcycle trip and while we wouldn't have missed anything without the units, i do say that the units added to the trip. it was nice to comment about things that we were seeing, or just to talk.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
my wife and i said the same thing. this year i broke down and bought the Sena smh-10 dual pack. we were on a 2 week motorcycle trip and while we wouldn't have missed anything without the units, i do say that the units added to the trip. it was nice to comment about things that we were seeing, or just to talk.

Its when you ride in a group where bike comms really adds to the ride and organization. last month a group of us did the Southern Sierra Adventure Route and relaly enjoyed the group comms and the communication with the 2 4X4's that accompanied us. Next summer we are doing the COBDR and comms will be a nessesity.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
I ride regularly with a group using comms and really enjoy it. Changes a lot- most people I know who DON'T like them have not used them, an I strongly prefer to ride with people using them.

I use a Yaesu 2m ham radio with a Rugged Radios/Baja Designs setup. These are the only mics I've seen/heard that are worthy of the off-road environment.

Here's a link:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...roducts_id=586

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Oil-Burner
Ssssssssmokin

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
Sena SMH-10 bluetooth unit, Sena SR-10 two way adapter, FDC 5 watt radio, PTT mounted on the left hand grip.

Heaps more range than Bluetooth and works regardless of what radio or bluetooth system others I want to talk too are using.
And I can contact emergency services if the need arrises
Great setup! and the SR-10 allowed me to connect my non-bluetooth Garmin too.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
I ride regularly with a group using comms and really enjoy it. Changes a lot- most people I know who DON'T like them have not used them, an I strongly prefer to ride with people using them.

I use a Yaesu 2m ham radio with a Rugged Radios/Baja Designs setup. These are the only mics I've seen/heard that are worthy of the off-road environment.

Here's a link:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...roducts_id=586
That setup is populate with the SDAR folks in San Diego but its not very flexible to communicate with others that don't have the same setup. The yaesu is a nice radio but its a single band 136-174Mhz which of course is ham license restricted. What you want is a radio that can talk with the ham users and others on GMRS radios. The BaoFeng UV-5R is 50 bucks which is like 1/5 the price of the Yaesu the SDAR guys are using and its dual band 136-174 / 400-479.995 MHz. Which means it can communicate with the Ham users like the Yaesu users and the non ham "walkie talkies" like the poplular GMRS radios. So you can spend a lot more on a Yaesu but your not really going to get more.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
That setup is populate with the SDAR folks in San Diego but its not very flexible to communicate with others that don't have the same setup. The yaesu is a nice radio but its a single band 136-174Mhz which of course is ham license restricted. What you want is a radio that can talk with the ham users and others on GMRS radios. The BaoFeng UV-5R is 50 bucks which is like 1/5 the price of the Yaesu the SDAR guys are using and its dual band 136-174 / 400-479.995 MHz. Which means it can communicate with the Ham users like the Yaesu users and the non ham "walkie talkies" like the poplular GMRS radios. So you can spend a lot more on a Yaesu but your not really going to get more.

Why thank you for telling me what I want. The thread title is:

"What are You Using for Bike to Bike Communication"

and I believe I answered that.

Yes, I bought the Yaseu a long time ago.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Why thank you for telling me what I want. The thread title is:

"What are You Using for Bike to Bike Communication"

and I believe I answered that.

Yes, I bought the Yaseu a long time ago.
I was approaching the conversation from the perspective of informing the reader who is combing this thread for information on what to buy. Not criticizing your comms setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
I'm not impressed with the amount of wind noise I transmit above 90 klm, so plan to look into a throat mic when funds/time permit
What kind of throat mic were you looking at? I remember the ones we used in the tank, they were awesome.

But then I bought some cheap Cobra or something throat mic for myself that just cannot be placed correctly at all. It seems to be worthless. Kinda hard to test though...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
is there a CB that will hook to this? i searched for waterproof CB and come up VHF marine stuff.....

need to talk to goldwingers
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
What kind of throat mic were you looking at? I remember the ones we used in the tank, they were awesome.

Nothing specific at this stage, busy with other projects atm
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterGdawg View Post
is there a CB that will hook to this? i searched for waterproof CB and come up VHF marine stuff.....

need to talk to goldwingers
The answer is yes you can just need to get the applicable adapter. For example i you get a Midland CB like the Midland 75-822, You just need to get the Rugged radio Midland two prong plugin that fits the radio.

Rugged Radio Adapter
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #27
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Great...can anyone tell me how loud this system is? Compared to say the scala's ? The scalas never seemed loud enuff for me....

Also these days I like to wear ear plugs.....any chance I could hear these while wearing plugs?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #28
Wayne50
RoadStarMan

Oddometer: 42
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterGdawg View Post
Great...can anyone tell me how loud this system is? Compared to say the scala's ? The scalas never seemed loud enuff for me....

Also these days I like to wear ear plugs.....any chance I could hear these while wearing plugs?
I use the Scala and we hear "too loud" sometimes.....but Scala now offers a half helmet ear plug system that should work for you as many must have asked for a way to use ear plugs...

UClear HBC200 is a new system that is supposed to be fantastic.... using military voice recognition and noise cancellation, and it doesn't use a long mic, just a stub out of one of the earpieces. If you can wait until one of the big motorcycle shows they should be there so you can see for yourself. I met the company president at last years. This new one, the 200, can put up to 9 riders together. Almost sounds too good to be true.... but I think I'm going to get one anyway for my trip to the Alps next summer as I need to me able to communicate instantly and well with my riding partner.
Wayne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne50 View Post
I use the Scala and we hear "too loud" sometimes.....but Scala now offers a half helmet ear plug system that should work for you as many must have asked for a way to use ear plugs...

UClear HBC200 is a new system that is supposed to be fantastic.... using military voice recognition and noise cancellation, and it doesn't use a long mic, just a stub out of one of the earpieces. If you can wait until one of the big motorcycle shows they should be there so you can see for yourself. I met the company president at last years. This new one, the 200, can put up to 9 riders together. Almost sounds too good to be true.... but I think I'm going to get one anyway for my trip to the Alps next summer as I need to me able to communicate instantly and well with my riding partner.
You can hook up far more than that by connecting a radio. With radio comms not everyone needs the same system radio, headset etc. As long as they are on the same freq you have comms. These proprietary linkup systems that require everyone to have the same headset are a waste of time because nobody will. Especially when your paying 400 bucks like the HB200. You have a 400 dollar headset that you can't use with anyone else.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Anyone interested in Bike comms should read this thread on SDAR.